Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
Dec. 12, 1916-Jan. 16, 2013
CLINTON — Sidney “Sid” John McDonald, 96, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at his home on January 16, 2013.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, January 22, at Jesus Christ Prince of Peace Church. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Monday, January 21, at Lemke Funeral Homes, South Chapel, west side of Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Burial will take place at St. Mary’s Cemetery immediately following the funeral service. Lemke Funeral Homes is assisting the family with arrangements.
Sid was born December 12, 1916, in DeWitt, Iowa, the son of Earl H. and Catherine (Lawsen) McDonald. He was united in marriage to Madeline Sweeney on May 28, 1940, in Clinton, Iowa; Madeline passed away April 30, 1993. Sid served his country in the U.S. Navy from May 1942 to October 1945.
For many years Sid was director of personnel and employee relations for the Clinton Garment Company.
Throughout his life Sid volunteered and dedicated much of his time as an active member in many organizations including: The Community Federation & United Fund Campaigns, chairman of the Clinton County Red Cross Campaign, Clinton County chairman for the Iowa Society for Crippled Children, served on the Governor’s Rent Control Board, member of the board of directors of Clinton Chamber of Commerce, member of the board of directors of the United Veterans Hospital Organization, member of the board of directors and chairman of the Clinton Recreation Commission, member of the board of directors and commander of AMVETS, member of the board of directors of the Clinton Baseball Club, member of the American Manufacturing Association, member of the American Society for Training and Development, member of the Third and Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, member of the board of directors and President of Gateway Personnel Association, member of the board of directors of St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Other lifelong accomplishments include: recipient of “Outstanding Young Man of the Year” awarded in 1952, received a fifteen-year award pin for adult Boy Scout works, was commissioned a “Kentucky Colonel” in 1996 and appeared before Congress on veteran affairs.
Sid loved collecting classic and antique automobiles. He also enjoyed collecting coins and was a past member of the board of directors of the Illowa Coin Club. Above all, Sid loved his family — he will be greatly missed by many.
Sid is survived by his son, Doug (Lana Clement) McDonald of Milburn, Iowa; two grandchildren, Stacy (Nick) McDonald, Eric (Kelley) McDonald; three great-granddaughters, Sydney, Maddyson, Nevaeh; and one sister, Marion Holcomb of Desoto, Texas.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Madeline; four sisters and two brothers.
Memorials may be directed to the family.
Online condolences can be left at www.lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Jan. 16, 2013
Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- Donald Hamstra August 19, 1920- December 6, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. -- Donald Hamstra, 93, Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison, died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison. The funeral will be 2:00 P.M., Monday, December 9
- Leslie "Bud" Chandler August 29th, 1924 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Leslie "Bud" Chandler, 89, of Clinton, Iowa passed away peacefully at Mercy Medical Center - North on Dec. 5, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, December 9th at Lemke Funer
- More Obituaries Headlines