April 17, 1947 - Feb. 13, 2013
Richard M. “Rich” Cornelius, 65, of Monticello, Iowa, died unexpectedly on Wednesday morning, February 13, 2013, at his home in Monticello, Iowa.
A celebration of Richard’s life will be held at 11 a.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, February 17, 2013, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Union Cemetery, rural Maquoketa, Iowa.
Richard Milo Cornelius was born on April 17, 1947, in Clinton, Iowa, to Milo Fred and Flossie Louise (Peterson) Cornelius. He grew up in Andrew and was a 1965 graduate of Andrew High School. He then received his Associate Degree in drafting from Morrison Institute in Morrison, Illinois, and later attended New Tribes Bible Institute in Waukesha, Wisconsin. He married Sharon Kay Yappen on September 3, 1966, in Andrew, Iowa.
In 1966, Rich began a career in the grocery business. He first worked for Paetz Super Valu in Maquoketa, then Fareway Foods, Kohl’s II, Econo Foods and HyVee. He was a produce manager for 47 years retiring in 2011. As the grocery business called, Rich went and through the years they had lived in many places in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
In 1985, Rich became a missionary pastor for Bible Extension Ministries Association starting churches in eastern Iowa. For the past five years, Rich had served as the Bible class leader of Living Hope Bible Church in Mechanicsville, Iowa.
Rich was an avid Chicago Cubs fan and enjoyed model railroads. He especially enjoyed putting the railroad together with his youngest grandson, Nathaniel.
Those left to honor Richard’s memory include his wife, Sharon Cornelius of Monticello, IA; children, Annette (Jason) Shearier of Lake Mills, WI, and Jon Cornelius of Ely, IA; 3 grandchildren, Jessica, Justin and Nathaniel; a sister, Judy (Carl) Ganzer of Maquoketa, IA; brothers-in-law, David (Karen) Yappen of San Antonio, TX, and Patrick Yappen of Anamosa, IA; and sisters-in-law, Linda (Randy) Cox of Marion, IA, and Carol (Joe) Engler of Monticello, IA.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, memorials may be made to missions.
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Feb. 13, 2013
April 17, 1947 - Feb. 13, 2013
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines