Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
John M. McDonald, age 79, of Preston, Iowa, passed away Friday, February 15, 2013, at Crestridge Care Center, Maquoketa, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Preston with a rosary service held at 6:30 p.m. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, February 19, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Preston, with Father Don Hertges as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery, Preston, with military rites accorded by the Preston AMVETS Post 140 and the Preston American Legion Post 602. A memorial fund has been established in John’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
John was born at home on October 20, 1933, the son of John and Marjorie (Lanaghan) McDonald Sr. in rural Preston, Iowa. He attended Goose Lake High School and graduated with the class of 1951. After graduation, John served with the military police in the United States Army in Korea, during the Korean War. John married Grace Frazee on December 28, 1962, and recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
John farmed all of his life and enjoyed his shorthorn cattle. He was a longtime 4-H leader and served on the Clinton County Fair Board for several years. When he was younger, he enjoyed playing baseball and later slow-pitch softball. John was an avid Iowa Hawkeyes fan and a long-suffering Chicago Cubs fan. Most of all, John loved spending time with his family. John was the proud parent of two sons, Shawn DeWitt McDonald and Shannon Matthew McDonald; and two grandchildren, Connor Shawn McDonald and Makenna Grace McDonald.
John is survived and lovingly remembered by his wife, Grace McDonald of Preston; one son, Shawn (Shelly) McDonald of Preston; two grandchildren, Connor and Makenna McDonald of Preston; and one brother, James (Trula) McDonald of Preston.
John was preceded in death by his parents; one son, Shannon McDonald; and one sister, Ann Elizabeth (James) Determan.
Death date: Feb. 15, 2013
Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- Nellie Douma Morrison, Ill.Nellie DoumaNellie Douma, 97, of Morrison, died Jan. 21 at Morrison Community Hospital.Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Brentley Louis Kemp MAQUOKETA — Brentley Louis Kemp, infant son of Justin and Michelle (Pierson) Kemp, of Maquoketa, died July 10.Private services will be held. Death date: July 10, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DEWITT — Brenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus.
- Bernice Viola Sander Bernice Viola SanderOct. 17, 1913 - July 17, 2014CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday, July 17, 2014 at home after 100 great years and will be missed by all her family.Memorial services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, July 25, 2
- More Obituaries Headlines