SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
Herbert G. Greve, 81 of Savanna, Illinois passed away Veterans Day, 11-12-12. A memorial gathering of family and friends celebrating Herb’s life will be held at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Hall in Savanna on Saturday Nov 17th from 9:30am-11am, Mass at 11am with Father Alto officiating and burial will follow in the Savanna Township Cemetery.
Herb was born May 29, 1931 to Hazel Meier and Herbert J Greve of Teeds Grove, Iowa. Herb graduated high school in 1947 and later enlisted in the United States Navy. On October 20, 1951 Herb married Kay Rivera of Savanna.
Throughout his Naval career as an Aviation Electronics Technician, Herb was assigned to the USS Huntington 1948-1949, the USS Stallion, 1949-1951, the USS Shakori, 1951-1953, the USS Orion, 1953- 1954, the USS Essex, 1965-1967. Among his many achievements, Herb was awarded the Bronze Star as well as five medals of Good Conduct. Herb retired Senior Chief Petty Officer and was honorably discharged in 1969 when he and his family relocated to Savanna. As supervisor, Herb was employed at Chemplex in Clinton, Iowa retiring after 20 years in 1989. He was a member of the St. John the Baptist Church and the American Legion, Post 148 in Savanna.
Herb enjoyed spending time with his family and sharing his many life experiences, which were always followed by a lesson learned. He was a skilled craftsman and had a special talent for problem solving and a well-used phrase which best described him; “if he didn’t have it, he’d invent it...If he couldn’t build it, you didn’t need it.”
Herb was a unique and proud man, and will be greatly missed by his loving family and many friends.
Herb is survived by his wife Kay, of 61 years, his son Rick Greve (Cheryl) of Des Moines, Ia and daughter, Vicki Hartman (Kim) of Galesburg, il. His grandchildren, Chris, Nic, Jessica, Vanessa, and Colin, step-grandchildren, Josh, Adam and Karissa, great-grandchildren, Gavyn, Ella, Mia and Natali.
Memorials can be made to the Carroll County Humane Society.
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- Donald Hamstra August 19, 1920- December 6, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. -- Donald Hamstra, 93, Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison, died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison. The funeral will be 2:00 P.M., Monday, December 9
- Leslie "Bud" Chandler August 29th, 1924 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Leslie "Bud" Chandler, 89, of Clinton, Iowa passed away peacefully at Mercy Medical Center - North on Dec. 5, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, December 9th at Lemke Funer
- More Obituaries Headlines