1916 - 2012
John Robert Detwiler, 96, of Clinton, died Saturday, July 21, 2012, at Mercy Living Center, North.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Thursday, July 26, 2012, at the First United Presbyterian Church, Clinton.
A Rose Croix service will precede the memorial service. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory assisted the family with arrangements. Interment will be held at a later date at the Bellerive Cemetery, Creve Coeur, MO.
John was born May 17, 1916, in St. Louis, MO, the son of Robert and Augusta (Boehmer) Detwiler. He was a graduate of Roosevelt High School, St. Louis, MO, and attended North Western University. He married Hortense “Hort” Vollmer on February June 2, 1937, in St. Louis, MO; she died February 26, 2004.
He was employed with the Frisco Railroad for 40 years, retiring in 1976 as assistant controller.
John was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church, the Association of American Railroads where he held several offices, was a member of the Masonic Temple in the St. Louis area for more than 60 years and Scottish Rite Bodies in Joplin, MO. John was very family oriented and loved his job.
He is survived by his daughters, Dianne C. (Jon) DeBruin of Clinton, IA, and Colette (John) Clark of Keokuk, IA; four grandchildren, Eric DeBruin, Erin Hulshizer, Sarah Clark-Huffman and Meg Clark-Rhodes; and five great-grandchildren.
In addition to his wife, he was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers, two sisters and a great-grandson, Nicholas Hulshizer.
Memorials may be made to First United Presbyterian Church in Clinton or to Mercy Living Center North.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 21, 2012
1916 - 2012
- Justin G. Curtin PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Justin G. Curtin, 30, of Prophetstown, died Monday at home. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Bosma-Gibson Funeral Home
- Martha Belle Rhode SAVANNA, Ill. -- Martha Belle Rhode, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing facility in Savanna. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the United Methodist Church in Savanna, with the Rev. Sejoon Jang officiating. Memorial
- Sheila A. Jones Sheila A. Jones Aug. 4, 1963 - Dec. 11, 2013 CLINTON -- Sheila A. Jones, age 50, of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton. A gathering of family and friends will be held from 12:00 noon until 2:00 p
- Lillyawana Sky Volker IOWA CITY -- Infant Lillyawana Sky Volker passed away with the assured comfort of her loving parents at her side on December 6th, 2013 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. Lillyawana was born November 19th, 2013 in Iowa City, Iowa, the daughter of J
- Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Aug. 11, 1939 - Dec. 10, 2013 CLINTON -- Elizabeth "Betty" E. Grossman, 74, of Clinton, Iowa passed away at the University of Iowa Hospitals on December 10th, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Frid
- Martha Belle Rhoden Savanna, Ill. Martha Belle Rhoden Martha Belle Rhoden, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. Arrangements are pending at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna.
- Donald E. Ludvigsen Donald E. Ludvigsen Dec. 5, 1930 - Dec. 9, 2013 CLINTON -- Donald E. Ludvigsen, age 83, of Clinton, died Monday Dec. 9, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. There will be no visitation or funeral services held; cremation rites have been accorded. The
- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis MILES -- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis, 84, died Monday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Preston. A visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 to 11 a.m. a
- LaVerne A. Reckinger Sr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- LaVerne A. Reckinger, Sr., 86, of Savanna, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna. Burial will take place in Marywood Catholic
- Marian Rose Marian Rose April 7, 1919 - Dec. 9, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Marian Rose, 94, of Fulton, died Monday, December 9, 2013, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, IL. Funeral service is at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma
- More Obituaries Headlines