SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. —
January 25, 1961 - May 4, 2013
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA. Cremation rites have been accorded, and inurnment will take place at The San Francisco Columbarium’s Hall of Olympians as well as in Sinya, Tanzania, East Africa overlooking the base of Mt. Kilamanjaro, not far from the Olmoti Clinic where she worked with the Maasai community. Celebration of life gatherings are being planned in San Francisco, CA, Minneapolis, MN, Dublin, Ireland and Sinya, Tanzania.
Barbara Joyce Determann was born on Jan. 25, 1961 in Clinton, the youngest daughter of Andrew Louis and Grace Elizabeth (Evers) Determann. She attended Clinton and Camanche schools, where she excelled in athletics, graduating from Camanche High School in 1979. Barb went on to complete an RN degree from The New England Baptist Hospital in May 1987. She spent her adult life as a practicing nurse in Boston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, San Francisco and Tanzania. She was a founding partner of A Global Connection, a not-for-profit charity organization based in San Francisco who’s mission is to improve maternal health in underserved populations by providing pre and post natal care for mothers and babies, and training local midwives. Barb was the organization’s “boots on the ground” care giver representative visiting projects in Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania a dozen times over the last eight years. She was on yet another mission of hope and caring when she fell ill.
Ms. Determann is survived by her sisters, Dianne (Richard) Phinney, Davenport, IA, Julie Henningsen, Bettendorf, IA and Joan (Charles) Gifford, Camanche, IA; brothers, David Determann, Thomas (Judy) Determann, Clinton, IA, Ed (Sharon) Determann,Lake Mills, IA, Andrew (Nancy) Determann and Robert (Kelly) Determann, Camanche, IA; nieces and nephews, Elizabeth, Andrew, Jens, Jamie, Harris, Jill, Brooke, John, Jeff, Danika, Tomi, Cory, Jake, Adam, Nick, Matt, Robbie and Ashleigh; three great nieces and five great nephews; along with best friends Una (Melinn) and Rich Tang, Gloria Upchurch; and her beloved goddaughter, Ciara Tang, San Francisco, CA
She was preceded in death by her grandparents, parents and her brother Jay.
Memorial donations may be made by visiting www. aglobalconnection.org “Remembering Barbara”, to ensure that work in support of her commitment to AGC’s mission will continue. May her accomplishments and love for children be remembered and may she rest in peace forever more.
SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. —
January 25, 1961 - May 4, 2013
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines