March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
Gordon DeLay Meyers, age 97, of Clinton, formerly of Davenport, passed away on Saturday, November 24, 2012, at the Alverno in Clinton.
Services will be conducted by Rev. Paul Holmer at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 6 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the funeral home with a Rose Croix service conducted at 7 p.m.; and on Wednesday, one hour prior to service time. Burial will be in Davenport Memorial Park. Memorials may be made to Immanuel Lutheran Church (Clinton), Shriners Hospitals for Children, Guardian Angels Pet Rescue, or any charity of choice.
Gordon DeLay Meyers was born March 28, 1915, in Kankakee, Illinois, to Robert Albert and Jessie Melinda DeLay Meyers. Gordon was a 1934 graduate of Kankakee High School. He was a tool and die maker, serving his apprenticeship at the Roper Stove Works in Kankakee.
On October 31, 1936, he married Marjorie M. Fleming at her family’s rural home near Marseilles, Illinois. Marjorie and Gordon began their married life in Chicago. They moved to Davenport, Iowa, in 1940 and resided there for over 65 years. Gordon was employed at Reynold’s Engineering Company in Rock Island and the Rock Island Arsenal, retiring in 1977. In 2008, upon the death of his wife, Gordon moved to Sarah Harding Senior Living in Clinton where he resided until moving to the Alverno in June, 2012.
Gordon was an active member of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Davenport, for many years before transferring his membership to Immanuel Lutheran Church in Clinton. He was a member of Roosevelt Lodge 626 in Davenport, a member of the Kaaba Shriners and the Kaaba Shriners Greeters, and a member of High Twelve, Davenport and Clinton. He was extremely proud of his affiliation with the Shriners and the work of the Shriners Hospitals for children.
In addition to being a skilled tool and die maker by profession, Gordon was a skilled craftsman and woodworker by avocation. He made many clocks, tables, quilt racks, bookends, and vases, primarily from cherry and oak, and one special cradle which has been used by all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Gordon is survived by his daughter, Mary Melinda Smith (Raymond), Clinton, Iowa; his daughter-in-law, Janis Meyers, Galesburg, Illinois; grandchildren, Gregory (Marcia) Smith, Marion, Iowa, Mark (Kris) Smith, Iowa City, Iowa, and Kristen (Scott) Shumard Sterling, Illinois; seven great-grandchildren, Michael, Emily, Elizabeth, Ryan, Jason, Aaron and Laura; one niece and three nephews. Also left to honor his memory is his dear friend Marian Irey.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Marjorie, and his son, Paul Gordon Meyers, in 2008.
Online condolences may be expressed to Gordon’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- More Obituaries Headlines