SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. —
January 25, 1961 - May 4, 2013
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA. Cremation rites have been accorded, and inurnment will take place at The San Francisco Columbarium’s Hall of Olympians as well as in Sinya, Tanzania, East Africa overlooking the base of Mt. Kilamanjaro, not far from the Olmoti Clinic where she worked with the Maasai community. Celebration of life gatherings are being planned in San Francisco, CA, Minneapolis, MN, Dublin, Ireland and Sinya, Tanzania.
Barbara Joyce Determann was born on Jan. 25, 1961 in Clinton, the youngest daughter of Andrew Louis and Grace Elizabeth (Evers) Determann. She attended Clinton and Camanche schools, where she excelled in athletics, graduating from Camanche High School in 1979. Barb went on to complete an RN degree from The New England Baptist Hospital in May 1987. She spent her adult life as a practicing nurse in Boston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, San Francisco and Tanzania. She was a founding partner of A Global Connection, a not-for-profit charity organization based in San Francisco who’s mission is to improve maternal health in underserved populations by providing pre and post natal care for mothers and babies, and training local midwives. Barb was the organization’s “boots on the ground” care giver representative visiting projects in Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania a dozen times over the last eight years. She was on yet another mission of hope and caring when she fell ill.
Ms. Determann is survived by her sisters, Dianne (Richard) Phinney, Davenport, IA, Julie Henningsen, Bettendorf, IA and Joan (Charles) Gifford, Camanche, IA; brothers, David Determann, Thomas (Judy) Determann, Clinton, IA, Ed (Sharon) Determann,Lake Mills, IA, Andrew (Nancy) Determann and Robert (Kelly) Determann, Camanche, IA; nieces and nephews, Elizabeth, Andrew, Jens, Jamie, Harris, Jill, Brooke, John, Jeff, Danika, Tomi, Cory, Jake, Adam, Nick, Matt, Robbie and Ashleigh; three great nieces and five great nephews; along with best friends Una (Melinn) and Rich Tang, Gloria Upchurch; and her beloved goddaughter, Ciara Tang, San Francisco, CA
She was preceded in death by her grandparents, parents and her brother Jay.
Memorial donations may be made by visiting www. aglobalconnection.org “Remembering Barbara”, to ensure that work in support of her commitment to AGC’s mission will continue. May her accomplishments and love for children be remembered and may she rest in peace forever more.
SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. —
January 25, 1961 - May 4, 2013
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- More Obituaries Headlines