Jan. 7, 1930 – July 5, 2012
Harold L. Lawrence, 82, of Camanche, Iowa died on July 5, 2012 at his home surrounded by his family.
Services will be held 10:30 AM, Monday, July 9, 2012 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig. Visitation will be 4 to 7 PM, Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home & Crematory. Burial will be at the St. Irenaeus Catholic Cemetery Clinton, IA. Pallbearers will be Nick Lawrence, Jordan Lawrence, Chris Powers, Colin Sullivan, Randy Block and Dave Howard.
Honorary Pall Bearers will be Granddaughters; Erica Lawrence, Sara Sisson, Maggie Block, Stacy Lawrence, Stacy Powers, and Megan Sullivan as well as Earl Farrell and Tony Amesquita.
Harold Leroy Lawrence was born January 7, 1930 in Morrison, IL to Floyd I Lawrence and Iva (Kincaid) Lawrence. He graduated from Lyons High School in 1947. He attended the University of Iowa where he was a member of the Pershing Rifles Military Fraternity. After college he served in the National Guard.
He was united in marriage to Joan Margaret Fielder, October 1, 1950. They were in their 62nd year of marriage.
Harold retired in 1995 after 45 years in the homebuilding industry. He started in 1950 with Eclipse Lumber Company as a draftsman in their new home division eventually moving in to Sales. He then moved to Burlington, IA in 1956 to head the Eclipse Homes New Construction Department developing new subdivisions in the area. He then came back to the Clinton area getting his real estate license and eventually becoming a Broker. He then went to work for Advance Homes in Davenport as a Salesman earning numerous Salesman of the Year Awards from Advance in the 1960’s. In 1970 he started his own business; Homework Corporation selling package homes to customers in eastern Iowa and western Illinois. That, along with Lawrence real estate and a Wausau Homes dealership for this area, lasted until 1983, when he decided to move the family to Cape Coral, Florida. While there, he started Lawrence Homes and was joined by his son Sean in the business, building custom homes in the Cape Coral, Fort Myers area until 1993 when they returned to Clinton.
Harold’s interests included any athletic activities, being a member of the Fort Myers 50 plus Softball League. He also competed in several Master’s Track and Field meets both in Iowa and Florida. He held national records in his age group in the 100m, 200m and long jump. He also enjoyed any pick-up basketball games he could get into. But most of all his family was his focus. He loved holidays when all of his family would be together. His grandchildren were his world. He also enjoyed music, playing numerous instruments including the piano, trumpet, accordion and banjo. He was also a gifted artist drawing hundreds of pencil drawings throughout his lifetime.
Harold is survived by his wife Joan of Camanche, one son Sean (Andrea) of Camanche, a grandson, Nick (Cherie) Lawrence, granddaughters: Stacy (Chris) Powers and Megan Colin) Sullivan and grandson Jordan Lawrence all of Camanche. A daughter-in-law Terri Lawrence (Tony Amesquita) of Sterling, IL, granddaughters Erica Lawrence of Vermont. Sara Sisson, Maggie (Randy) Block and Stacy Lawrence all of Sterling, IL. A brother, Robert (Donnis) Lawrence of Santa Fe, NM., a sister Barbara (Bill) Rowland of Marion, IA and a sister Bonnie (Dave) Foley of Camanche and numerous nieces and nephews. Great Grandchildren; Courtney and Lauren Fritz, Weston Sisson, Shay Willette, Lainey and Delia Block, Taylor Powers, Jaxson Lawrence and Lawson Sullivan.
He was preceded in death by his parents, one brother Floyd (Pete) Lawrence, his son Scott Lawrence and daughter Stacy Lawrence.
Memorials may be made to Mercy Hospice.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 5, 2012
Jan. 7, 1930 – July 5, 2012
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines