1916 - 2012
John Robert Detwiler, 96, of Clinton, died Saturday, July 21, 2012, at Mercy Living Center, North.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Thursday, July 26, 2012, at the First United Presbyterian Church, Clinton.
A Rose Croix service will precede the memorial service. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory assisted the family with arrangements. Interment will be held at a later date at the Bellerive Cemetery, Creve Coeur, MO.
John was born May 17, 1916, in St. Louis, MO, the son of Robert and Augusta (Boehmer) Detwiler. He was a graduate of Roosevelt High School, St. Louis, MO, and attended North Western University. He married Hortense “Hort” Vollmer on February June 2, 1937, in St. Louis, MO; she died February 26, 2004.
He was employed with the Frisco Railroad for 40 years, retiring in 1976 as assistant controller.
John was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church, the Association of American Railroads where he held several offices, was a member of the Masonic Temple in the St. Louis area for more than 60 years and Scottish Rite Bodies in Joplin, MO. John was very family oriented and loved his job.
He is survived by his daughters, Dianne C. (Jon) DeBruin of Clinton, IA, and Colette (John) Clark of Keokuk, IA; four grandchildren, Eric DeBruin, Erin Hulshizer, Sarah Clark-Huffman and Meg Clark-Rhodes; and five great-grandchildren.
In addition to his wife, he was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers, two sisters and a great-grandson, Nicholas Hulshizer.
Memorials may be made to First United Presbyterian Church in Clinton or to Mercy Living Center North.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 21, 2012
1916 - 2012
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- More Obituaries Headlines