Donald Albert Sorensen
April 30, 1927-March 9, 2013
CLINTON — Donald Albert Sorensen passed away March 9, 2013, in Clinton, Iowa.
He was born on April 30, 1927, in Clinton to Petrine (Morsing) and Carsten Sorensen. After graduating from Clinton High School in 1945, Don served one year in the U.S. Army before being honorably discharged.
Don married Joan Dinnie in Clinton, Iowa, on September 25, 1948. He was founder and CEO of Sorensen Homes, Inc. a residential and land development company. Over the course of his forty-year career he built more than 800 home, apartment houses and condominiums. He was the first to introduce the condominium concept to Clinton.
Don was active in many professional organizations including the Builders Club (president), American Builders & Contractors, Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Gyros, AMVETS, Slo-Spokes and Clinton Country Club (president.)
In his retirement, Don enjoyed woodworking and making unique creations from golf balls. He and Joan wintered for many years in Destin, Florida. Don also enjoyed golfing and his Wednesday poker games.
Don is survived by his wife, Joan; daughter, Donna (Kris Westphal) Sorensen of Iowa City; daughter, Debbie (Bob) Ketelsen of Clinton; daughter, Deena (Kevin) Determan of Clinton; son, Ken (Sue) Sorensen of Eden Prairie, MN; daughter-in-law, Beth Wirtz of Phoenix, AZ; twelve grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his sister, his brother and his son, Kevin.
A service to celebrate Don’s life will be 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, 2013, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Don’s grandsons: Tony Cozzolino, Nathan Determan, Bret Sorensen, Bart Sorensen, Ben Sorensen, Blake Sorensen and Kyle Sorensen. Visitation will be Tuesday evening from 4 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Clinton County Chapter of Relay for Life.
Death date: March 9, 2013
Donald Albert Sorensen
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines