FULTON, Ill. —
Feb. 2, 1944 - Feb. 11, 2013
Vernon R. Collins, 69, of Fulton, died Monday, February 11, 2013, at the Alverno health care facility, Clinton.
Vern was born on February 2, 1944, in Savanna, IL, the son of Radke V. and Gladys L. (Petersen) Collins. He graduated from Sabula High School, Sabula, IA, in 1962, and earned his BA degree from Western Illinois University in 1980. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam Conflict era; he was stationed in Pensacola, FL, and was assigned to the U.S.S. Cambria. He served in Adak, AK, and was deployed to San Miguel, Philippines.
He married Suzanne Richman on April 22, 1967, in Miles, IA.
He was employed by Ralston Purina (Clinton) for 31 years, retiring on September 25, 2001. Vern was a member of the Second Reformed Church, Fulton, and was a member of the choir. He was a former member and past commander of the Fulton American Legion, former member and worshipful master of the Sabula Masonic Lodge AF&AM, the Shriners Lodge of Clinton, IA. He was also an avid hunter. He was a member of the Clinton Municipal Band where he played the tuba. He was the former auctioneer for the Clinton County Heart Association annual fundraiser. He was the former chairman of the Fulton Zoning Committee. When he was junior high age he also worked as a commercial fisherman in Sabula, IA. He was an outstanding husband, father and grandfather of whom was gifted with his love and generosity. He was a hard worker and loved life.
Survivors include his wife, Sue, of Fulton, IL; 1 daughter, Rhonda (Paul) Mussmann of Clinton, IA; a son, Daniel V. (Lisa) Collins of Eldridge, IA; 5 grandchildren: Hunter Daniel Collins, Alexander Paul Mussmann, Riley Danielle Collins, Nicholas Paul Mussmann and Alisha Renee Mussmann; and 1 sister, Karen (Lee) Foxworthy of Kansas City, MO.
He is preceded in death by his parents.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, February 13, 2013, in the McDonald Funeral Home, Fulton, IL. Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Thursday, February 14, 2013, in the McDonald Funeral Home, Fulton, IL, with Reverend Tom Loyola of the Evangelical Free Church, Clinton, IA, officiating. Burial will be in the Fulton Township Cemetery, Fulton, IL. A memorial has been established to Second Reformed Church, Fulton, or to Medical Associates, Clinton, IA, Diabetic Forum.
To leave online condolences visit mcdonaldfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 11, 2013
FULTON, Ill. —
Feb. 2, 1944 - Feb. 11, 2013
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- More Obituaries Headlines