SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. —
January 25, 1961 - May 4, 2013
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA. Cremation rites have been accorded, and inurnment will take place at The San Francisco Columbarium’s Hall of Olympians as well as in Sinya, Tanzania, East Africa overlooking the base of Mt. Kilamanjaro, not far from the Olmoti Clinic where she worked with the Maasai community. Celebration of life gatherings are being planned in San Francisco, CA, Minneapolis, MN, Dublin, Ireland and Sinya, Tanzania.
Barbara Joyce Determann was born on Jan. 25, 1961 in Clinton, the youngest daughter of Andrew Louis and Grace Elizabeth (Evers) Determann. She attended Clinton and Camanche schools, where she excelled in athletics, graduating from Camanche High School in 1979. Barb went on to complete an RN degree from The New England Baptist Hospital in May 1987. She spent her adult life as a practicing nurse in Boston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, San Francisco and Tanzania. She was a founding partner of A Global Connection, a not-for-profit charity organization based in San Francisco who’s mission is to improve maternal health in underserved populations by providing pre and post natal care for mothers and babies, and training local midwives. Barb was the organization’s “boots on the ground” care giver representative visiting projects in Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania a dozen times over the last eight years. She was on yet another mission of hope and caring when she fell ill.
Ms. Determann is survived by her sisters, Dianne (Richard) Phinney, Davenport, IA, Julie Henningsen, Bettendorf, IA and Joan (Charles) Gifford, Camanche, IA; brothers, David Determann, Thomas (Judy) Determann, Clinton, IA, Ed (Sharon) Determann,Lake Mills, IA, Andrew (Nancy) Determann and Robert (Kelly) Determann, Camanche, IA; nieces and nephews, Elizabeth, Andrew, Jens, Jamie, Harris, Jill, Brooke, John, Jeff, Danika, Tomi, Cory, Jake, Adam, Nick, Matt, Robbie and Ashleigh; three great nieces and five great nephews; along with best friends Una (Melinn) and Rich Tang, Gloria Upchurch; and her beloved goddaughter, Ciara Tang, San Francisco, CA
She was preceded in death by her grandparents, parents and her brother Jay.
Memorial donations may be made by visiting www. aglobalconnection.org “Remembering Barbara”, to ensure that work in support of her commitment to AGC’s mission will continue. May her accomplishments and love for children be remembered and may she rest in peace forever more.
SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. —
January 25, 1961 - May 4, 2013
- Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Aug. 11, 1939 - Dec. 10, 2013 CLINTON -- Elizabeth "Betty" E. Grossman, 74, of Clinton, Iowa passed away at the University of Iowa Hospitals on December 10th, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Frid
- Martha Belle Rhoden Savanna, Ill. Martha Belle Rhoden Martha Belle Rhoden, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. Arrangements are pending at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna.
- Donald E. Ludvigsen Donald E. Ludvigsen Dec. 5, 1930 - Dec. 9, 2013 CLINTON -- Donald E. Ludvigsen, age 83, of Clinton, died Monday Dec. 9, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. There will be no visitation or funeral services held; cremation rites have been accorded. The
- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis MILES -- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis, 84, died Monday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Preston. A visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 to 11 a.m. a
- LaVerne A. Reckinger Sr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- LaVerne A. Reckinger, Sr., 86, of Savanna, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna. Burial will take place in Marywood Catholic
- Marian Rose Marian Rose April 7, 1919 - Dec. 9, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Marian Rose, 94, of Fulton, died Monday, December 9, 2013, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, IL. Funeral service is at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- More Obituaries Headlines