Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
John M. McDonald, age 79, of Preston, Iowa, passed away Friday, February 15, 2013, at Crestridge Care Center, Maquoketa, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Preston with a rosary service held at 6:30 p.m. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, February 19, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Preston, with Father Don Hertges as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery, Preston, with military rites accorded by the Preston AMVETS Post 140 and the Preston American Legion Post 602. A memorial fund has been established in John’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
John was born at home on October 20, 1933, the son of John and Marjorie (Lanaghan) McDonald Sr. in rural Preston, Iowa. He attended Goose Lake High School and graduated with the class of 1951. After graduation, John served with the military police in the United States Army in Korea, during the Korean War. John married Grace Frazee on December 28, 1962, and recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
John farmed all of his life and enjoyed his shorthorn cattle. He was a longtime 4-H leader and served on the Clinton County Fair Board for several years. When he was younger, he enjoyed playing baseball and later slow-pitch softball. John was an avid Iowa Hawkeyes fan and a long-suffering Chicago Cubs fan. Most of all, John loved spending time with his family. John was the proud parent of two sons, Shawn DeWitt McDonald and Shannon Matthew McDonald; and two grandchildren, Connor Shawn McDonald and Makenna Grace McDonald.
John is survived and lovingly remembered by his wife, Grace McDonald of Preston; one son, Shawn (Shelly) McDonald of Preston; two grandchildren, Connor and Makenna McDonald of Preston; and one brother, James (Trula) McDonald of Preston.
John was preceded in death by his parents; one son, Shannon McDonald; and one sister, Ann Elizabeth (James) Determan.
Death date: Feb. 15, 2013
Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- More Obituaries Headlines