April 17, 1947 - Feb. 13, 2013
Richard M. “Rich” Cornelius, 65, of Monticello, Iowa, died unexpectedly on Wednesday morning, February 13, 2013, at his home in Monticello, Iowa.
A celebration of Richard’s life will be held at 11 a.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, February 17, 2013, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Union Cemetery, rural Maquoketa, Iowa.
Richard Milo Cornelius was born on April 17, 1947, in Clinton, Iowa, to Milo Fred and Flossie Louise (Peterson) Cornelius. He grew up in Andrew and was a 1965 graduate of Andrew High School. He then received his Associate Degree in drafting from Morrison Institute in Morrison, Illinois, and later attended New Tribes Bible Institute in Waukesha, Wisconsin. He married Sharon Kay Yappen on September 3, 1966, in Andrew, Iowa.
In 1966, Rich began a career in the grocery business. He first worked for Paetz Super Valu in Maquoketa, then Fareway Foods, Kohl’s II, Econo Foods and HyVee. He was a produce manager for 47 years retiring in 2011. As the grocery business called, Rich went and through the years they had lived in many places in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
In 1985, Rich became a missionary pastor for Bible Extension Ministries Association starting churches in eastern Iowa. For the past five years, Rich had served as the Bible class leader of Living Hope Bible Church in Mechanicsville, Iowa.
Rich was an avid Chicago Cubs fan and enjoyed model railroads. He especially enjoyed putting the railroad together with his youngest grandson, Nathaniel.
Those left to honor Richard’s memory include his wife, Sharon Cornelius of Monticello, IA; children, Annette (Jason) Shearier of Lake Mills, WI, and Jon Cornelius of Ely, IA; 3 grandchildren, Jessica, Justin and Nathaniel; a sister, Judy (Carl) Ganzer of Maquoketa, IA; brothers-in-law, David (Karen) Yappen of San Antonio, TX, and Patrick Yappen of Anamosa, IA; and sisters-in-law, Linda (Randy) Cox of Marion, IA, and Carol (Joe) Engler of Monticello, IA.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, memorials may be made to missions.
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Feb. 13, 2013
April 17, 1947 - Feb. 13, 2013
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller June 7, 1932 - March 7, 2014 BELLEVUE -- Lavonne "Tooty" Miller, 81, of Bellevue, Iowa, passed away Friday evening, March 7, 2014 at her home in Bellevue. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11:00 a.m., Tuesday morni
- Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Andrew Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Theresa M. Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Wilma J. Owen DEWITT -- Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A service of Christian burial will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Gra
- Jerry Marquez Jr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- Jerry Marquez Jr., 77, died last Wednesday in Savanna. Burial will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Rock Island National Cemetery in Rock Island, Ill. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Sava
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
- More Obituaries Headlines