FULTON, Ill. —
Feb. 2, 1944 - Feb. 11, 2013
Vernon R. Collins, 69, of Fulton, died Monday, February 11, 2013, at the Alverno health care facility, Clinton.
Vern was born on February 2, 1944, in Savanna, IL, the son of Radke V. and Gladys L. (Petersen) Collins. He graduated from Sabula High School, Sabula, IA, in 1962, and earned his BA degree from Western Illinois University in 1980. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam Conflict era; he was stationed in Pensacola, FL, and was assigned to the U.S.S. Cambria. He served in Adak, AK, and was deployed to San Miguel, Philippines.
He married Suzanne Richman on April 22, 1967, in Miles, IA.
He was employed by Ralston Purina (Clinton) for 31 years, retiring on September 25, 2001. Vern was a member of the Second Reformed Church, Fulton, and was a member of the choir. He was a former member and past commander of the Fulton American Legion, former member and worshipful master of the Sabula Masonic Lodge AF&AM, the Shriners Lodge of Clinton, IA. He was also an avid hunter. He was a member of the Clinton Municipal Band where he played the tuba. He was the former auctioneer for the Clinton County Heart Association annual fundraiser. He was the former chairman of the Fulton Zoning Committee. When he was junior high age he also worked as a commercial fisherman in Sabula, IA. He was an outstanding husband, father and grandfather of whom was gifted with his love and generosity. He was a hard worker and loved life.
Survivors include his wife, Sue, of Fulton, IL; 1 daughter, Rhonda (Paul) Mussmann of Clinton, IA; a son, Daniel V. (Lisa) Collins of Eldridge, IA; 5 grandchildren: Hunter Daniel Collins, Alexander Paul Mussmann, Riley Danielle Collins, Nicholas Paul Mussmann and Alisha Renee Mussmann; and 1 sister, Karen (Lee) Foxworthy of Kansas City, MO.
He is preceded in death by his parents.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, February 13, 2013, in the McDonald Funeral Home, Fulton, IL. Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Thursday, February 14, 2013, in the McDonald Funeral Home, Fulton, IL, with Reverend Tom Loyola of the Evangelical Free Church, Clinton, IA, officiating. Burial will be in the Fulton Township Cemetery, Fulton, IL. A memorial has been established to Second Reformed Church, Fulton, or to Medical Associates, Clinton, IA, Diabetic Forum.
To leave online condolences visit mcdonaldfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 11, 2013
FULTON, Ill. —
Feb. 2, 1944 - Feb. 11, 2013
- Geffrey E. Galloway Geffrey E. Galloway March 11, 1950 - March 6, 2014 MECHANICSVILLE -- Geffrey E. Galloway, 63, died March 6, 2014 in his Mechanicsville home. Visitation/open house for Geff will be from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 13 at Fry Funeral Home in Ti
- William Wagner THOMSON, Ill. -- William Wagner, 90, of Thomson, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Thomson. Burial with military rites will take place at Lower York C
- Richard N. Varner Richard N. Varner May 29, 1929 - March 9, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center South Campus. Honoring his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Funeral services will be Thursday,
- James C. Thyne James C. Thyne Feb. 19, 1952 - March 10, 2014 CLINTON -- James C. Thyne, age 62, of Clinton, passed away Monday, March 10, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. A Mass will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, March 15th, at Prince of Peace Par
- Alberta J. Wiebenga MORRISON, Ill. -- Alberta J. Wiebenga, 82, of Morrison, died Monday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home with Ken Renkes, director of Congrega
- Bernice Bartels DELMAR -- Bernice Bartels, 93, of Delmar, died Tuesday at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday at First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at th
- Michael Scott Lord Michael Scott Lord June 10, 1964 - March 9, 2014 SIKESTON, Mo. -- Michael Scott Lord, age 49, formerly of Maysville, was born June 10, 1964 and passed away March 9, 2014 in Sikeston, Missouri. Michael was a graduate of Maysville High School and Misso
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- More Obituaries Headlines