FULTON, Ill. —
Feb. 2, 1944 - Feb. 11, 2013
Vernon R. Collins, 69, of Fulton, died Monday, February 11, 2013, at the Alverno health care facility, Clinton.
Vern was born on February 2, 1944, in Savanna, IL, the son of Radke V. and Gladys L. (Petersen) Collins. He graduated from Sabula High School, Sabula, IA, in 1962, and earned his BA degree from Western Illinois University in 1980. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam Conflict era; he was stationed in Pensacola, FL, and was assigned to the U.S.S. Cambria. He served in Adak, AK, and was deployed to San Miguel, Philippines.
He married Suzanne Richman on April 22, 1967, in Miles, IA.
He was employed by Ralston Purina (Clinton) for 31 years, retiring on September 25, 2001. Vern was a member of the Second Reformed Church, Fulton, and was a member of the choir. He was a former member and past commander of the Fulton American Legion, former member and worshipful master of the Sabula Masonic Lodge AF&AM, the Shriners Lodge of Clinton, IA. He was also an avid hunter. He was a member of the Clinton Municipal Band where he played the tuba. He was the former auctioneer for the Clinton County Heart Association annual fundraiser. He was the former chairman of the Fulton Zoning Committee. When he was junior high age he also worked as a commercial fisherman in Sabula, IA. He was an outstanding husband, father and grandfather of whom was gifted with his love and generosity. He was a hard worker and loved life.
Survivors include his wife, Sue, of Fulton, IL; 1 daughter, Rhonda (Paul) Mussmann of Clinton, IA; a son, Daniel V. (Lisa) Collins of Eldridge, IA; 5 grandchildren: Hunter Daniel Collins, Alexander Paul Mussmann, Riley Danielle Collins, Nicholas Paul Mussmann and Alisha Renee Mussmann; and 1 sister, Karen (Lee) Foxworthy of Kansas City, MO.
He is preceded in death by his parents.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, February 13, 2013, in the McDonald Funeral Home, Fulton, IL. Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Thursday, February 14, 2013, in the McDonald Funeral Home, Fulton, IL, with Reverend Tom Loyola of the Evangelical Free Church, Clinton, IA, officiating. Burial will be in the Fulton Township Cemetery, Fulton, IL. A memorial has been established to Second Reformed Church, Fulton, or to Medical Associates, Clinton, IA, Diabetic Forum.
To leave online condolences visit mcdonaldfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 11, 2013
FULTON, Ill. —
Feb. 2, 1944 - Feb. 11, 2013
- Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Aug. 11, 1939 - Dec. 10, 2013 CLINTON -- Elizabeth "Betty" E. Grossman, 74, of Clinton, Iowa passed away at the University of Iowa Hospitals on December 10th, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Frid
- Martha Belle Rhoden Savanna, Ill. Martha Belle Rhoden Martha Belle Rhoden, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. Arrangements are pending at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna.
- Donald E. Ludvigsen Donald E. Ludvigsen Dec. 5, 1930 - Dec. 9, 2013 CLINTON -- Donald E. Ludvigsen, age 83, of Clinton, died Monday Dec. 9, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. There will be no visitation or funeral services held; cremation rites have been accorded. The
- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis MILES -- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis, 84, died Monday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Preston. A visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 to 11 a.m. a
- LaVerne A. Reckinger Sr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- LaVerne A. Reckinger, Sr., 86, of Savanna, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna. Burial will take place in Marywood Catholic
- Marian Rose Marian Rose April 7, 1919 - Dec. 9, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Marian Rose, 94, of Fulton, died Monday, December 9, 2013, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, IL. Funeral service is at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- More Obituaries Headlines