Jan. 7, 1930 – July 5, 2012
Harold L. Lawrence, 82, of Camanche, Iowa died on July 5, 2012 at his home surrounded by his family.
Services will be held 10:30 AM, Monday, July 9, 2012 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig. Visitation will be 4 to 7 PM, Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home & Crematory. Burial will be at the St. Irenaeus Catholic Cemetery Clinton, IA. Pallbearers will be Nick Lawrence, Jordan Lawrence, Chris Powers, Colin Sullivan, Randy Block and Dave Howard.
Honorary Pall Bearers will be Granddaughters; Erica Lawrence, Sara Sisson, Maggie Block, Stacy Lawrence, Stacy Powers, and Megan Sullivan as well as Earl Farrell and Tony Amesquita.
Harold Leroy Lawrence was born January 7, 1930 in Morrison, IL to Floyd I Lawrence and Iva (Kincaid) Lawrence. He graduated from Lyons High School in 1947. He attended the University of Iowa where he was a member of the Pershing Rifles Military Fraternity. After college he served in the National Guard.
He was united in marriage to Joan Margaret Fielder, October 1, 1950. They were in their 62nd year of marriage.
Harold retired in 1995 after 45 years in the homebuilding industry. He started in 1950 with Eclipse Lumber Company as a draftsman in their new home division eventually moving in to Sales. He then moved to Burlington, IA in 1956 to head the Eclipse Homes New Construction Department developing new subdivisions in the area. He then came back to the Clinton area getting his real estate license and eventually becoming a Broker. He then went to work for Advance Homes in Davenport as a Salesman earning numerous Salesman of the Year Awards from Advance in the 1960’s. In 1970 he started his own business; Homework Corporation selling package homes to customers in eastern Iowa and western Illinois. That, along with Lawrence real estate and a Wausau Homes dealership for this area, lasted until 1983, when he decided to move the family to Cape Coral, Florida. While there, he started Lawrence Homes and was joined by his son Sean in the business, building custom homes in the Cape Coral, Fort Myers area until 1993 when they returned to Clinton.
Harold’s interests included any athletic activities, being a member of the Fort Myers 50 plus Softball League. He also competed in several Master’s Track and Field meets both in Iowa and Florida. He held national records in his age group in the 100m, 200m and long jump. He also enjoyed any pick-up basketball games he could get into. But most of all his family was his focus. He loved holidays when all of his family would be together. His grandchildren were his world. He also enjoyed music, playing numerous instruments including the piano, trumpet, accordion and banjo. He was also a gifted artist drawing hundreds of pencil drawings throughout his lifetime.
Harold is survived by his wife Joan of Camanche, one son Sean (Andrea) of Camanche, a grandson, Nick (Cherie) Lawrence, granddaughters: Stacy (Chris) Powers and Megan Colin) Sullivan and grandson Jordan Lawrence all of Camanche. A daughter-in-law Terri Lawrence (Tony Amesquita) of Sterling, IL, granddaughters Erica Lawrence of Vermont. Sara Sisson, Maggie (Randy) Block and Stacy Lawrence all of Sterling, IL. A brother, Robert (Donnis) Lawrence of Santa Fe, NM., a sister Barbara (Bill) Rowland of Marion, IA and a sister Bonnie (Dave) Foley of Camanche and numerous nieces and nephews. Great Grandchildren; Courtney and Lauren Fritz, Weston Sisson, Shay Willette, Lainey and Delia Block, Taylor Powers, Jaxson Lawrence and Lawson Sullivan.
He was preceded in death by his parents, one brother Floyd (Pete) Lawrence, his son Scott Lawrence and daughter Stacy Lawrence.
Memorials may be made to Mercy Hospice.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 5, 2012
Jan. 7, 1930 – July 5, 2012
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines