Oct. 27, 1930 - March 17, 2013
Georgia Louise Giese, 82, of Camanche, found peace on March 17, 2013, with her family at her side.
Cremation rights have been accorded with a funeral service to be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 23, at First United Methodist Church, Clinton. The family will be available at 1 p.m. to greet visitors before the service and all are invited to join the family for a luncheon at 3 p.m. at Rastrelli’s.
Georgia was born October 27, 1930, in Camanche, Iowa, the daughter of Ralph and Hattie (Powell) Haring. She graduated from Clinton High school in 1949. On December 26, 1949, Georgia married Edward Giese in Clinton.
Georgia worked at a variety of places, Nelsons Lumber, Burpees and Social Services. She retired from Clinton Community College where she worked as a GED examiner.
She was a member of First United Methodist and the YWCA. Georgia volunteered for various organizations from room mother to Foster Care review board and knitting prayer shawls. Georgia loved to travel (some said she had wheels on her ***). She visited countries on six continents and all 50 states. Not one to sit idle, she enjoyed a number of hobbies: ceramics, crocheting, basket weaving and knitting. She loved to collect spoons, angels and Santas.
Those left to honor her memory include her husband, Edward; her son, Eldon and daughter-in-law Billie (Tieso) Giese of Fond du Lac, WI; and her daughter, Christine and son-in-law Michael Powell of Papillion, NE; her five grandchildren, Christina (Robert) Loehr, Jody (Mark) Mentele, Jessica (Scott) Commo, Jon (Cheryl) Powell and Kari (Andrew) Zehren; her nine great-grandchildren: Rueben Westra, Evan and Mariah Loehr, Malia Louise and James Mentele, Sydney and Sophia Commo, Henry and Claire Georgia Zehren; special friends, Ruth and Jay Kieller, Judy and Ken Bonnett and Becky and Jim Muers; and numerous nieces, nephews and friends.
Georgia was preceded in death by her parents; and her brothers, Ralph, Robert and Wayne Haring.
In lieu of flowers, Georgia asked that memorials be directed to the First United Methodist Church or the charity of your choice. The family thanks the staff at the Alverno and Iowa Hospice for their loving care.
Death date: March 17, 2013
Oct. 27, 1930 - March 17, 2013
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines