March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
Gordon DeLay Meyers, age 97, of Clinton, formerly of Davenport, passed away on Saturday, November 24, 2012, at the Alverno in Clinton.
Services will be conducted by Rev. Paul Holmer at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 6 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the funeral home with a Rose Croix service conducted at 7 p.m.; and on Wednesday, one hour prior to service time. Burial will be in Davenport Memorial Park. Memorials may be made to Immanuel Lutheran Church (Clinton), Shriners Hospitals for Children, Guardian Angels Pet Rescue, or any charity of choice.
Gordon DeLay Meyers was born March 28, 1915, in Kankakee, Illinois, to Robert Albert and Jessie Melinda DeLay Meyers. Gordon was a 1934 graduate of Kankakee High School. He was a tool and die maker, serving his apprenticeship at the Roper Stove Works in Kankakee.
On October 31, 1936, he married Marjorie M. Fleming at her family’s rural home near Marseilles, Illinois. Marjorie and Gordon began their married life in Chicago. They moved to Davenport, Iowa, in 1940 and resided there for over 65 years. Gordon was employed at Reynold’s Engineering Company in Rock Island and the Rock Island Arsenal, retiring in 1977. In 2008, upon the death of his wife, Gordon moved to Sarah Harding Senior Living in Clinton where he resided until moving to the Alverno in June, 2012.
Gordon was an active member of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Davenport, for many years before transferring his membership to Immanuel Lutheran Church in Clinton. He was a member of Roosevelt Lodge 626 in Davenport, a member of the Kaaba Shriners and the Kaaba Shriners Greeters, and a member of High Twelve, Davenport and Clinton. He was extremely proud of his affiliation with the Shriners and the work of the Shriners Hospitals for children.
In addition to being a skilled tool and die maker by profession, Gordon was a skilled craftsman and woodworker by avocation. He made many clocks, tables, quilt racks, bookends, and vases, primarily from cherry and oak, and one special cradle which has been used by all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Gordon is survived by his daughter, Mary Melinda Smith (Raymond), Clinton, Iowa; his daughter-in-law, Janis Meyers, Galesburg, Illinois; grandchildren, Gregory (Marcia) Smith, Marion, Iowa, Mark (Kris) Smith, Iowa City, Iowa, and Kristen (Scott) Shumard Sterling, Illinois; seven great-grandchildren, Michael, Emily, Elizabeth, Ryan, Jason, Aaron and Laura; one niece and three nephews. Also left to honor his memory is his dear friend Marian Irey.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Marjorie, and his son, Paul Gordon Meyers, in 2008.
Online condolences may be expressed to Gordon’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen, age 72 of Belmont, CA formerly of San Francisco, CA died February 28, 2014. Per his wishes he was cremated. A memorial service will be April 4, 2014 and his ashes will be scattered in San Francisco Bay.
Mary Ann "Ma" Finn
Formerly of Fulton, IL, Ann was born in Glasgow, Scotland, & immigrated to America with her family. She worked at A.C. Neilsen Co. & Eagles Grocery Store.
- Wilma Reichling MAQUOKETA -- Wilma Reichling, 90, of Maquoketa, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Clover Ridge in Maquoketa. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Vi
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Clinton Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jackson Rhys Laurion CLINTON -- Jackson Rhys Laurion, infant son of Levi and Jessica Laurion, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation wil
- Donald A. Lass Donald A. Lass Jan. 4, 1937 - March 3, 2014 CLINTON -- Donald A. Lass took his Savior's hand and stepped into paradise early Monday morning, March 3, 2014, his father's birthday, after succumbing to long-term effects of Parkinson's disease. Cremation
- Martin 'Marty' Fritz LANARK, Ill. -- Martin "Marty" Fritz, 89, of Lanark, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna, Ill. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the First Brethren Church in Lanark, with Pastor E. C. Lathrop officiating. Military rit
- Richard S. “Dick” Lewandowski, Jr.
- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal OMAHA, Neb. -- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal, 71, of Omaha, died Feb. 13. Memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. March 29 with Captain Allen Otto officiating the service at the Salvation Army Citadel, 219 First Ave., with a luncheon to follow at the
- James L. 'Jamie' Yarolem BALDWIN -- James L. "Jamie" Yarolem, 48, of Baldwin, died Sunday at his mother's home in rural Baldwin. Friends and family may gather in remembrance on Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Cremation has taken p
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen