Ross E. Spooner
June 4, 1940-Jan. 26, 2013
CLINTON — Ross E. Spooner, age 72, of Clinton, passed away Saturday January 26, 2013, at his home surrounded by his family.
Visitation will be from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, January 30, 2013, at the Pape Funeral Home. Following the visitation, cremation rites will be accorded. A private burial will take place at a later date in Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the Community Congregational Church, UCC or to the family.
Ross was born in Clinton on June 4, 1940, the son of Harry and Helen (Buckley) Spooner. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1958. Ross married Lynda Goldensoph on November 20, 1959, in Clinton. Ross was a journeyman ironworker and a business agent for Local 111 in Rock Island. He served as a Clinton County supervisor for 12 years. He was a member of Community Congregational UCC, Lyons Lodge AF&AM #93 and the Immulation Lodge. He had served on the board and as past president of the Clinton County Conservation and Clinton County Mental Health Boards. He was very involved in the Iowa-Illinois Highway Partnership and in the development of the Eco Center in Rock Creek Park. Ross served on the ECIA Board, Pathway Living Center Board, the 7th Judicial District Corrections Board and New Directions. He had been a recipient of the Iowa Democratic Hall of Fame. He enjoyed duck hunting and fishing.
Ross is survived by his wife, Lynda; five children: Kelly (David) Stoller of Clinton, Shawn (Donna) Spooner of Cedar Rapids, Dawn (Mike) Mulholland, Shannon (Dana) Spooner and Darcy (John) Spitzer, all of Clinton; 11 grandchildren: Neal (Karolyn) Stoller of Champaign, IL, Kyle Stoller of Clinton, Austin Spooner of Marion, IA, Jordan Spooner of Cedar Rapids, Matthew Mulholland, Sean Mulholland and Michael Mulholland all of Clinton, Alayna Spooner of Ankeny, Logan Spooner of Clinton, and Taylor and Jamie Lynn Spitzer, both of Clinton; a stepgranddaughter, Keely Pearson of Ankeny; a great-granddaughter, Jayden Spooner; two sisters, Gayla Rixen and Marcia (Don) Lass, both of Clinton; and a brother, David (Micky) Spooner of Clinton; and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; two sisters, Jackie Schaeffer and Kay Weinbeck; and two brothers, Arthur and Dwayne.
Online condolences may be left at wwwpapefh.com.
Death date: Jan. 26, 2013
Ross E. Spooner
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines