June 13, 1963 - Feb. 10, 2013
Andrea Marie Griep, 49, formerly of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, February 10, 2013, at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois.
A service will be held at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, at 11 a.m. Saturday, February 16, 2013, with visitation one hour prior. Full military honors and interment will follow at Elmwood Cemetery, DeWitt.
Andrea was born June 13, 1963, in Maquoketa, Iowa, to Thomas and Mona (Regenwether) Griep. She graduated from Central Community Schools in DeWitt and attended the University of Central Oklahoma with a degree in nursing.
Andrea had an extensive career in the military and healthcare field. Lieutenant Commander Griep, a nurse officer, was assigned as the Assistant Health Services Administrator at the Chicago Metropolitan Correctional Center and retired February 1st from the United States Public Health Service. LCDR Griep joined the Army in Oct 1981 and later joined the USPHS as a Senior COSTEP in September of 1996 and came on Active Duty in November 1997 at Fort Worth, Texas. She also served at Terre Haute (2005-2007) and arrived in Chicago in Feb 2007 where she remained until her retirement.
Andrea was passionate about children and played an active role in charities dedicated to child trafficking and child abuse. She was commended for her supervisory ability and nursing skills and talents. Andrea was promoted quickly and made rank at 21 years of age, setting an army precedent.
Survivors include her mother and brother, Mona and Jeff Griep of DeWitt; aunts, uncles, and cousins; a close friend and caregiver, Dana Rodriquez of Chicago, as well as countless other friends.
Preceding Andrea in death were her father, grandparents and an uncle.
Condolences may be expressed and photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
What though the radiance which was once so bright be now for ever taken from my sight, Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower; We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind... — Splendor in the Grass, 1961.
Death date: Feb. 10, 2013
June 13, 1963 - Feb. 10, 2013
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- Mary Anne Knox Mary Anne Knox May 26, 1928 - Dec. 2, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Anne Knox, 85, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully at the Alverno on December 2, 2013. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 7 at the Greater True Love Baptis
- Dorothy M. Schaver Dorothy M. Schaver Oct. 4, 1927 - Dec. 3, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Dorothy M. Schaver, 86, of Fulton, died Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at her home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, December 7, 2013, at the Trinity Reformed Church i
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines