SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
Herbert G. Greve, 81 of Savanna, Illinois passed away Veterans Day, 11-12-12. A memorial gathering of family and friends celebrating Herb’s life will be held at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Hall in Savanna on Saturday Nov 17th from 9:30am-11am, Mass at 11am with Father Alto officiating and burial will follow in the Savanna Township Cemetery.
Herb was born May 29, 1931 to Hazel Meier and Herbert J Greve of Teeds Grove, Iowa. Herb graduated high school in 1947 and later enlisted in the United States Navy. On October 20, 1951 Herb married Kay Rivera of Savanna.
Throughout his Naval career as an Aviation Electronics Technician, Herb was assigned to the USS Huntington 1948-1949, the USS Stallion, 1949-1951, the USS Shakori, 1951-1953, the USS Orion, 1953- 1954, the USS Essex, 1965-1967. Among his many achievements, Herb was awarded the Bronze Star as well as five medals of Good Conduct. Herb retired Senior Chief Petty Officer and was honorably discharged in 1969 when he and his family relocated to Savanna. As supervisor, Herb was employed at Chemplex in Clinton, Iowa retiring after 20 years in 1989. He was a member of the St. John the Baptist Church and the American Legion, Post 148 in Savanna.
Herb enjoyed spending time with his family and sharing his many life experiences, which were always followed by a lesson learned. He was a skilled craftsman and had a special talent for problem solving and a well-used phrase which best described him; “if he didn’t have it, he’d invent it...If he couldn’t build it, you didn’t need it.”
Herb was a unique and proud man, and will be greatly missed by his loving family and many friends.
Herb is survived by his wife Kay, of 61 years, his son Rick Greve (Cheryl) of Des Moines, Ia and daughter, Vicki Hartman (Kim) of Galesburg, il. His grandchildren, Chris, Nic, Jessica, Vanessa, and Colin, step-grandchildren, Josh, Adam and Karissa, great-grandchildren, Gavyn, Ella, Mia and Natali.
Memorials can be made to the Carroll County Humane Society.
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines