March 12, 1926 - Feb. 8, 2013
Clarence G. Henry Sr., 86, of Camanche, Iowa, passed away peacefully at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Clinton, on February, 8, 2013.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Tuesday, February 12, at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Visitation will be Tuesday from 9 a.m. to the service time at the funeral home. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Camanche VFW. Pallbearers will be Grant Henry, Gene Dickinson, Joe Henry, Lou Kracuin Jr., Scott Dickinson and Tate Tiesman.
Clarence was born March, 12, 1926, in Waukon, Iowa, to Theodore and Lillian (Waters) Henry. He was raised in Waukon. After graduating from Waukon High School in 1944, Clarence enlisted in the U.S. Army. He was a veteran serving in both World War II and Korea.
On September 1, 1948, Clarence married Nada (McDonald) in Jeffersonville, Indiana. He began a career in welding which was cut short when he contracted polio. He was hospitalized at the University of Iowa Hospitals and was one of the first Iowans on an Iron Lung. After an extensive rehabilitation, Clarence was able to return home. He was later employed with Syvier Steel in Bettendorf, Iowa, until his retirement in 1981.
During his early years, Clarence was involved with both the Cub and Boy Scouts. He was a lifetime member of the VFW. He was a member of the Church of the Visitation and a past member of its parish council. Clarence was an avid reader and historian studying the Civil War. He enjoyed the outdoors, fishing and hunting. After his retirement, Clarence and Nada would travel to area camp sites and enjoyed visiting and befriending the many people they would meet.
Clarence is survived by his wife, Nada, of 64 years; four children: Clarence, Jr. (Margaret) of Clinton, Walter (Sheryl) of Surprise Arizona, Annette (Gene Dickinson) of Savanna and Grant of Camanche; seven grandchildren: Scott Dickinson, Meghan Gutierrez, Thaddeus Dickinson, Brandi Tiesman, Molly Harlow, Bridget Siegel, Katie Graves; 12 great-grandchildren; two sisters, Donna Jeffrey of Camarillo California, and Helen (Allen) Kubitz of Sparks, Nevada; a brother-in-law, Bill Zeh of Henderson Nevada; and a sister-in-law, Charlotte Widmer of Port St. Lucie, Florida.
Memorials can be made to the VA Hospital in Iowa City, Iowa.
Death date: Feb. 8, 2013
March 12, 1926 - Feb. 8, 2013
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- More Obituaries Headlines