Oct. 18, 1917 - Nov. 23, 2012
Raymond O. Eggers, age 95, of Clinton, died Friday Nov. 23, 2012 at Mercy Living Center North.
Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Monday Nov. 26th at Faith Lutheran Church in Andover. Visitation will be held Monday 9:30 a.m. until the service hour at the church. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Casket bearers will be his nephews. Honorary pallbearers will be his grandchildren and special friends. Memorials may be given to the church. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Raymond Otto Eggers was born October 8, 1917, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of Hans and Emma (Jones) Eggers. He was confirmed on November 30, 1934. Raymond was a charter member of Faith Lutheran Church in Andover, where he served on the church council.
He farmed his entire life on the family farm located south of Andover. On December 27, 1939, he married Jeanette Mommsen who was his devoted partner in farming, church work, playing cards, dancing and travelling with friends and family.
Raymond was admired for his dedicated work ethic and rejoiced with the dawning of each new day with chores to do and another farm task to complete. He was always the first to help a neighbor in need and would not leave until the last task was done. Threshing oats with his neighbors, making hay, filling silos, and building new sheds are lingering treasured memories of working together. Donating blood for others was also a very important part of Raymond’s life not only during the war but also for many, many years thereafter. He surpassed the five gallon donor achievement early in his life and continued to donate whenever the hospital called.
Surprisingly, Raymond appreciated a good joke from painting the dog’s tail to throwing off his grandsons’ shoes and having them catch them while baling hay. One of his famous euphemisms was “Age before beauty, wear out the old first” and then he would say, “Hey, kid get that gate open!!”
Lastly, he loved playing board games and cards with his grandchildren. His greatest loves and joys in later years were the babies he could hold and welcome on his lap. And finally, the sincere handshakes from his family and friends at Faith Lutheran Church were the most generous, appreciated. blessed gifts that he received during worship. What joy those hands gave him.
His family includes daughters; Janice Gray (Ron) of Miles, IA; Phyllis (Ed) Hazelhurst of Prescot, AZ; Laurie (Steve) Wood of Iowa City, IA; Marcia (Steve) Witt of Clinton, IA; and son Eugene (Virginia) Eggers of Clinton, IA. He will be missed by fourteen grandchildren and their families of twenty-nine great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife Jeanette, a sister, Erma Jorgensen and four brothers: Clifford, Peter, Leonard and Edward. Also preceding his death was grandson Michael Gray, great granddaughter Hannah Erickson, great grandchild Rene Ploeger, and son-in-law Ron Gray.
Death date: Nov. 23, 2012
Oct. 18, 1917 - Nov. 23, 2012
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Lawrence 'Larry' E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. A funeral service will be held at noon Wednesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will take pla
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- George A. Decker George A. Decker May 13, 1921 - Dec. 7, 2013 BETTENDORF -- Funeral services and a Mass of Christian Burial for George A. Decker, 92, a resident of Bettendorf, will be 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, 1506
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- More Obituaries Headlines