Donald Albert Sorensen
April 30, 1927-March 9, 2013
CLINTON — Donald Albert Sorensen passed away March 9, 2013, in Clinton, Iowa.
He was born on April 30, 1927, in Clinton to Petrine (Morsing) and Carsten Sorensen. After graduating from Clinton High School in 1945, Don served one year in the U.S. Army before being honorably discharged.
Don married Joan Dinnie in Clinton, Iowa, on September 25, 1948. He was founder and CEO of Sorensen Homes, Inc. a residential and land development company. Over the course of his forty-year career he built more than 800 home, apartment houses and condominiums. He was the first to introduce the condominium concept to Clinton.
Don was active in many professional organizations including the Builders Club (president), American Builders & Contractors, Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Gyros, AMVETS, Slo-Spokes and Clinton Country Club (president.)
In his retirement, Don enjoyed woodworking and making unique creations from golf balls. He and Joan wintered for many years in Destin, Florida. Don also enjoyed golfing and his Wednesday poker games.
Don is survived by his wife, Joan; daughter, Donna (Kris Westphal) Sorensen of Iowa City; daughter, Debbie (Bob) Ketelsen of Clinton; daughter, Deena (Kevin) Determan of Clinton; son, Ken (Sue) Sorensen of Eden Prairie, MN; daughter-in-law, Beth Wirtz of Phoenix, AZ; twelve grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his sister, his brother and his son, Kevin.
A service to celebrate Don’s life will be 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, 2013, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Don’s grandsons: Tony Cozzolino, Nathan Determan, Bret Sorensen, Bart Sorensen, Ben Sorensen, Blake Sorensen and Kyle Sorensen. Visitation will be Tuesday evening from 4 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Clinton County Chapter of Relay for Life.
Death date: March 9, 2013
Donald Albert Sorensen
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines