Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
Dec. 12, 1916-Jan. 16, 2013
CLINTON — Sidney “Sid” John McDonald, 96, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at his home on January 16, 2013.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, January 22, at Jesus Christ Prince of Peace Church. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Monday, January 21, at Lemke Funeral Homes, South Chapel, west side of Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Burial will take place at St. Mary’s Cemetery immediately following the funeral service. Lemke Funeral Homes is assisting the family with arrangements.
Sid was born December 12, 1916, in DeWitt, Iowa, the son of Earl H. and Catherine (Lawsen) McDonald. He was united in marriage to Madeline Sweeney on May 28, 1940, in Clinton, Iowa; Madeline passed away April 30, 1993. Sid served his country in the U.S. Navy from May 1942 to October 1945.
For many years Sid was director of personnel and employee relations for the Clinton Garment Company.
Throughout his life Sid volunteered and dedicated much of his time as an active member in many organizations including: The Community Federation & United Fund Campaigns, chairman of the Clinton County Red Cross Campaign, Clinton County chairman for the Iowa Society for Crippled Children, served on the Governor’s Rent Control Board, member of the board of directors of Clinton Chamber of Commerce, member of the board of directors of the United Veterans Hospital Organization, member of the board of directors and chairman of the Clinton Recreation Commission, member of the board of directors and commander of AMVETS, member of the board of directors of the Clinton Baseball Club, member of the American Manufacturing Association, member of the American Society for Training and Development, member of the Third and Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, member of the board of directors and President of Gateway Personnel Association, member of the board of directors of St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Other lifelong accomplishments include: recipient of “Outstanding Young Man of the Year” awarded in 1952, received a fifteen-year award pin for adult Boy Scout works, was commissioned a “Kentucky Colonel” in 1996 and appeared before Congress on veteran affairs.
Sid loved collecting classic and antique automobiles. He also enjoyed collecting coins and was a past member of the board of directors of the Illowa Coin Club. Above all, Sid loved his family — he will be greatly missed by many.
Sid is survived by his son, Doug (Lana Clement) McDonald of Milburn, Iowa; two grandchildren, Stacy (Nick) McDonald, Eric (Kelley) McDonald; three great-granddaughters, Sydney, Maddyson, Nevaeh; and one sister, Marion Holcomb of Desoto, Texas.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Madeline; four sisters and two brothers.
Memorials may be directed to the family.
Online condolences can be left at www.lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Jan. 16, 2013
Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- More Obituaries Headlines