April 17, 1947 - Feb. 13, 2013
Richard M. “Rich” Cornelius, 65, of Monticello, Iowa, died unexpectedly on Wednesday morning, February 13, 2013, at his home in Monticello, Iowa.
A celebration of Richard’s life will be held at 11 a.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, February 17, 2013, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Union Cemetery, rural Maquoketa, Iowa.
Richard Milo Cornelius was born on April 17, 1947, in Clinton, Iowa, to Milo Fred and Flossie Louise (Peterson) Cornelius. He grew up in Andrew and was a 1965 graduate of Andrew High School. He then received his Associate Degree in drafting from Morrison Institute in Morrison, Illinois, and later attended New Tribes Bible Institute in Waukesha, Wisconsin. He married Sharon Kay Yappen on September 3, 1966, in Andrew, Iowa.
In 1966, Rich began a career in the grocery business. He first worked for Paetz Super Valu in Maquoketa, then Fareway Foods, Kohl’s II, Econo Foods and HyVee. He was a produce manager for 47 years retiring in 2011. As the grocery business called, Rich went and through the years they had lived in many places in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
In 1985, Rich became a missionary pastor for Bible Extension Ministries Association starting churches in eastern Iowa. For the past five years, Rich had served as the Bible class leader of Living Hope Bible Church in Mechanicsville, Iowa.
Rich was an avid Chicago Cubs fan and enjoyed model railroads. He especially enjoyed putting the railroad together with his youngest grandson, Nathaniel.
Those left to honor Richard’s memory include his wife, Sharon Cornelius of Monticello, IA; children, Annette (Jason) Shearier of Lake Mills, WI, and Jon Cornelius of Ely, IA; 3 grandchildren, Jessica, Justin and Nathaniel; a sister, Judy (Carl) Ganzer of Maquoketa, IA; brothers-in-law, David (Karen) Yappen of San Antonio, TX, and Patrick Yappen of Anamosa, IA; and sisters-in-law, Linda (Randy) Cox of Marion, IA, and Carol (Joe) Engler of Monticello, IA.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, memorials may be made to missions.
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Feb. 13, 2013
April 17, 1947 - Feb. 13, 2013
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines