May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
Allen E. Chekal, 87, of Clinton, died Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, East Campus, Davenport, Iowa.
Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Saturday, January 12, 2013, at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Burial will be in the Springdale Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post 28. Serving as pallbearers will be Gary Bengtson, Gordy Bell, Gary Verdon, Randy Meier, John Chekal and Michael Chekal. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until the service time Saturday at the church. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is assisting the family. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Allen Edward Chekal was born on May 13, 1925, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of John and Agnes (Musel) Chekal the youngest of 8 children. He was a 1943 graduate of St. Mary’s High School. He was an all-around athlete and played baseball at St. Mary’s. He left high school a week before graduation by standing up in class and stating that he was enlisting in the United States Navy. He served during World War II stationed in the South Pacific on the Amedee Island off the coast of New Caledonia. He was also stationed in the Philippines where he guarded prisoners of war. After being discharged, he married Betty Weinbeck on August 9, 1946.
Allen was a foreman in the feed house at Clinton Corn from 1946-1970. He was also employed at Ralston Purina until retiring in 1990.
Allen was a lifelong Catholic and was an avid hunter and fisherman. He had a duck blind on Beaver Island for over 50 years. He enjoyed all sports especially baseball playing in the Industrial leagues. In his later years he entertained his family with his countless stories of the South Pacific and South Clinton.
Allen is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Betty of Clinton; four daughters: Barbara (Gary) Bengtson of Naperville, Illinois, Alison (Gordy) Bell of Waterloo, Iowa, Marcia (Gary Verdon) Chekal of Hinsdale, Illinois, and Christine (Randy) Meier of Clinton; two sons, John (Eileen) Chekal of Omaha, Nebraska, and Michael (Renee) Chekal of Glenwood, Iowa; 13 grandchildren: Matthew, Angie, Christin, Missy, Hannah, Madeline, Ellen, Katie, Jessica, Jacob, Laura, Christopher and Alex; 5 great-grandchildren: Alison, Sarah, Lauren, Connor and Cecilia.
Allen was preceded in death by his parents, three sisters and four brothers.
Memorials can be made to the Clinton AMVETS or a favorite charity.
Death date: Jan. 9, 2013
May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines