Aug. 27, 1936 - March 10, 2013
Sr. Mary Virginia Smith, age 76, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, March 10, 2013, at The Canticle.
A Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday, March 15, 2013, at the Prince of Peace Parish; the Monsignor Frank Henricksen will officiate. Visitation will be held on Thursday, March 14, 2013, from 3 to 5 p.m. at The Canticle, 843 13th Ave. North, Clinton, where a 3:30 p.m. Rosary will be recited and 6:30 to 9 p.m. at Prince of Peace Parish where a 7 p.m. Scripture service will be held. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting. Burial will be held at St. Irenaeus Calvary Cemetery. Casket bearers will be relatives, friends and members of the Sisters of St. Francis, Clinton. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Mary Virginia Smith was born August 27, 1936, in Lourdes, Iowa, the second of 11 children born to Clement and Mabel (Tierney) Smith. She was baptized at Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Lourdes, Iowa, on August 30, 1936. Her siblings included brothers Clement, Thomas, Dennis, Paul, Francis and Patrick and sisters Bernadette, Margaret (Elaine), Mabel (Annie) and Rosemary.
She entered the Sisters of St. Francis at Mount St. Clare Convent, Clinton, Iowa, on September 8, 1955, and received the name Mary Clement at her reception on June 15, 1956. She later resumed her baptismal name. She made her first profession on August 12, 1958, and her final profession on August 12, 1961. Her novitiate classmates were Sisters Marcella Marie Narlock, Ann Marie (Alice) Weber, Christopher (Elizabeth) Skube, Ida Green, Mary Mel McMillan, Virginia Krakow and Maria (Teresa) Trimble.
She attended Our Lady of Lourdes Schools, Lourdes, Iowa, through 10th grade and graduated from Mount St. Clare Academy, Clinton, Iowa, in 1955. After entering the Sisters of St. Francis, she attended Mount St. Clare College, earning her AA in 1958. She received a B.A. in music education from the University of Iowa in 1967.
Sister Mary held an Iowa Permanent Professional Teaching Certificate and began her ministry as a Sister of St. Francis teaching music at the elementary and high school levels. She served at the Mount St. Clare Academy, Clinton, Iowa; St. Patrick’s, Perry, Iowa; and Our Lady of Good Counsel, Fonda, Iowa.
After earning an M.A. in religious studies from Mundelein College, Chicago, Illinois, she continued her education at St. Bonaventure University in New York and in Assisi, Italy. Upon returning to Clinton, she held the position of formation director for the congregation from 1976 to 1981. In 1980, she was elected vice president of the Sisters of St. Francis and from 1981 to 1988 served as president of the congregation. In May 1987, Sister Mary was awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humanities from St. Ambrose University “for her never-ending search for better ways to serve God, humankind and her religious order.”
Following her terms as president of the Sisters of St. Francis, Sister Mary undertook further study at the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, California. Her later ministry centered in the area of spiritual direction and retreat work at the Franciscan Canticle in Victorville, California; the Franciscan Renewal Center, Portland, Oregon; and the Hearth in Portland, Oregon. She was also a spiritual director and retreat leader at the Canticle in Clinton, Iowa.
In 2008, Sr. Mary was re-elected to leadership as a member of the General Council and in 2012 became the vice president and a member of the General Leadership Team. During all of her years in leadership and spiritual direction, she also served as organist for many of the congregation’s liturgical celebrations. In the final months of her life, Mary continued to model servant leadership through her courageous acceptance of her final illness as she completed her journey to eternal life. Sister Mary died peacefully at the Canticle surrounded by family and friends on Sunday, March 10.
Left to honor her memory are her siblings: Clem (Judy) Smith, Bernie (Bob) Voves, Elaine (Mike) Farrington, Dennis (Marie) Smith, Paul (Nancy) Smith, Francis (Carol) Smith, Annie (Charles) Riley, Rosie (Mike) Zeimetz and Pat (Barb) Smith; her sister-in-law, Shirley Smith; many nieces and nephews; and the Sisters of St. Francis with whom she shared life for over 57 years.
She was preceded in death by her parents and by her brother, Tom, who died on March 9, 2013. Her aunt, Clinton Franciscan Sister Edward Smith, is among other relatives who welcome her home.
Death date: March 10, 2013
Aug. 27, 1936 - March 10, 2013
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines