SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
Herbert G. Greve, 81 of Savanna, Illinois passed away Veterans Day, 11-12-12. A memorial gathering of family and friends celebrating Herb’s life will be held at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Hall in Savanna on Saturday Nov 17th from 9:30am-11am, Mass at 11am with Father Alto officiating and burial will follow in the Savanna Township Cemetery.
Herb was born May 29, 1931 to Hazel Meier and Herbert J Greve of Teeds Grove, Iowa. Herb graduated high school in 1947 and later enlisted in the United States Navy. On October 20, 1951 Herb married Kay Rivera of Savanna.
Throughout his Naval career as an Aviation Electronics Technician, Herb was assigned to the USS Huntington 1948-1949, the USS Stallion, 1949-1951, the USS Shakori, 1951-1953, the USS Orion, 1953- 1954, the USS Essex, 1965-1967. Among his many achievements, Herb was awarded the Bronze Star as well as five medals of Good Conduct. Herb retired Senior Chief Petty Officer and was honorably discharged in 1969 when he and his family relocated to Savanna. As supervisor, Herb was employed at Chemplex in Clinton, Iowa retiring after 20 years in 1989. He was a member of the St. John the Baptist Church and the American Legion, Post 148 in Savanna.
Herb enjoyed spending time with his family and sharing his many life experiences, which were always followed by a lesson learned. He was a skilled craftsman and had a special talent for problem solving and a well-used phrase which best described him; “if he didn’t have it, he’d invent it...If he couldn’t build it, you didn’t need it.”
Herb was a unique and proud man, and will be greatly missed by his loving family and many friends.
Herb is survived by his wife Kay, of 61 years, his son Rick Greve (Cheryl) of Des Moines, Ia and daughter, Vicki Hartman (Kim) of Galesburg, il. His grandchildren, Chris, Nic, Jessica, Vanessa, and Colin, step-grandchildren, Josh, Adam and Karissa, great-grandchildren, Gavyn, Ella, Mia and Natali.
Memorials can be made to the Carroll County Humane Society.
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines