GOOSE LAKE —
Dec. 17, 1922 - Dec. 27, 2012
Alberta V. Young, age 90, of Goose Lake, Iowa, died Thursday, December 27, 2012.
A funeral service will be held 10 a.m. Wednesday, January 2, 2013, at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, Preston, with Pastor Greg Geier officiating. A visitation will be held from 9 to 10 a.m. prior to the service at the church. Burial will take place in the Center Grove Cemetery, rural Goose Lake. A visitation will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. Tuesday. January 1, 2012, at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, Preston.
Pallbearers will be her grandchildren and spouses, Dan and Sheila Bormann and Ryan and Marci Unruh; two grandchildren, Lance Bormann and Shelby Bormann; and two nephews, Steve Young and Lonnie Diercks.
In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been established in Alberta’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Alberta was born on December 17, 1922, the daughter of John and Viola (Gielow) Stolk in rural Clinton, Iowa. She attended Goose Lake High School and graduated with the class of 1941. She married Meredith W. Young on February 3, 1942, in Kahoka, Missouri. Meredith died on August 31, 1993.
Alberta farmed with her husband for 30 years before retiring and moving to town in 1974. She also worked in the Goose Lake school lunchroom for 15 years. She was a member of St. John’s Lutheran Church in Preston, Iowa, where she taught Sunday school for over 40 years. Alberta was also a member of the Mary Circle and the Women of the Moose. Alberta loved playing card games and visiting with friends. Most of all, Alberta enjoyed spending time with family.
Alberta will be dearly missed by her daughter, Sandra Ann (Robert) Unruh of Charlotte, Iowa; two grandchildren, Sheila (Dan) Bormann of Clinton, Iowa, and Ryan (Marci) Unruh of DeWitt, Iowa; and two great-grandchildren, Lance and Shelby Bormann of Clinton.
Alberta was preceded in death by her parents John and Viola; and husband, Meredith.
Death date: Dec. 27, 2012
GOOSE LAKE —
Dec. 17, 1922 - Dec. 27, 2012
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines