March 12, 1926 - Feb. 8, 2013
Clarence G. Henry Sr., 86, of Camanche, Iowa, passed away peacefully at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Clinton, on February, 8, 2013.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Tuesday, February 12, at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Visitation will be Tuesday from 9 a.m. to the service time at the funeral home. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Camanche VFW. Pallbearers will be Grant Henry, Gene Dickinson, Joe Henry, Lou Kracuin Jr., Scott Dickinson and Tate Tiesman.
Clarence was born March, 12, 1926, in Waukon, Iowa, to Theodore and Lillian (Waters) Henry. He was raised in Waukon. After graduating from Waukon High School in 1944, Clarence enlisted in the U.S. Army. He was a veteran serving in both World War II and Korea.
On September 1, 1948, Clarence married Nada (McDonald) in Jeffersonville, Indiana. He began a career in welding which was cut short when he contracted polio. He was hospitalized at the University of Iowa Hospitals and was one of the first Iowans on an Iron Lung. After an extensive rehabilitation, Clarence was able to return home. He was later employed with Syvier Steel in Bettendorf, Iowa, until his retirement in 1981.
During his early years, Clarence was involved with both the Cub and Boy Scouts. He was a lifetime member of the VFW. He was a member of the Church of the Visitation and a past member of its parish council. Clarence was an avid reader and historian studying the Civil War. He enjoyed the outdoors, fishing and hunting. After his retirement, Clarence and Nada would travel to area camp sites and enjoyed visiting and befriending the many people they would meet.
Clarence is survived by his wife, Nada, of 64 years; four children: Clarence, Jr. (Margaret) of Clinton, Walter (Sheryl) of Surprise Arizona, Annette (Gene Dickinson) of Savanna and Grant of Camanche; seven grandchildren: Scott Dickinson, Meghan Gutierrez, Thaddeus Dickinson, Brandi Tiesman, Molly Harlow, Bridget Siegel, Katie Graves; 12 great-grandchildren; two sisters, Donna Jeffrey of Camarillo California, and Helen (Allen) Kubitz of Sparks, Nevada; a brother-in-law, Bill Zeh of Henderson Nevada; and a sister-in-law, Charlotte Widmer of Port St. Lucie, Florida.
Memorials can be made to the VA Hospital in Iowa City, Iowa.
Death date: Feb. 8, 2013
March 12, 1926 - Feb. 8, 2013
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- James C. Thyne Clinton James C. Thyne James C. Thyne, 62, of Clinton, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Pamela J. Harlock Pamela J. Harlock Aug. 16, 1951 - March 6, 2014 CLINTON -- Pamela J. Harlock, age 63, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, TX. Funeral services will be held Friday at 10:30 a.m. March 14th at the Pape Funeral Home
- Gary M. Ferris FULTON, Ill. -- Gary M. Ferris, 67, of Fulton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. There will be no visitation or funeral services. Cremation rites have been accorded. Death date: March 9, 2014 Gary M. Ferris
- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson ANDREW -- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at her home, from injuries sustained in a house fire. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation
- Catherine Petras Camanche Catherine Petras Catherine Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines