Feb. 11, 1926 - March 17, 2013
Dr. Richard Dana Moore, 87, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at Mercy Medical Center North Campus on March, 17, 2013.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. on Thursday, March 21, at Smith Cemetery. Lemke Funeral Homes is assisting the family with arrangements.
Richard was born February 11, 1926, in Battle Creek, Michigan, the son of Jay and Mae (Prine) Moore. He attended the Ann J. Kellogg School. He was a 1944 graduate of Battle Creek High School. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree from Olivet College in 1948. He was named a graduate assistant in the biology department at Olivet College for the 1948-1949 school year. In 1952, he earned his Master’s of Science degree from Michigan State University. He then went on to earn his Ph.D. from Michigan State University in 1956. While at Michigan State, he was an assistant in the department of anatomy. In 1955, he joined the faculty of Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas where he taught student nurses enrolled at Hendrick Memorial Hospital in Abilene. Additionally at Hardin-Simmons he taught anatomy and physiology to science majors including pre-med classes. He left Hardin-Simmons in 1965 joining the faculty at Albright College in Reading, Pennsylvania. He then returned to Abilene, Texas to join the teaching staff at McMurry University and taught there until his retirement in 1991. In all, Dr. Moore taught at the Collegiate level for over 30 years. Dr. Moore is listed in the “Who’s Who” in American Education, additionally, he is a fellow in the Texas Academy of Science.
While in Abilene, Texas, he was a member of the Central Presbyterian Church.
After his retirement he moved to Clinton, Iowa. He loved classical music, reading and most of all — following the Detroit Tigers baseball team.
He is survived by his brother, Warren Moore of Battle Creek MI; two nieces; and his very close friends, Dr. Garry Land, his wife, Sandy, and their family.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
Memorials can be made to the Richard Moore Endowment Scholarship at McMurry University, Box 938 Abilene, TX 79697.
Online condolences can be left at www.lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: March 17, 2013
Feb. 11, 1926 - March 17, 2013
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines