Ross E. Spooner
June 4, 1940-Jan. 26, 2013
CLINTON — Ross E. Spooner, age 72, of Clinton, passed away Saturday January 26, 2013, at his home surrounded by his family.
Visitation will be from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, January 30, 2013, at the Pape Funeral Home. Following the visitation, cremation rites will be accorded. A private burial will take place at a later date in Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the Community Congregational Church, UCC or to the family.
Ross was born in Clinton on June 4, 1940, the son of Harry and Helen (Buckley) Spooner. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1958. Ross married Lynda Goldensoph on November 20, 1959, in Clinton. Ross was a journeyman ironworker and a business agent for Local 111 in Rock Island. He served as a Clinton County supervisor for 12 years. He was a member of Community Congregational UCC, Lyons Lodge AF&AM #93 and the Immulation Lodge. He had served on the board and as past president of the Clinton County Conservation and Clinton County Mental Health Boards. He was very involved in the Iowa-Illinois Highway Partnership and in the development of the Eco Center in Rock Creek Park. Ross served on the ECIA Board, Pathway Living Center Board, the 7th Judicial District Corrections Board and New Directions. He had been a recipient of the Iowa Democratic Hall of Fame. He enjoyed duck hunting and fishing.
Ross is survived by his wife, Lynda; five children: Kelly (David) Stoller of Clinton, Shawn (Donna) Spooner of Cedar Rapids, Dawn (Mike) Mulholland, Shannon (Dana) Spooner and Darcy (John) Spitzer, all of Clinton; 11 grandchildren: Neal (Karolyn) Stoller of Champaign, IL, Kyle Stoller of Clinton, Austin Spooner of Marion, IA, Jordan Spooner of Cedar Rapids, Matthew Mulholland, Sean Mulholland and Michael Mulholland all of Clinton, Alayna Spooner of Ankeny, Logan Spooner of Clinton, and Taylor and Jamie Lynn Spitzer, both of Clinton; a stepgranddaughter, Keely Pearson of Ankeny; a great-granddaughter, Jayden Spooner; two sisters, Gayla Rixen and Marcia (Don) Lass, both of Clinton; and a brother, David (Micky) Spooner of Clinton; and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; two sisters, Jackie Schaeffer and Kay Weinbeck; and two brothers, Arthur and Dwayne.
Online condolences may be left at wwwpapefh.com.
Death date: Jan. 26, 2013
Ross E. Spooner
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- Mary Anne Knox Mary Anne Knox May 26, 1928 - Dec. 2, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Anne Knox, 85, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully at the Alverno on December 2, 2013. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 7 at the Greater True Love Baptis
- Dorothy M. Schaver Dorothy M. Schaver Oct. 4, 1927 - Dec. 3, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Dorothy M. Schaver, 86, of Fulton, died Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at her home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, December 7, 2013, at the Trinity Reformed Church i
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines