SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
Herbert G. Greve, 81 of Savanna, Illinois passed away Veterans Day, 11-12-12. A memorial gathering of family and friends celebrating Herb’s life will be held at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Hall in Savanna on Saturday Nov 17th from 9:30am-11am, Mass at 11am with Father Alto officiating and burial will follow in the Savanna Township Cemetery.
Herb was born May 29, 1931 to Hazel Meier and Herbert J Greve of Teeds Grove, Iowa. Herb graduated high school in 1947 and later enlisted in the United States Navy. On October 20, 1951 Herb married Kay Rivera of Savanna.
Throughout his Naval career as an Aviation Electronics Technician, Herb was assigned to the USS Huntington 1948-1949, the USS Stallion, 1949-1951, the USS Shakori, 1951-1953, the USS Orion, 1953- 1954, the USS Essex, 1965-1967. Among his many achievements, Herb was awarded the Bronze Star as well as five medals of Good Conduct. Herb retired Senior Chief Petty Officer and was honorably discharged in 1969 when he and his family relocated to Savanna. As supervisor, Herb was employed at Chemplex in Clinton, Iowa retiring after 20 years in 1989. He was a member of the St. John the Baptist Church and the American Legion, Post 148 in Savanna.
Herb enjoyed spending time with his family and sharing his many life experiences, which were always followed by a lesson learned. He was a skilled craftsman and had a special talent for problem solving and a well-used phrase which best described him; “if he didn’t have it, he’d invent it...If he couldn’t build it, you didn’t need it.”
Herb was a unique and proud man, and will be greatly missed by his loving family and many friends.
Herb is survived by his wife Kay, of 61 years, his son Rick Greve (Cheryl) of Des Moines, Ia and daughter, Vicki Hartman (Kim) of Galesburg, il. His grandchildren, Chris, Nic, Jessica, Vanessa, and Colin, step-grandchildren, Josh, Adam and Karissa, great-grandchildren, Gavyn, Ella, Mia and Natali.
Memorials can be made to the Carroll County Humane Society.
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 29, 1931 - Nov. 11, 2012
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines