May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
Allen E. Chekal, 87, of Clinton, died Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, East Campus, Davenport, Iowa.
Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Saturday, January 12, 2013, at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Burial will be in the Springdale Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post 28. Serving as pallbearers will be Gary Bengtson, Gordy Bell, Gary Verdon, Randy Meier, John Chekal and Michael Chekal. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until the service time Saturday at the church. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is assisting the family. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Allen Edward Chekal was born on May 13, 1925, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of John and Agnes (Musel) Chekal the youngest of 8 children. He was a 1943 graduate of St. Mary’s High School. He was an all-around athlete and played baseball at St. Mary’s. He left high school a week before graduation by standing up in class and stating that he was enlisting in the United States Navy. He served during World War II stationed in the South Pacific on the Amedee Island off the coast of New Caledonia. He was also stationed in the Philippines where he guarded prisoners of war. After being discharged, he married Betty Weinbeck on August 9, 1946.
Allen was a foreman in the feed house at Clinton Corn from 1946-1970. He was also employed at Ralston Purina until retiring in 1990.
Allen was a lifelong Catholic and was an avid hunter and fisherman. He had a duck blind on Beaver Island for over 50 years. He enjoyed all sports especially baseball playing in the Industrial leagues. In his later years he entertained his family with his countless stories of the South Pacific and South Clinton.
Allen is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Betty of Clinton; four daughters: Barbara (Gary) Bengtson of Naperville, Illinois, Alison (Gordy) Bell of Waterloo, Iowa, Marcia (Gary Verdon) Chekal of Hinsdale, Illinois, and Christine (Randy) Meier of Clinton; two sons, John (Eileen) Chekal of Omaha, Nebraska, and Michael (Renee) Chekal of Glenwood, Iowa; 13 grandchildren: Matthew, Angie, Christin, Missy, Hannah, Madeline, Ellen, Katie, Jessica, Jacob, Laura, Christopher and Alex; 5 great-grandchildren: Alison, Sarah, Lauren, Connor and Cecilia.
Allen was preceded in death by his parents, three sisters and four brothers.
Memorials can be made to the Clinton AMVETS or a favorite charity.
Death date: Jan. 9, 2013
May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen, age 72 of Belmont, CA formerly of San Francisco, CA died February 28, 2014. Per his wishes he was cremated. A memorial service will be April 4, 2014 and his ashes will be scattered in San Francisco Bay.
Mary Ann "Ma" Finn
Formerly of Fulton, IL, Ann was born in Glasgow, Scotland, & immigrated to America with her family. She worked at A.C. Neilsen Co. & Eagles Grocery Store.
- Wilma Reichling MAQUOKETA -- Wilma Reichling, 90, of Maquoketa, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Clover Ridge in Maquoketa. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Vi
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Clinton Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jackson Rhys Laurion CLINTON -- Jackson Rhys Laurion, infant son of Levi and Jessica Laurion, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation wil
- Donald A. Lass Donald A. Lass Jan. 4, 1937 - March 3, 2014 CLINTON -- Donald A. Lass took his Savior's hand and stepped into paradise early Monday morning, March 3, 2014, his father's birthday, after succumbing to long-term effects of Parkinson's disease. Cremation
- Martin 'Marty' Fritz LANARK, Ill. -- Martin "Marty" Fritz, 89, of Lanark, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna, Ill. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the First Brethren Church in Lanark, with Pastor E. C. Lathrop officiating. Military rit
- Richard S. “Dick” Lewandowski, Jr.
- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal OMAHA, Neb. -- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal, 71, of Omaha, died Feb. 13. Memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. March 29 with Captain Allen Otto officiating the service at the Salvation Army Citadel, 219 First Ave., with a luncheon to follow at the
- James L. 'Jamie' Yarolem BALDWIN -- James L. "Jamie" Yarolem, 48, of Baldwin, died Sunday at his mother's home in rural Baldwin. Friends and family may gather in remembrance on Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Cremation has taken p
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen