Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
John M. McDonald, age 79, of Preston, Iowa, passed away Friday, February 15, 2013, at Crestridge Care Center, Maquoketa, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Preston with a rosary service held at 6:30 p.m. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, February 19, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Preston, with Father Don Hertges as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery, Preston, with military rites accorded by the Preston AMVETS Post 140 and the Preston American Legion Post 602. A memorial fund has been established in John’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
John was born at home on October 20, 1933, the son of John and Marjorie (Lanaghan) McDonald Sr. in rural Preston, Iowa. He attended Goose Lake High School and graduated with the class of 1951. After graduation, John served with the military police in the United States Army in Korea, during the Korean War. John married Grace Frazee on December 28, 1962, and recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
John farmed all of his life and enjoyed his shorthorn cattle. He was a longtime 4-H leader and served on the Clinton County Fair Board for several years. When he was younger, he enjoyed playing baseball and later slow-pitch softball. John was an avid Iowa Hawkeyes fan and a long-suffering Chicago Cubs fan. Most of all, John loved spending time with his family. John was the proud parent of two sons, Shawn DeWitt McDonald and Shannon Matthew McDonald; and two grandchildren, Connor Shawn McDonald and Makenna Grace McDonald.
John is survived and lovingly remembered by his wife, Grace McDonald of Preston; one son, Shawn (Shelly) McDonald of Preston; two grandchildren, Connor and Makenna McDonald of Preston; and one brother, James (Trula) McDonald of Preston.
John was preceded in death by his parents; one son, Shannon McDonald; and one sister, Ann Elizabeth (James) Determan.
Death date: Feb. 15, 2013
Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- Donald Hamstra August 19, 1920- December 6, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. -- Donald Hamstra, 93, Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison, died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison. The funeral will be 2:00 P.M., Monday, December 9
- Leslie "Bud" Chandler August 29th, 1924 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Leslie "Bud" Chandler, 89, of Clinton, Iowa passed away peacefully at Mercy Medical Center - North on Dec. 5, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, December 9th at Lemke Funer
- More Obituaries Headlines