Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
Dec. 12, 1916-Jan. 16, 2013
CLINTON — Sidney “Sid” John McDonald, 96, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at his home on January 16, 2013.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, January 22, at Jesus Christ Prince of Peace Church. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Monday, January 21, at Lemke Funeral Homes, South Chapel, west side of Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Burial will take place at St. Mary’s Cemetery immediately following the funeral service. Lemke Funeral Homes is assisting the family with arrangements.
Sid was born December 12, 1916, in DeWitt, Iowa, the son of Earl H. and Catherine (Lawsen) McDonald. He was united in marriage to Madeline Sweeney on May 28, 1940, in Clinton, Iowa; Madeline passed away April 30, 1993. Sid served his country in the U.S. Navy from May 1942 to October 1945.
For many years Sid was director of personnel and employee relations for the Clinton Garment Company.
Throughout his life Sid volunteered and dedicated much of his time as an active member in many organizations including: The Community Federation & United Fund Campaigns, chairman of the Clinton County Red Cross Campaign, Clinton County chairman for the Iowa Society for Crippled Children, served on the Governor’s Rent Control Board, member of the board of directors of Clinton Chamber of Commerce, member of the board of directors of the United Veterans Hospital Organization, member of the board of directors and chairman of the Clinton Recreation Commission, member of the board of directors and commander of AMVETS, member of the board of directors of the Clinton Baseball Club, member of the American Manufacturing Association, member of the American Society for Training and Development, member of the Third and Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, member of the board of directors and President of Gateway Personnel Association, member of the board of directors of St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Other lifelong accomplishments include: recipient of “Outstanding Young Man of the Year” awarded in 1952, received a fifteen-year award pin for adult Boy Scout works, was commissioned a “Kentucky Colonel” in 1996 and appeared before Congress on veteran affairs.
Sid loved collecting classic and antique automobiles. He also enjoyed collecting coins and was a past member of the board of directors of the Illowa Coin Club. Above all, Sid loved his family — he will be greatly missed by many.
Sid is survived by his son, Doug (Lana Clement) McDonald of Milburn, Iowa; two grandchildren, Stacy (Nick) McDonald, Eric (Kelley) McDonald; three great-granddaughters, Sydney, Maddyson, Nevaeh; and one sister, Marion Holcomb of Desoto, Texas.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Madeline; four sisters and two brothers.
Memorials may be directed to the family.
Online condolences can be left at www.lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Jan. 16, 2013
Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- More Obituaries Headlines