Ross E. Spooner
June 4, 1940-Jan. 26, 2013
CLINTON — Ross E. Spooner, age 72, of Clinton, passed away Saturday January 26, 2013, at his home surrounded by his family.
Visitation will be from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, January 30, 2013, at the Pape Funeral Home. Following the visitation, cremation rites will be accorded. A private burial will take place at a later date in Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the Community Congregational Church, UCC or to the family.
Ross was born in Clinton on June 4, 1940, the son of Harry and Helen (Buckley) Spooner. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1958. Ross married Lynda Goldensoph on November 20, 1959, in Clinton. Ross was a journeyman ironworker and a business agent for Local 111 in Rock Island. He served as a Clinton County supervisor for 12 years. He was a member of Community Congregational UCC, Lyons Lodge AF&AM #93 and the Immulation Lodge. He had served on the board and as past president of the Clinton County Conservation and Clinton County Mental Health Boards. He was very involved in the Iowa-Illinois Highway Partnership and in the development of the Eco Center in Rock Creek Park. Ross served on the ECIA Board, Pathway Living Center Board, the 7th Judicial District Corrections Board and New Directions. He had been a recipient of the Iowa Democratic Hall of Fame. He enjoyed duck hunting and fishing.
Ross is survived by his wife, Lynda; five children: Kelly (David) Stoller of Clinton, Shawn (Donna) Spooner of Cedar Rapids, Dawn (Mike) Mulholland, Shannon (Dana) Spooner and Darcy (John) Spitzer, all of Clinton; 11 grandchildren: Neal (Karolyn) Stoller of Champaign, IL, Kyle Stoller of Clinton, Austin Spooner of Marion, IA, Jordan Spooner of Cedar Rapids, Matthew Mulholland, Sean Mulholland and Michael Mulholland all of Clinton, Alayna Spooner of Ankeny, Logan Spooner of Clinton, and Taylor and Jamie Lynn Spitzer, both of Clinton; a stepgranddaughter, Keely Pearson of Ankeny; a great-granddaughter, Jayden Spooner; two sisters, Gayla Rixen and Marcia (Don) Lass, both of Clinton; and a brother, David (Micky) Spooner of Clinton; and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; two sisters, Jackie Schaeffer and Kay Weinbeck; and two brothers, Arthur and Dwayne.
Online condolences may be left at wwwpapefh.com.
Death date: Jan. 26, 2013
Ross E. Spooner
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines