Oct. 27, 1930 - March 17, 2013
Georgia Louise Giese, 82, of Camanche, found peace on March 17, 2013, with her family at her side.
Cremation rights have been accorded with a funeral service to be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 23, at First United Methodist Church, Clinton. The family will be available at 1 p.m. to greet visitors before the service and all are invited to join the family for a luncheon at 3 p.m. at Rastrelli’s.
Georgia was born October 27, 1930, in Camanche, Iowa, the daughter of Ralph and Hattie (Powell) Haring. She graduated from Clinton High school in 1949. On December 26, 1949, Georgia married Edward Giese in Clinton.
Georgia worked at a variety of places, Nelsons Lumber, Burpees and Social Services. She retired from Clinton Community College where she worked as a GED examiner.
She was a member of First United Methodist and the YWCA. Georgia volunteered for various organizations from room mother to Foster Care review board and knitting prayer shawls. Georgia loved to travel (some said she had wheels on her ***). She visited countries on six continents and all 50 states. Not one to sit idle, she enjoyed a number of hobbies: ceramics, crocheting, basket weaving and knitting. She loved to collect spoons, angels and Santas.
Those left to honor her memory include her husband, Edward; her son, Eldon and daughter-in-law Billie (Tieso) Giese of Fond du Lac, WI; and her daughter, Christine and son-in-law Michael Powell of Papillion, NE; her five grandchildren, Christina (Robert) Loehr, Jody (Mark) Mentele, Jessica (Scott) Commo, Jon (Cheryl) Powell and Kari (Andrew) Zehren; her nine great-grandchildren: Rueben Westra, Evan and Mariah Loehr, Malia Louise and James Mentele, Sydney and Sophia Commo, Henry and Claire Georgia Zehren; special friends, Ruth and Jay Kieller, Judy and Ken Bonnett and Becky and Jim Muers; and numerous nieces, nephews and friends.
Georgia was preceded in death by her parents; and her brothers, Ralph, Robert and Wayne Haring.
In lieu of flowers, Georgia asked that memorials be directed to the First United Methodist Church or the charity of your choice. The family thanks the staff at the Alverno and Iowa Hospice for their loving care.
Death date: March 17, 2013
Oct. 27, 1930 - March 17, 2013
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines