March 12, 1926 - Feb. 8, 2013
Clarence G. Henry Sr., 86, of Camanche, Iowa, passed away peacefully at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Clinton, on February, 8, 2013.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Tuesday, February 12, at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Visitation will be Tuesday from 9 a.m. to the service time at the funeral home. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Camanche VFW. Pallbearers will be Grant Henry, Gene Dickinson, Joe Henry, Lou Kracuin Jr., Scott Dickinson and Tate Tiesman.
Clarence was born March, 12, 1926, in Waukon, Iowa, to Theodore and Lillian (Waters) Henry. He was raised in Waukon. After graduating from Waukon High School in 1944, Clarence enlisted in the U.S. Army. He was a veteran serving in both World War II and Korea.
On September 1, 1948, Clarence married Nada (McDonald) in Jeffersonville, Indiana. He began a career in welding which was cut short when he contracted polio. He was hospitalized at the University of Iowa Hospitals and was one of the first Iowans on an Iron Lung. After an extensive rehabilitation, Clarence was able to return home. He was later employed with Syvier Steel in Bettendorf, Iowa, until his retirement in 1981.
During his early years, Clarence was involved with both the Cub and Boy Scouts. He was a lifetime member of the VFW. He was a member of the Church of the Visitation and a past member of its parish council. Clarence was an avid reader and historian studying the Civil War. He enjoyed the outdoors, fishing and hunting. After his retirement, Clarence and Nada would travel to area camp sites and enjoyed visiting and befriending the many people they would meet.
Clarence is survived by his wife, Nada, of 64 years; four children: Clarence, Jr. (Margaret) of Clinton, Walter (Sheryl) of Surprise Arizona, Annette (Gene Dickinson) of Savanna and Grant of Camanche; seven grandchildren: Scott Dickinson, Meghan Gutierrez, Thaddeus Dickinson, Brandi Tiesman, Molly Harlow, Bridget Siegel, Katie Graves; 12 great-grandchildren; two sisters, Donna Jeffrey of Camarillo California, and Helen (Allen) Kubitz of Sparks, Nevada; a brother-in-law, Bill Zeh of Henderson Nevada; and a sister-in-law, Charlotte Widmer of Port St. Lucie, Florida.
Memorials can be made to the VA Hospital in Iowa City, Iowa.
Death date: Feb. 8, 2013
March 12, 1926 - Feb. 8, 2013
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- Mary Anne Knox Mary Anne Knox May 26, 1928 - Dec. 2, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Anne Knox, 85, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully at the Alverno on December 2, 2013. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 7 at the Greater True Love Baptis
- Dorothy M. Schaver Dorothy M. Schaver Oct. 4, 1927 - Dec. 3, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Dorothy M. Schaver, 86, of Fulton, died Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at her home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, December 7, 2013, at the Trinity Reformed Church i
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines