Sept. 23, 1920 - Feb. 15, 2013
Cleo “Mac” McDevitt, age 92, of Clinton, passed away Friday, February 15, 2013, at Mercy Medical Center North.
In following Mac’s wishes, cremations rites have been accorded. A Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. on Friday, February 22, 2013, at Prince of Peace Parish. A gathering of family and friends will take place from 9 a.m. until the service time Friday at the church. Burial will be in St. Irenaeus Calvary Cemetery. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family.
Mac was born in DeWitt on September 23, 1920, the son of Frank and Loretta (Naughton) McDevitt. He graduated from Calamus High School in 1938. Mac married Irene “Tooty” Schanze on June 6, 1940, at St. James Catholic Church in Toronto, Iowa. Mac and Tooty farmed in the Clinton area. Mac retired from Carstensen Freight Lines after 37 years. He was a member of Prince of Peace Parish, Fulton Country Club, Loyal Order of Moose and the AMVETS. While in high school, Mac was a Midwest Area Golden Gloves Boxing Champion. He enjoyed his family and many friends, swimming, golfing and was an avid sports fan, following both the Iowa Hawkeyes and Wisconsin Badgers.
Mac is survived by his wife, Tooty; two sons, Ronald (Ginger) McDevitt of Newport Beach, CA, and Patrick (Lorelei) McDevitt of Austin, TX; three grandchildren, Ron II (Nikki) McDevitt, Deborah McDevitt and Sean (Rena) McDevitt; two great-grandchildren, Sydney and Josh; a sister, Mildred Drummond of Davenport; and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Gene; and five sisters, Veronica, Madonna, Geraldine, Kathleen and Betty.
In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that donations be sent to Clinton High School Boosters (Swimming) c/o R. Farwell at 343 5th Ave. S., Clinton, IA. 52732.
Online condolences can be left at www.papefh.com.
Death date: Feb. 15, 2013
Sept. 23, 1920 - Feb. 15, 2013
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines