1916 - 2012
John Robert Detwiler, 96, of Clinton, died Saturday, July 21, 2012, at Mercy Living Center, North.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Thursday, July 26, 2012, at the First United Presbyterian Church, Clinton.
A Rose Croix service will precede the memorial service. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory assisted the family with arrangements. Interment will be held at a later date at the Bellerive Cemetery, Creve Coeur, MO.
John was born May 17, 1916, in St. Louis, MO, the son of Robert and Augusta (Boehmer) Detwiler. He was a graduate of Roosevelt High School, St. Louis, MO, and attended North Western University. He married Hortense “Hort” Vollmer on February June 2, 1937, in St. Louis, MO; she died February 26, 2004.
He was employed with the Frisco Railroad for 40 years, retiring in 1976 as assistant controller.
John was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church, the Association of American Railroads where he held several offices, was a member of the Masonic Temple in the St. Louis area for more than 60 years and Scottish Rite Bodies in Joplin, MO. John was very family oriented and loved his job.
He is survived by his daughters, Dianne C. (Jon) DeBruin of Clinton, IA, and Colette (John) Clark of Keokuk, IA; four grandchildren, Eric DeBruin, Erin Hulshizer, Sarah Clark-Huffman and Meg Clark-Rhodes; and five great-grandchildren.
In addition to his wife, he was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers, two sisters and a great-grandson, Nicholas Hulshizer.
Memorials may be made to First United Presbyterian Church in Clinton or to Mercy Living Center North.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 21, 2012
1916 - 2012
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines