Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
John M. McDonald, age 79, of Preston, Iowa, passed away Friday, February 15, 2013, at Crestridge Care Center, Maquoketa, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Preston with a rosary service held at 6:30 p.m. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, February 19, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Preston, with Father Don Hertges as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery, Preston, with military rites accorded by the Preston AMVETS Post 140 and the Preston American Legion Post 602. A memorial fund has been established in John’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
John was born at home on October 20, 1933, the son of John and Marjorie (Lanaghan) McDonald Sr. in rural Preston, Iowa. He attended Goose Lake High School and graduated with the class of 1951. After graduation, John served with the military police in the United States Army in Korea, during the Korean War. John married Grace Frazee on December 28, 1962, and recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
John farmed all of his life and enjoyed his shorthorn cattle. He was a longtime 4-H leader and served on the Clinton County Fair Board for several years. When he was younger, he enjoyed playing baseball and later slow-pitch softball. John was an avid Iowa Hawkeyes fan and a long-suffering Chicago Cubs fan. Most of all, John loved spending time with his family. John was the proud parent of two sons, Shawn DeWitt McDonald and Shannon Matthew McDonald; and two grandchildren, Connor Shawn McDonald and Makenna Grace McDonald.
John is survived and lovingly remembered by his wife, Grace McDonald of Preston; one son, Shawn (Shelly) McDonald of Preston; two grandchildren, Connor and Makenna McDonald of Preston; and one brother, James (Trula) McDonald of Preston.
John was preceded in death by his parents; one son, Shannon McDonald; and one sister, Ann Elizabeth (James) Determan.
Death date: Feb. 15, 2013
Oct. 20, 1933 - Feb. 15, 2013
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines