Oct. 18, 1917 - Nov. 23, 2012
Raymond O. Eggers, age 95, of Clinton, died Friday Nov. 23, 2012 at Mercy Living Center North.
Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Monday Nov. 26th at Faith Lutheran Church in Andover. Visitation will be held Monday 9:30 a.m. until the service hour at the church. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Casket bearers will be his nephews. Honorary pallbearers will be his grandchildren and special friends. Memorials may be given to the church. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Raymond Otto Eggers was born October 8, 1917, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of Hans and Emma (Jones) Eggers. He was confirmed on November 30, 1934. Raymond was a charter member of Faith Lutheran Church in Andover, where he served on the church council.
He farmed his entire life on the family farm located south of Andover. On December 27, 1939, he married Jeanette Mommsen who was his devoted partner in farming, church work, playing cards, dancing and travelling with friends and family.
Raymond was admired for his dedicated work ethic and rejoiced with the dawning of each new day with chores to do and another farm task to complete. He was always the first to help a neighbor in need and would not leave until the last task was done. Threshing oats with his neighbors, making hay, filling silos, and building new sheds are lingering treasured memories of working together. Donating blood for others was also a very important part of Raymond’s life not only during the war but also for many, many years thereafter. He surpassed the five gallon donor achievement early in his life and continued to donate whenever the hospital called.
Surprisingly, Raymond appreciated a good joke from painting the dog’s tail to throwing off his grandsons’ shoes and having them catch them while baling hay. One of his famous euphemisms was “Age before beauty, wear out the old first” and then he would say, “Hey, kid get that gate open!!”
Lastly, he loved playing board games and cards with his grandchildren. His greatest loves and joys in later years were the babies he could hold and welcome on his lap. And finally, the sincere handshakes from his family and friends at Faith Lutheran Church were the most generous, appreciated. blessed gifts that he received during worship. What joy those hands gave him.
His family includes daughters; Janice Gray (Ron) of Miles, IA; Phyllis (Ed) Hazelhurst of Prescot, AZ; Laurie (Steve) Wood of Iowa City, IA; Marcia (Steve) Witt of Clinton, IA; and son Eugene (Virginia) Eggers of Clinton, IA. He will be missed by fourteen grandchildren and their families of twenty-nine great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife Jeanette, a sister, Erma Jorgensen and four brothers: Clifford, Peter, Leonard and Edward. Also preceding his death was grandson Michael Gray, great granddaughter Hannah Erickson, great grandchild Rene Ploeger, and son-in-law Ron Gray.
Death date: Nov. 23, 2012
Oct. 18, 1917 - Nov. 23, 2012
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines