Oct. 27, 1930 - March 17, 2013
Georgia Louise Giese, 82, of Camanche, found peace on March 17, 2013, with her family at her side.
Cremation rights have been accorded with a funeral service to be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 23, at First United Methodist Church, Clinton. The family will be available at 1 p.m. to greet visitors before the service and all are invited to join the family for a luncheon at 3 p.m. at Rastrelli’s.
Georgia was born October 27, 1930, in Camanche, Iowa, the daughter of Ralph and Hattie (Powell) Haring. She graduated from Clinton High school in 1949. On December 26, 1949, Georgia married Edward Giese in Clinton.
Georgia worked at a variety of places, Nelsons Lumber, Burpees and Social Services. She retired from Clinton Community College where she worked as a GED examiner.
She was a member of First United Methodist and the YWCA. Georgia volunteered for various organizations from room mother to Foster Care review board and knitting prayer shawls. Georgia loved to travel (some said she had wheels on her ***). She visited countries on six continents and all 50 states. Not one to sit idle, she enjoyed a number of hobbies: ceramics, crocheting, basket weaving and knitting. She loved to collect spoons, angels and Santas.
Those left to honor her memory include her husband, Edward; her son, Eldon and daughter-in-law Billie (Tieso) Giese of Fond du Lac, WI; and her daughter, Christine and son-in-law Michael Powell of Papillion, NE; her five grandchildren, Christina (Robert) Loehr, Jody (Mark) Mentele, Jessica (Scott) Commo, Jon (Cheryl) Powell and Kari (Andrew) Zehren; her nine great-grandchildren: Rueben Westra, Evan and Mariah Loehr, Malia Louise and James Mentele, Sydney and Sophia Commo, Henry and Claire Georgia Zehren; special friends, Ruth and Jay Kieller, Judy and Ken Bonnett and Becky and Jim Muers; and numerous nieces, nephews and friends.
Georgia was preceded in death by her parents; and her brothers, Ralph, Robert and Wayne Haring.
In lieu of flowers, Georgia asked that memorials be directed to the First United Methodist Church or the charity of your choice. The family thanks the staff at the Alverno and Iowa Hospice for their loving care.
Death date: March 17, 2013
Oct. 27, 1930 - March 17, 2013
- Helen Louise Kerr DeWitt Helen Louise Kerr Helen Louise Kerr, 77, of DeWitt, died at Clarrisa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Henry F. Arkenberg Clinton Henry F. Arkenberg Henry F. Arkenberg, 75, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens Maquoketa Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens Michael D. "Mike" Stevens, 47, of Maquoketa died Saturday at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Kathleen M. Petras CAMANCHE -- Kathleen M. Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. A celebration of life will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday at Lemke Funeral Homes, south chapel. Death date: March 10, 2014 Kathleen M. Petras
- Geffrey E. Galloway Geffrey E. Galloway March 11, 1950 - March 6, 2014 MECHANICSVILLE -- Geffrey E. Galloway, 63, died March 6, 2014 in his Mechanicsville home. Visitation/open house for Geff will be from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 13 at Fry Funeral Home in Ti
- William Wagner THOMSON, Ill. -- William Wagner, 90, of Thomson, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Thomson. Burial with military rites will take place at Lower York C
- Richard N. Varner Richard N. Varner May 29, 1929 - March 9, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center South Campus. Honoring his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Funeral services will be Thursday,
- James C. Thyne James C. Thyne Feb. 19, 1952 - March 10, 2014 CLINTON -- James C. Thyne, age 62, of Clinton, passed away Monday, March 10, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. A Mass will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, March 15th, at Prince of Peace Par
- Alberta J. Wiebenga MORRISON, Ill. -- Alberta J. Wiebenga, 82, of Morrison, died Monday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home with Ken Renkes, director of Congrega
- Bernice Bartels DELMAR -- Bernice Bartels, 93, of Delmar, died Tuesday at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday at First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at th
- More Obituaries Headlines