SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
Herbert G. Greve, 81 of Savanna, Illinois passed away Veterans Day, 11-12-12. A memorial gathering of family and friends celebrating Herb’s life will be held at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Hall in Savanna on Saturday Nov 17th from 9:30am-11am, Mass at 11am with Father Alto officiating and burial will follow in the Savanna Township Cemetery.
Herb was born May 29, 1931 to Hazel Meier and Herbert J Greve of Teeds Grove, Iowa. Herb graduated high school in 1947 and later enlisted in the United States Navy. On October 20, 1951 Herb married Kay Rivera of Savanna.
Throughout his Naval career as an Aviation Electronics Technician, Herb was assigned to the USS Huntington 1948-1949, the USS Stallion, 1949-1951, the USS Shakori, 1951-1953, the USS Orion, 1953- 1954, the USS Essex, 1965-1967. Among his many achievements, Herb was awarded the Bronze Star as well as five medals of Good Conduct. Herb retired Senior Chief Petty Officer and was honorably discharged in 1969 when he and his family relocated to Savanna. As supervisor, Herb was employed at Chemplex in Clinton, Iowa retiring after 20 years in 1989. He was a member of the St. John the Baptist Church and the American Legion, Post 148 in Savanna.
Herb enjoyed spending time with his family and sharing his many life experiences, which were always followed by a lesson learned. He was a skilled craftsman and had a special talent for problem solving and a well-used phrase which best described him; “if he didn’t have it, he’d invent it...If he couldn’t build it, you didn’t need it.”
Herb was a unique and proud man, and will be greatly missed by his loving family and many friends.
Herb is survived by his wife Kay, of 61 years, his son Rick Greve (Cheryl) of Des Moines, Ia and daughter, Vicki Hartman (Kim) of Galesburg, il. His grandchildren, Chris, Nic, Jessica, Vanessa, and Colin, step-grandchildren, Josh, Adam and Karissa, great-grandchildren, Gavyn, Ella, Mia and Natali.
Memorials can be made to the Carroll County Humane Society.
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- More Obituaries Headlines