June 13, 1963 - Feb. 10, 2013
Andrea Marie Griep, 49, formerly of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, February 10, 2013, at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois.
A service will be held at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, at 11 a.m. Saturday, February 16, 2013, with visitation one hour prior. Full military honors and interment will follow at Elmwood Cemetery, DeWitt.
Andrea was born June 13, 1963, in Maquoketa, Iowa, to Thomas and Mona (Regenwether) Griep. She graduated from Central Community Schools in DeWitt and attended the University of Central Oklahoma with a degree in nursing.
Andrea had an extensive career in the military and healthcare field. Lieutenant Commander Griep, a nurse officer, was assigned as the Assistant Health Services Administrator at the Chicago Metropolitan Correctional Center and retired February 1st from the United States Public Health Service. LCDR Griep joined the Army in Oct 1981 and later joined the USPHS as a Senior COSTEP in September of 1996 and came on Active Duty in November 1997 at Fort Worth, Texas. She also served at Terre Haute (2005-2007) and arrived in Chicago in Feb 2007 where she remained until her retirement.
Andrea was passionate about children and played an active role in charities dedicated to child trafficking and child abuse. She was commended for her supervisory ability and nursing skills and talents. Andrea was promoted quickly and made rank at 21 years of age, setting an army precedent.
Survivors include her mother and brother, Mona and Jeff Griep of DeWitt; aunts, uncles, and cousins; a close friend and caregiver, Dana Rodriquez of Chicago, as well as countless other friends.
Preceding Andrea in death were her father, grandparents and an uncle.
Condolences may be expressed and photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
What though the radiance which was once so bright be now for ever taken from my sight, Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower; We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind... — Splendor in the Grass, 1961.
Death date: Feb. 10, 2013
June 13, 1963 - Feb. 10, 2013
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines