Oct. 18, 1917 - Nov. 23, 2012
Raymond O. Eggers, age 95, of Clinton, died Friday Nov. 23, 2012 at Mercy Living Center North.
Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Monday Nov. 26th at Faith Lutheran Church in Andover. Visitation will be held Monday 9:30 a.m. until the service hour at the church. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Casket bearers will be his nephews. Honorary pallbearers will be his grandchildren and special friends. Memorials may be given to the church. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Raymond Otto Eggers was born October 8, 1917, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of Hans and Emma (Jones) Eggers. He was confirmed on November 30, 1934. Raymond was a charter member of Faith Lutheran Church in Andover, where he served on the church council.
He farmed his entire life on the family farm located south of Andover. On December 27, 1939, he married Jeanette Mommsen who was his devoted partner in farming, church work, playing cards, dancing and travelling with friends and family.
Raymond was admired for his dedicated work ethic and rejoiced with the dawning of each new day with chores to do and another farm task to complete. He was always the first to help a neighbor in need and would not leave until the last task was done. Threshing oats with his neighbors, making hay, filling silos, and building new sheds are lingering treasured memories of working together. Donating blood for others was also a very important part of Raymond’s life not only during the war but also for many, many years thereafter. He surpassed the five gallon donor achievement early in his life and continued to donate whenever the hospital called.
Surprisingly, Raymond appreciated a good joke from painting the dog’s tail to throwing off his grandsons’ shoes and having them catch them while baling hay. One of his famous euphemisms was “Age before beauty, wear out the old first” and then he would say, “Hey, kid get that gate open!!”
Lastly, he loved playing board games and cards with his grandchildren. His greatest loves and joys in later years were the babies he could hold and welcome on his lap. And finally, the sincere handshakes from his family and friends at Faith Lutheran Church were the most generous, appreciated. blessed gifts that he received during worship. What joy those hands gave him.
His family includes daughters; Janice Gray (Ron) of Miles, IA; Phyllis (Ed) Hazelhurst of Prescot, AZ; Laurie (Steve) Wood of Iowa City, IA; Marcia (Steve) Witt of Clinton, IA; and son Eugene (Virginia) Eggers of Clinton, IA. He will be missed by fourteen grandchildren and their families of twenty-nine great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife Jeanette, a sister, Erma Jorgensen and four brothers: Clifford, Peter, Leonard and Edward. Also preceding his death was grandson Michael Gray, great granddaughter Hannah Erickson, great grandchild Rene Ploeger, and son-in-law Ron Gray.
Death date: Nov. 23, 2012
Oct. 18, 1917 - Nov. 23, 2012
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- More Obituaries Headlines