Jan. 7, 1930 – July 5, 2012
Harold L. Lawrence, 82, of Camanche, Iowa died on July 5, 2012 at his home surrounded by his family.
Services will be held 10:30 AM, Monday, July 9, 2012 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig. Visitation will be 4 to 7 PM, Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home & Crematory. Burial will be at the St. Irenaeus Catholic Cemetery Clinton, IA. Pallbearers will be Nick Lawrence, Jordan Lawrence, Chris Powers, Colin Sullivan, Randy Block and Dave Howard.
Honorary Pall Bearers will be Granddaughters; Erica Lawrence, Sara Sisson, Maggie Block, Stacy Lawrence, Stacy Powers, and Megan Sullivan as well as Earl Farrell and Tony Amesquita.
Harold Leroy Lawrence was born January 7, 1930 in Morrison, IL to Floyd I Lawrence and Iva (Kincaid) Lawrence. He graduated from Lyons High School in 1947. He attended the University of Iowa where he was a member of the Pershing Rifles Military Fraternity. After college he served in the National Guard.
He was united in marriage to Joan Margaret Fielder, October 1, 1950. They were in their 62nd year of marriage.
Harold retired in 1995 after 45 years in the homebuilding industry. He started in 1950 with Eclipse Lumber Company as a draftsman in their new home division eventually moving in to Sales. He then moved to Burlington, IA in 1956 to head the Eclipse Homes New Construction Department developing new subdivisions in the area. He then came back to the Clinton area getting his real estate license and eventually becoming a Broker. He then went to work for Advance Homes in Davenport as a Salesman earning numerous Salesman of the Year Awards from Advance in the 1960’s. In 1970 he started his own business; Homework Corporation selling package homes to customers in eastern Iowa and western Illinois. That, along with Lawrence real estate and a Wausau Homes dealership for this area, lasted until 1983, when he decided to move the family to Cape Coral, Florida. While there, he started Lawrence Homes and was joined by his son Sean in the business, building custom homes in the Cape Coral, Fort Myers area until 1993 when they returned to Clinton.
Harold’s interests included any athletic activities, being a member of the Fort Myers 50 plus Softball League. He also competed in several Master’s Track and Field meets both in Iowa and Florida. He held national records in his age group in the 100m, 200m and long jump. He also enjoyed any pick-up basketball games he could get into. But most of all his family was his focus. He loved holidays when all of his family would be together. His grandchildren were his world. He also enjoyed music, playing numerous instruments including the piano, trumpet, accordion and banjo. He was also a gifted artist drawing hundreds of pencil drawings throughout his lifetime.
Harold is survived by his wife Joan of Camanche, one son Sean (Andrea) of Camanche, a grandson, Nick (Cherie) Lawrence, granddaughters: Stacy (Chris) Powers and Megan Colin) Sullivan and grandson Jordan Lawrence all of Camanche. A daughter-in-law Terri Lawrence (Tony Amesquita) of Sterling, IL, granddaughters Erica Lawrence of Vermont. Sara Sisson, Maggie (Randy) Block and Stacy Lawrence all of Sterling, IL. A brother, Robert (Donnis) Lawrence of Santa Fe, NM., a sister Barbara (Bill) Rowland of Marion, IA and a sister Bonnie (Dave) Foley of Camanche and numerous nieces and nephews. Great Grandchildren; Courtney and Lauren Fritz, Weston Sisson, Shay Willette, Lainey and Delia Block, Taylor Powers, Jaxson Lawrence and Lawson Sullivan.
He was preceded in death by his parents, one brother Floyd (Pete) Lawrence, his son Scott Lawrence and daughter Stacy Lawrence.
Memorials may be made to Mercy Hospice.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 5, 2012
Jan. 7, 1930 – July 5, 2012
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- More Obituaries Headlines