SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. —
January 25, 1961 - May 4, 2013
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA. Cremation rites have been accorded, and inurnment will take place at The San Francisco Columbarium’s Hall of Olympians as well as in Sinya, Tanzania, East Africa overlooking the base of Mt. Kilamanjaro, not far from the Olmoti Clinic where she worked with the Maasai community. Celebration of life gatherings are being planned in San Francisco, CA, Minneapolis, MN, Dublin, Ireland and Sinya, Tanzania.
Barbara Joyce Determann was born on Jan. 25, 1961 in Clinton, the youngest daughter of Andrew Louis and Grace Elizabeth (Evers) Determann. She attended Clinton and Camanche schools, where she excelled in athletics, graduating from Camanche High School in 1979. Barb went on to complete an RN degree from The New England Baptist Hospital in May 1987. She spent her adult life as a practicing nurse in Boston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, San Francisco and Tanzania. She was a founding partner of A Global Connection, a not-for-profit charity organization based in San Francisco who’s mission is to improve maternal health in underserved populations by providing pre and post natal care for mothers and babies, and training local midwives. Barb was the organization’s “boots on the ground” care giver representative visiting projects in Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania a dozen times over the last eight years. She was on yet another mission of hope and caring when she fell ill.
Ms. Determann is survived by her sisters, Dianne (Richard) Phinney, Davenport, IA, Julie Henningsen, Bettendorf, IA and Joan (Charles) Gifford, Camanche, IA; brothers, David Determann, Thomas (Judy) Determann, Clinton, IA, Ed (Sharon) Determann,Lake Mills, IA, Andrew (Nancy) Determann and Robert (Kelly) Determann, Camanche, IA; nieces and nephews, Elizabeth, Andrew, Jens, Jamie, Harris, Jill, Brooke, John, Jeff, Danika, Tomi, Cory, Jake, Adam, Nick, Matt, Robbie and Ashleigh; three great nieces and five great nephews; along with best friends Una (Melinn) and Rich Tang, Gloria Upchurch; and her beloved goddaughter, Ciara Tang, San Francisco, CA
She was preceded in death by her grandparents, parents and her brother Jay.
Memorial donations may be made by visiting www. aglobalconnection.org “Remembering Barbara”, to ensure that work in support of her commitment to AGC’s mission will continue. May her accomplishments and love for children be remembered and may she rest in peace forever more.
SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. —
January 25, 1961 - May 4, 2013
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines