March 12, 1926 - Feb. 8, 2013
Clarence G. Henry Sr., 86, of Camanche, Iowa, passed away peacefully at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Clinton, on February, 8, 2013.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Tuesday, February 12, at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Visitation will be Tuesday from 9 a.m. to the service time at the funeral home. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Camanche VFW. Pallbearers will be Grant Henry, Gene Dickinson, Joe Henry, Lou Kracuin Jr., Scott Dickinson and Tate Tiesman.
Clarence was born March, 12, 1926, in Waukon, Iowa, to Theodore and Lillian (Waters) Henry. He was raised in Waukon. After graduating from Waukon High School in 1944, Clarence enlisted in the U.S. Army. He was a veteran serving in both World War II and Korea.
On September 1, 1948, Clarence married Nada (McDonald) in Jeffersonville, Indiana. He began a career in welding which was cut short when he contracted polio. He was hospitalized at the University of Iowa Hospitals and was one of the first Iowans on an Iron Lung. After an extensive rehabilitation, Clarence was able to return home. He was later employed with Syvier Steel in Bettendorf, Iowa, until his retirement in 1981.
During his early years, Clarence was involved with both the Cub and Boy Scouts. He was a lifetime member of the VFW. He was a member of the Church of the Visitation and a past member of its parish council. Clarence was an avid reader and historian studying the Civil War. He enjoyed the outdoors, fishing and hunting. After his retirement, Clarence and Nada would travel to area camp sites and enjoyed visiting and befriending the many people they would meet.
Clarence is survived by his wife, Nada, of 64 years; four children: Clarence, Jr. (Margaret) of Clinton, Walter (Sheryl) of Surprise Arizona, Annette (Gene Dickinson) of Savanna and Grant of Camanche; seven grandchildren: Scott Dickinson, Meghan Gutierrez, Thaddeus Dickinson, Brandi Tiesman, Molly Harlow, Bridget Siegel, Katie Graves; 12 great-grandchildren; two sisters, Donna Jeffrey of Camarillo California, and Helen (Allen) Kubitz of Sparks, Nevada; a brother-in-law, Bill Zeh of Henderson Nevada; and a sister-in-law, Charlotte Widmer of Port St. Lucie, Florida.
Memorials can be made to the VA Hospital in Iowa City, Iowa.
Death date: Feb. 8, 2013
March 12, 1926 - Feb. 8, 2013
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines