May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
Allen E. Chekal, 87, of Clinton, died Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, East Campus, Davenport, Iowa.
Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Saturday, January 12, 2013, at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Burial will be in the Springdale Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post 28. Serving as pallbearers will be Gary Bengtson, Gordy Bell, Gary Verdon, Randy Meier, John Chekal and Michael Chekal. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until the service time Saturday at the church. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is assisting the family. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Allen Edward Chekal was born on May 13, 1925, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of John and Agnes (Musel) Chekal the youngest of 8 children. He was a 1943 graduate of St. Mary’s High School. He was an all-around athlete and played baseball at St. Mary’s. He left high school a week before graduation by standing up in class and stating that he was enlisting in the United States Navy. He served during World War II stationed in the South Pacific on the Amedee Island off the coast of New Caledonia. He was also stationed in the Philippines where he guarded prisoners of war. After being discharged, he married Betty Weinbeck on August 9, 1946.
Allen was a foreman in the feed house at Clinton Corn from 1946-1970. He was also employed at Ralston Purina until retiring in 1990.
Allen was a lifelong Catholic and was an avid hunter and fisherman. He had a duck blind on Beaver Island for over 50 years. He enjoyed all sports especially baseball playing in the Industrial leagues. In his later years he entertained his family with his countless stories of the South Pacific and South Clinton.
Allen is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Betty of Clinton; four daughters: Barbara (Gary) Bengtson of Naperville, Illinois, Alison (Gordy) Bell of Waterloo, Iowa, Marcia (Gary Verdon) Chekal of Hinsdale, Illinois, and Christine (Randy) Meier of Clinton; two sons, John (Eileen) Chekal of Omaha, Nebraska, and Michael (Renee) Chekal of Glenwood, Iowa; 13 grandchildren: Matthew, Angie, Christin, Missy, Hannah, Madeline, Ellen, Katie, Jessica, Jacob, Laura, Christopher and Alex; 5 great-grandchildren: Alison, Sarah, Lauren, Connor and Cecilia.
Allen was preceded in death by his parents, three sisters and four brothers.
Memorials can be made to the Clinton AMVETS or a favorite charity.
Death date: Jan. 9, 2013
May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
- Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Aug. 11, 1939 - Dec. 10, 2013 CLINTON -- Elizabeth "Betty" E. Grossman, 74, of Clinton, Iowa passed away at the University of Iowa Hospitals on December 10th, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Frid
- Martha Belle Rhoden Savanna, Ill. Martha Belle Rhoden Martha Belle Rhoden, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. Arrangements are pending at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna.
- Donald E. Ludvigsen Donald E. Ludvigsen Dec. 5, 1930 - Dec. 9, 2013 CLINTON -- Donald E. Ludvigsen, age 83, of Clinton, died Monday Dec. 9, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. There will be no visitation or funeral services held; cremation rites have been accorded. The
- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis MILES -- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis, 84, died Monday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Preston. A visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 to 11 a.m. a
- LaVerne A. Reckinger Sr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- LaVerne A. Reckinger, Sr., 86, of Savanna, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna. Burial will take place in Marywood Catholic
- Marian Rose Marian Rose April 7, 1919 - Dec. 9, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Marian Rose, 94, of Fulton, died Monday, December 9, 2013, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, IL. Funeral service is at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- More Obituaries Headlines