Ross E. Spooner
June 4, 1940-Jan. 26, 2013
CLINTON — Ross E. Spooner, age 72, of Clinton, passed away Saturday January 26, 2013, at his home surrounded by his family.
Visitation will be from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, January 30, 2013, at the Pape Funeral Home. Following the visitation, cremation rites will be accorded. A private burial will take place at a later date in Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the Community Congregational Church, UCC or to the family.
Ross was born in Clinton on June 4, 1940, the son of Harry and Helen (Buckley) Spooner. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1958. Ross married Lynda Goldensoph on November 20, 1959, in Clinton. Ross was a journeyman ironworker and a business agent for Local 111 in Rock Island. He served as a Clinton County supervisor for 12 years. He was a member of Community Congregational UCC, Lyons Lodge AF&AM #93 and the Immulation Lodge. He had served on the board and as past president of the Clinton County Conservation and Clinton County Mental Health Boards. He was very involved in the Iowa-Illinois Highway Partnership and in the development of the Eco Center in Rock Creek Park. Ross served on the ECIA Board, Pathway Living Center Board, the 7th Judicial District Corrections Board and New Directions. He had been a recipient of the Iowa Democratic Hall of Fame. He enjoyed duck hunting and fishing.
Ross is survived by his wife, Lynda; five children: Kelly (David) Stoller of Clinton, Shawn (Donna) Spooner of Cedar Rapids, Dawn (Mike) Mulholland, Shannon (Dana) Spooner and Darcy (John) Spitzer, all of Clinton; 11 grandchildren: Neal (Karolyn) Stoller of Champaign, IL, Kyle Stoller of Clinton, Austin Spooner of Marion, IA, Jordan Spooner of Cedar Rapids, Matthew Mulholland, Sean Mulholland and Michael Mulholland all of Clinton, Alayna Spooner of Ankeny, Logan Spooner of Clinton, and Taylor and Jamie Lynn Spitzer, both of Clinton; a stepgranddaughter, Keely Pearson of Ankeny; a great-granddaughter, Jayden Spooner; two sisters, Gayla Rixen and Marcia (Don) Lass, both of Clinton; and a brother, David (Micky) Spooner of Clinton; and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; two sisters, Jackie Schaeffer and Kay Weinbeck; and two brothers, Arthur and Dwayne.
Online condolences may be left at wwwpapefh.com.
Death date: Jan. 26, 2013
Ross E. Spooner
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines