Donald Albert Sorensen
April 30, 1927-March 9, 2013
CLINTON — Donald Albert Sorensen passed away March 9, 2013, in Clinton, Iowa.
He was born on April 30, 1927, in Clinton to Petrine (Morsing) and Carsten Sorensen. After graduating from Clinton High School in 1945, Don served one year in the U.S. Army before being honorably discharged.
Don married Joan Dinnie in Clinton, Iowa, on September 25, 1948. He was founder and CEO of Sorensen Homes, Inc. a residential and land development company. Over the course of his forty-year career he built more than 800 home, apartment houses and condominiums. He was the first to introduce the condominium concept to Clinton.
Don was active in many professional organizations including the Builders Club (president), American Builders & Contractors, Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Gyros, AMVETS, Slo-Spokes and Clinton Country Club (president.)
In his retirement, Don enjoyed woodworking and making unique creations from golf balls. He and Joan wintered for many years in Destin, Florida. Don also enjoyed golfing and his Wednesday poker games.
Don is survived by his wife, Joan; daughter, Donna (Kris Westphal) Sorensen of Iowa City; daughter, Debbie (Bob) Ketelsen of Clinton; daughter, Deena (Kevin) Determan of Clinton; son, Ken (Sue) Sorensen of Eden Prairie, MN; daughter-in-law, Beth Wirtz of Phoenix, AZ; twelve grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his sister, his brother and his son, Kevin.
A service to celebrate Don’s life will be 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, 2013, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Don’s grandsons: Tony Cozzolino, Nathan Determan, Bret Sorensen, Bart Sorensen, Ben Sorensen, Blake Sorensen and Kyle Sorensen. Visitation will be Tuesday evening from 4 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Clinton County Chapter of Relay for Life.
Death date: March 9, 2013
Donald Albert Sorensen
- Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Aug. 11, 1939 - Dec. 10, 2013 CLINTON -- Elizabeth "Betty" E. Grossman, 74, of Clinton, Iowa passed away at the University of Iowa Hospitals on December 10th, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Frid
- Martha Belle Rhoden Savanna, Ill. Martha Belle Rhoden Martha Belle Rhoden, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. Arrangements are pending at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna.
- Donald E. Ludvigsen Donald E. Ludvigsen Dec. 5, 1930 - Dec. 9, 2013 CLINTON -- Donald E. Ludvigsen, age 83, of Clinton, died Monday Dec. 9, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. There will be no visitation or funeral services held; cremation rites have been accorded. The
- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis MILES -- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis, 84, died Monday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Preston. A visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 to 11 a.m. a
- LaVerne A. Reckinger Sr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- LaVerne A. Reckinger, Sr., 86, of Savanna, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna. Burial will take place in Marywood Catholic
- Marian Rose Marian Rose April 7, 1919 - Dec. 9, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Marian Rose, 94, of Fulton, died Monday, December 9, 2013, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, IL. Funeral service is at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- More Obituaries Headlines