ROCK ISLAND, Ill. —
March 18, 1931 - Oct. 5, 2012
George J. Brown, 81, of Rock Island, IL, formerly of DeWitt and Moline, died Friday, October 5, 2012, at Genesis East Medical Center in Davenport, Iowa.
Visitation will be Tuesday, October 9, from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Wendt Funeral Home in Moline. Services will be held Wednesday, October 10, at 10 a.m. at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church, 2930 31st Avenue, Rock Island, IL. Burial will take place at National Cemetery on Arsenal Island in Rock Island, IL, with military rites accorded by American Legion Post #246 of Moline.
Memorials may be made to Saint George Greek Orthodox Church in Rock Island.
George James Brown was born in Moline on March 18, 1931, to James and Katherine (Kapandis) Brown. On April 28, 1957, in East Moline, he married Mary G. Soulis, who preceded him in death on January 23, 2009.
He retired from the U.S. Navy in 1996, after 36+ years of service. George operated Brown’s Shoe Barn in DeWitt, IA, from 1956 until 1988, and then operated Brown’s Shoe Hospital in Moline, until his retirement in 1998.
He was a member of Saint George Greek Orthodox Church in Rock Island, and a lifetime member of Moline American Legion Post #246.
George was a very active member of the Navy Reserves in the Quad-City area during his time in the Navy. He was exceptionally proud of his service. He served on the USS Wasp during his active duty years, and attended several Wasp reunions, keeping in touch with his many Navy friends over the years.
Survivors include two daughters: Katherine Jones (Tim) of Keosauqua, IA, and Helen Langston (Sam) of Milan, IL; two sons: James G. Brown (Mary) of Cedar Rapids, IA, and Steven Brown (Corrine) of Paducah, KY; a sister: Mary Meader of Arizona; and six grandchildren: Lauren and Jared (Jim), Jesse and Jennifer (Helen), Christopher and Jaime (Steve). He also had two great-grandchildren; Emily and Robert (Steve).
In addition to Mary, his wife of 55 years, he was preceded in death by his parents, three sisters, a brother, and a daughter, Georgia Brown.
Online condolences may be sent at www.wendtfuneralhome.com.
Death date: Oct. 5, 2012
ROCK ISLAND, Ill. —
March 18, 1931 - Oct. 5, 2012
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- Mary Anne Knox Mary Anne Knox May 26, 1928 - Dec. 2, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Anne Knox, 85, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully at the Alverno on December 2, 2013. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 7 at the Greater True Love Baptis
- Dorothy M. Schaver Dorothy M. Schaver Oct. 4, 1927 - Dec. 3, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Dorothy M. Schaver, 86, of Fulton, died Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at her home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, December 7, 2013, at the Trinity Reformed Church i
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines