Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
Dec. 12, 1916-Jan. 16, 2013
CLINTON — Sidney “Sid” John McDonald, 96, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at his home on January 16, 2013.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, January 22, at Jesus Christ Prince of Peace Church. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Monday, January 21, at Lemke Funeral Homes, South Chapel, west side of Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Burial will take place at St. Mary’s Cemetery immediately following the funeral service. Lemke Funeral Homes is assisting the family with arrangements.
Sid was born December 12, 1916, in DeWitt, Iowa, the son of Earl H. and Catherine (Lawsen) McDonald. He was united in marriage to Madeline Sweeney on May 28, 1940, in Clinton, Iowa; Madeline passed away April 30, 1993. Sid served his country in the U.S. Navy from May 1942 to October 1945.
For many years Sid was director of personnel and employee relations for the Clinton Garment Company.
Throughout his life Sid volunteered and dedicated much of his time as an active member in many organizations including: The Community Federation & United Fund Campaigns, chairman of the Clinton County Red Cross Campaign, Clinton County chairman for the Iowa Society for Crippled Children, served on the Governor’s Rent Control Board, member of the board of directors of Clinton Chamber of Commerce, member of the board of directors of the United Veterans Hospital Organization, member of the board of directors and chairman of the Clinton Recreation Commission, member of the board of directors and commander of AMVETS, member of the board of directors of the Clinton Baseball Club, member of the American Manufacturing Association, member of the American Society for Training and Development, member of the Third and Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, member of the board of directors and President of Gateway Personnel Association, member of the board of directors of St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Other lifelong accomplishments include: recipient of “Outstanding Young Man of the Year” awarded in 1952, received a fifteen-year award pin for adult Boy Scout works, was commissioned a “Kentucky Colonel” in 1996 and appeared before Congress on veteran affairs.
Sid loved collecting classic and antique automobiles. He also enjoyed collecting coins and was a past member of the board of directors of the Illowa Coin Club. Above all, Sid loved his family — he will be greatly missed by many.
Sid is survived by his son, Doug (Lana Clement) McDonald of Milburn, Iowa; two grandchildren, Stacy (Nick) McDonald, Eric (Kelley) McDonald; three great-granddaughters, Sydney, Maddyson, Nevaeh; and one sister, Marion Holcomb of Desoto, Texas.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Madeline; four sisters and two brothers.
Memorials may be directed to the family.
Online condolences can be left at www.lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Jan. 16, 2013
Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- Nellie Douma Morrison, Ill.Nellie DoumaNellie Douma, 97, of Morrison, died Jan. 21 at Morrison Community Hospital.Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Brentley Louis Kemp MAQUOKETA — Brentley Louis Kemp, infant son of Justin and Michelle (Pierson) Kemp, of Maquoketa, died July 10.Private services will be held. Death date: July 10, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DEWITT — Brenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus.
- Bernice Viola Sander Bernice Viola SanderOct. 17, 1913 - July 17, 2014CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday, July 17, 2014 at home after 100 great years and will be missed by all her family.Memorial services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, July 25, 2
- Martin Allen Stansbarger ClintonMartin Allen StansbargerMartin Allen Stansbarger died Saturday at birth at Mercy Medical Center North.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- John W. Bousman John W. BousmanOct. 20, 1937 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — John W. Bousman Sr., age 76, of Clinton, died Friday, July 18, 2014, at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, surrounded by his family. They released him from all medical intervention and
- Lola Alice Lange FULTON, Ill. — Lola Alice Lange, 98, of Morrison, Illinois, died Saturday at Resthave Home in Morrison.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home, with the Rev. James Camp officiating. Visitatio
- Charles 'Charlie' L. Sexton Charles ‘Charlie’ L. SextonAug. 17, 1942 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — Charles “Charlie” L. Sexton, 71, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, July 18, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center, Clinton.Funeral Services will be 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Cl
- Marjorie Behne WHEATLAND — Marjorie (Easton) Behne, 86, of Wheatland, died Friday at Wheatland Manor.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. today at Schultz Funeral Home in Grand Mound. A service of Christian burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Christian Free
- More Obituaries Headlines