Donald Albert Sorensen
April 30, 1927-March 9, 2013
CLINTON — Donald Albert Sorensen passed away March 9, 2013, in Clinton, Iowa.
He was born on April 30, 1927, in Clinton to Petrine (Morsing) and Carsten Sorensen. After graduating from Clinton High School in 1945, Don served one year in the U.S. Army before being honorably discharged.
Don married Joan Dinnie in Clinton, Iowa, on September 25, 1948. He was founder and CEO of Sorensen Homes, Inc. a residential and land development company. Over the course of his forty-year career he built more than 800 home, apartment houses and condominiums. He was the first to introduce the condominium concept to Clinton.
Don was active in many professional organizations including the Builders Club (president), American Builders & Contractors, Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Gyros, AMVETS, Slo-Spokes and Clinton Country Club (president.)
In his retirement, Don enjoyed woodworking and making unique creations from golf balls. He and Joan wintered for many years in Destin, Florida. Don also enjoyed golfing and his Wednesday poker games.
Don is survived by his wife, Joan; daughter, Donna (Kris Westphal) Sorensen of Iowa City; daughter, Debbie (Bob) Ketelsen of Clinton; daughter, Deena (Kevin) Determan of Clinton; son, Ken (Sue) Sorensen of Eden Prairie, MN; daughter-in-law, Beth Wirtz of Phoenix, AZ; twelve grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his sister, his brother and his son, Kevin.
A service to celebrate Don’s life will be 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, 2013, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Don’s grandsons: Tony Cozzolino, Nathan Determan, Bret Sorensen, Bart Sorensen, Ben Sorensen, Blake Sorensen and Kyle Sorensen. Visitation will be Tuesday evening from 4 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Clinton County Chapter of Relay for Life.
Death date: March 9, 2013
Donald Albert Sorensen
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller June 7, 1932 - March 7, 2014 BELLEVUE -- Lavonne "Tooty" Miller, 81, of Bellevue, Iowa, passed away Friday evening, March 7, 2014 at her home in Bellevue. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11:00 a.m., Tuesday morni
- Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Andrew Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Theresa M. Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Wilma J. Owen DEWITT -- Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A service of Christian burial will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Gra
- Jerry Marquez Jr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- Jerry Marquez Jr., 77, died last Wednesday in Savanna. Burial will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Rock Island National Cemetery in Rock Island, Ill. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Sava
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
- More Obituaries Headlines