April 17, 1947 - Feb. 13, 2013
Richard M. “Rich” Cornelius, 65, of Monticello, Iowa, died unexpectedly on Wednesday morning, February 13, 2013, at his home in Monticello, Iowa.
A celebration of Richard’s life will be held at 11 a.m. Monday, February 18, 2013, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, February 17, 2013, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Union Cemetery, rural Maquoketa, Iowa.
Richard Milo Cornelius was born on April 17, 1947, in Clinton, Iowa, to Milo Fred and Flossie Louise (Peterson) Cornelius. He grew up in Andrew and was a 1965 graduate of Andrew High School. He then received his Associate Degree in drafting from Morrison Institute in Morrison, Illinois, and later attended New Tribes Bible Institute in Waukesha, Wisconsin. He married Sharon Kay Yappen on September 3, 1966, in Andrew, Iowa.
In 1966, Rich began a career in the grocery business. He first worked for Paetz Super Valu in Maquoketa, then Fareway Foods, Kohl’s II, Econo Foods and HyVee. He was a produce manager for 47 years retiring in 2011. As the grocery business called, Rich went and through the years they had lived in many places in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
In 1985, Rich became a missionary pastor for Bible Extension Ministries Association starting churches in eastern Iowa. For the past five years, Rich had served as the Bible class leader of Living Hope Bible Church in Mechanicsville, Iowa.
Rich was an avid Chicago Cubs fan and enjoyed model railroads. He especially enjoyed putting the railroad together with his youngest grandson, Nathaniel.
Those left to honor Richard’s memory include his wife, Sharon Cornelius of Monticello, IA; children, Annette (Jason) Shearier of Lake Mills, WI, and Jon Cornelius of Ely, IA; 3 grandchildren, Jessica, Justin and Nathaniel; a sister, Judy (Carl) Ganzer of Maquoketa, IA; brothers-in-law, David (Karen) Yappen of San Antonio, TX, and Patrick Yappen of Anamosa, IA; and sisters-in-law, Linda (Randy) Cox of Marion, IA, and Carol (Joe) Engler of Monticello, IA.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, memorials may be made to missions.
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Feb. 13, 2013
April 17, 1947 - Feb. 13, 2013
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- Mary Anne Knox Mary Anne Knox May 26, 1928 - Dec. 2, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Anne Knox, 85, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully at the Alverno on December 2, 2013. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 7 at the Greater True Love Baptis
- Dorothy M. Schaver Dorothy M. Schaver Oct. 4, 1927 - Dec. 3, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Dorothy M. Schaver, 86, of Fulton, died Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at her home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, December 7, 2013, at the Trinity Reformed Church i
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines