FULTON, Ill. —
Feb. 2, 1944 - Feb. 11, 2013
Vernon R. Collins, 69, of Fulton, died Monday, February 11, 2013, at the Alverno health care facility, Clinton.
Vern was born on February 2, 1944, in Savanna, IL, the son of Radke V. and Gladys L. (Petersen) Collins. He graduated from Sabula High School, Sabula, IA, in 1962, and earned his BA degree from Western Illinois University in 1980. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam Conflict era; he was stationed in Pensacola, FL, and was assigned to the U.S.S. Cambria. He served in Adak, AK, and was deployed to San Miguel, Philippines.
He married Suzanne Richman on April 22, 1967, in Miles, IA.
He was employed by Ralston Purina (Clinton) for 31 years, retiring on September 25, 2001. Vern was a member of the Second Reformed Church, Fulton, and was a member of the choir. He was a former member and past commander of the Fulton American Legion, former member and worshipful master of the Sabula Masonic Lodge AF&AM, the Shriners Lodge of Clinton, IA. He was also an avid hunter. He was a member of the Clinton Municipal Band where he played the tuba. He was the former auctioneer for the Clinton County Heart Association annual fundraiser. He was the former chairman of the Fulton Zoning Committee. When he was junior high age he also worked as a commercial fisherman in Sabula, IA. He was an outstanding husband, father and grandfather of whom was gifted with his love and generosity. He was a hard worker and loved life.
Survivors include his wife, Sue, of Fulton, IL; 1 daughter, Rhonda (Paul) Mussmann of Clinton, IA; a son, Daniel V. (Lisa) Collins of Eldridge, IA; 5 grandchildren: Hunter Daniel Collins, Alexander Paul Mussmann, Riley Danielle Collins, Nicholas Paul Mussmann and Alisha Renee Mussmann; and 1 sister, Karen (Lee) Foxworthy of Kansas City, MO.
He is preceded in death by his parents.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, February 13, 2013, in the McDonald Funeral Home, Fulton, IL. Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Thursday, February 14, 2013, in the McDonald Funeral Home, Fulton, IL, with Reverend Tom Loyola of the Evangelical Free Church, Clinton, IA, officiating. Burial will be in the Fulton Township Cemetery, Fulton, IL. A memorial has been established to Second Reformed Church, Fulton, or to Medical Associates, Clinton, IA, Diabetic Forum.
To leave online condolences visit mcdonaldfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 11, 2013
FULTON, Ill. —
Feb. 2, 1944 - Feb. 11, 2013
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines