Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
John M. McDonald, age 79, of Preston, Iowa, passed away Friday, February 15, 2013, at Crestridge Care Center, Maquoketa, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Preston with a rosary service held at 6:30 p.m. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, February 19, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Preston, with Father Don Hertges as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery, Preston, with military rites accorded by the Preston AMVETS Post 140 and the Preston American Legion Post 602. A memorial fund has been established in John’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
John was born at home on October 20, 1933, the son of John and Marjorie (Lanaghan) McDonald Sr. in rural Preston, Iowa. He attended Goose Lake High School and graduated with the class of 1951. After graduation, John served with the military police in the United States Army in Korea, during the Korean War. John married Grace Frazee on December 28, 1962, and recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
John farmed all of his life and enjoyed his shorthorn cattle. He was a longtime 4-H leader and served on the Clinton County Fair Board for several years. When he was younger, he enjoyed playing baseball and later slow-pitch softball. John was an avid Iowa Hawkeyes fan and a long-suffering Chicago Cubs fan. Most of all, John loved spending time with his family. John was the proud parent of two sons, Shawn DeWitt McDonald and Shannon Matthew McDonald; and two grandchildren, Connor Shawn McDonald and Makenna Grace McDonald.
John is survived and lovingly remembered by his wife, Grace McDonald of Preston; one son, Shawn (Shelly) McDonald of Preston; two grandchildren, Connor and Makenna McDonald of Preston; and one brother, James (Trula) McDonald of Preston.
John was preceded in death by his parents; one son, Shannon McDonald; and one sister, Ann Elizabeth (James) Determan.
Death date: Feb. 15, 2013
Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- James C. Thyne Clinton James C. Thyne James C. Thyne, 62, of Clinton, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Pamela J. Harlock Pamela J. Harlock Aug. 16, 1951 - March 6, 2014 CLINTON -- Pamela J. Harlock, age 63, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, TX. Funeral services will be held Friday at 10:30 a.m. March 14th at the Pape Funeral Home
- Gary M. Ferris FULTON, Ill. -- Gary M. Ferris, 67, of Fulton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. There will be no visitation or funeral services. Cremation rites have been accorded. Death date: March 9, 2014 Gary M. Ferris
- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson ANDREW -- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at her home, from injuries sustained in a house fire. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation
- Catherine Petras Camanche Catherine Petras Catherine Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines