March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
Gordon DeLay Meyers, age 97, of Clinton, formerly of Davenport, passed away on Saturday, November 24, 2012, at the Alverno in Clinton.
Services will be conducted by Rev. Paul Holmer at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 6 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the funeral home with a Rose Croix service conducted at 7 p.m.; and on Wednesday, one hour prior to service time. Burial will be in Davenport Memorial Park. Memorials may be made to Immanuel Lutheran Church (Clinton), Shriners Hospitals for Children, Guardian Angels Pet Rescue, or any charity of choice.
Gordon DeLay Meyers was born March 28, 1915, in Kankakee, Illinois, to Robert Albert and Jessie Melinda DeLay Meyers. Gordon was a 1934 graduate of Kankakee High School. He was a tool and die maker, serving his apprenticeship at the Roper Stove Works in Kankakee.
On October 31, 1936, he married Marjorie M. Fleming at her family’s rural home near Marseilles, Illinois. Marjorie and Gordon began their married life in Chicago. They moved to Davenport, Iowa, in 1940 and resided there for over 65 years. Gordon was employed at Reynold’s Engineering Company in Rock Island and the Rock Island Arsenal, retiring in 1977. In 2008, upon the death of his wife, Gordon moved to Sarah Harding Senior Living in Clinton where he resided until moving to the Alverno in June, 2012.
Gordon was an active member of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Davenport, for many years before transferring his membership to Immanuel Lutheran Church in Clinton. He was a member of Roosevelt Lodge 626 in Davenport, a member of the Kaaba Shriners and the Kaaba Shriners Greeters, and a member of High Twelve, Davenport and Clinton. He was extremely proud of his affiliation with the Shriners and the work of the Shriners Hospitals for children.
In addition to being a skilled tool and die maker by profession, Gordon was a skilled craftsman and woodworker by avocation. He made many clocks, tables, quilt racks, bookends, and vases, primarily from cherry and oak, and one special cradle which has been used by all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Gordon is survived by his daughter, Mary Melinda Smith (Raymond), Clinton, Iowa; his daughter-in-law, Janis Meyers, Galesburg, Illinois; grandchildren, Gregory (Marcia) Smith, Marion, Iowa, Mark (Kris) Smith, Iowa City, Iowa, and Kristen (Scott) Shumard Sterling, Illinois; seven great-grandchildren, Michael, Emily, Elizabeth, Ryan, Jason, Aaron and Laura; one niece and three nephews. Also left to honor his memory is his dear friend Marian Irey.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Marjorie, and his son, Paul Gordon Meyers, in 2008.
Online condolences may be expressed to Gordon’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines