May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
Allen E. Chekal, 87, of Clinton, died Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, East Campus, Davenport, Iowa.
Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Saturday, January 12, 2013, at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Burial will be in the Springdale Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post 28. Serving as pallbearers will be Gary Bengtson, Gordy Bell, Gary Verdon, Randy Meier, John Chekal and Michael Chekal. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until the service time Saturday at the church. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is assisting the family. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Allen Edward Chekal was born on May 13, 1925, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of John and Agnes (Musel) Chekal the youngest of 8 children. He was a 1943 graduate of St. Mary’s High School. He was an all-around athlete and played baseball at St. Mary’s. He left high school a week before graduation by standing up in class and stating that he was enlisting in the United States Navy. He served during World War II stationed in the South Pacific on the Amedee Island off the coast of New Caledonia. He was also stationed in the Philippines where he guarded prisoners of war. After being discharged, he married Betty Weinbeck on August 9, 1946.
Allen was a foreman in the feed house at Clinton Corn from 1946-1970. He was also employed at Ralston Purina until retiring in 1990.
Allen was a lifelong Catholic and was an avid hunter and fisherman. He had a duck blind on Beaver Island for over 50 years. He enjoyed all sports especially baseball playing in the Industrial leagues. In his later years he entertained his family with his countless stories of the South Pacific and South Clinton.
Allen is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Betty of Clinton; four daughters: Barbara (Gary) Bengtson of Naperville, Illinois, Alison (Gordy) Bell of Waterloo, Iowa, Marcia (Gary Verdon) Chekal of Hinsdale, Illinois, and Christine (Randy) Meier of Clinton; two sons, John (Eileen) Chekal of Omaha, Nebraska, and Michael (Renee) Chekal of Glenwood, Iowa; 13 grandchildren: Matthew, Angie, Christin, Missy, Hannah, Madeline, Ellen, Katie, Jessica, Jacob, Laura, Christopher and Alex; 5 great-grandchildren: Alison, Sarah, Lauren, Connor and Cecilia.
Allen was preceded in death by his parents, three sisters and four brothers.
Memorials can be made to the Clinton AMVETS or a favorite charity.
Death date: Jan. 9, 2013
May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines