March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
Gordon DeLay Meyers, age 97, of Clinton, formerly of Davenport, passed away on Saturday, November 24, 2012, at the Alverno in Clinton.
Services will be conducted by Rev. Paul Holmer at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 6 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the funeral home with a Rose Croix service conducted at 7 p.m.; and on Wednesday, one hour prior to service time. Burial will be in Davenport Memorial Park. Memorials may be made to Immanuel Lutheran Church (Clinton), Shriners Hospitals for Children, Guardian Angels Pet Rescue, or any charity of choice.
Gordon DeLay Meyers was born March 28, 1915, in Kankakee, Illinois, to Robert Albert and Jessie Melinda DeLay Meyers. Gordon was a 1934 graduate of Kankakee High School. He was a tool and die maker, serving his apprenticeship at the Roper Stove Works in Kankakee.
On October 31, 1936, he married Marjorie M. Fleming at her family’s rural home near Marseilles, Illinois. Marjorie and Gordon began their married life in Chicago. They moved to Davenport, Iowa, in 1940 and resided there for over 65 years. Gordon was employed at Reynold’s Engineering Company in Rock Island and the Rock Island Arsenal, retiring in 1977. In 2008, upon the death of his wife, Gordon moved to Sarah Harding Senior Living in Clinton where he resided until moving to the Alverno in June, 2012.
Gordon was an active member of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Davenport, for many years before transferring his membership to Immanuel Lutheran Church in Clinton. He was a member of Roosevelt Lodge 626 in Davenport, a member of the Kaaba Shriners and the Kaaba Shriners Greeters, and a member of High Twelve, Davenport and Clinton. He was extremely proud of his affiliation with the Shriners and the work of the Shriners Hospitals for children.
In addition to being a skilled tool and die maker by profession, Gordon was a skilled craftsman and woodworker by avocation. He made many clocks, tables, quilt racks, bookends, and vases, primarily from cherry and oak, and one special cradle which has been used by all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Gordon is survived by his daughter, Mary Melinda Smith (Raymond), Clinton, Iowa; his daughter-in-law, Janis Meyers, Galesburg, Illinois; grandchildren, Gregory (Marcia) Smith, Marion, Iowa, Mark (Kris) Smith, Iowa City, Iowa, and Kristen (Scott) Shumard Sterling, Illinois; seven great-grandchildren, Michael, Emily, Elizabeth, Ryan, Jason, Aaron and Laura; one niece and three nephews. Also left to honor his memory is his dear friend Marian Irey.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Marjorie, and his son, Paul Gordon Meyers, in 2008.
Online condolences may be expressed to Gordon’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, died Thursday, at her home. Funeral Services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory with Rev. Chris Minor-Heilig officiating. Burial will be in
- Robert Petersen Clinton Robert Petersen Robert Petersen, 84, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Leslie C. Chandler Clinton Leslie C. Chandler Leslie C. Chandler, 89, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes South Chapel.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, died Wednesday, Mercy Medical Center North. A funeral Mass will be 1 p.m. Saturday at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Burial visitation will be Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Clint
- Carl Junior Anderson Carl Junior Anderson Oct. 19, 2013 - Dec. 5, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Carl Junior Anderson loved his country, veterans and collecting and shooting his guns. He died at age 73 in Thomson, Illinois, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at his home surrounded by hi
- Madonna Finch Clinton Madonna Finch Madonna Finch, 80, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Nora Glazier LYNDON, Ill. -- Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at the Morrison Chapel of the
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- More Obituaries Headlines