Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
July 30, 1921-Sept. 11, 2012
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Edith Thompson Brainerd, age 91, passed peacefully from this life in the early morning hours on Tuesday, September 11, 2012, in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Edith was born in LaRue County, Kentucky, on July 30, 1921, the youngest of three children born to the late Shafter Hobson Thompson and Lizzie Brown Shofner. She moved with her mother and her two siblings into central Illinois in the late 1930s, settling in Dixon, Illinois, where she worked at the Dixon munitions factory during World War II. During this time, she met Robert Brainerd, who she married on May 30, 1947. They lived in Whiteside County, settling in Fulton, Illinois, by 1958. Bob and Edith were married 50 years, until Bob’s death in April 1998.
Edith was smart, creative, feisty, and a tireless hard worker. Her family, her husband and her children were her life’s work. Edith devoted herself to her family, working tirelessly and sacrificing much to ensure that her children had the education, opportunities and lives that she could only dream about. Edith had a sixteen-year journey with dementia, which she handled well, retaining the essence and spirit of her personality until the very end.
In addition to her husband and parents, her brother, Woodrow Thompson, and her sister, Pauline Thompson Sprowls, preceded Edith in death.
She is survived by her children, Teresa Brainerd Hays (nee John) of Franklin, Tennessee, David R. Brainerd (nee Cathaline (Cathy) Cannon) of Chattanooga, Tennessee; three grandchildren, Owen Hays of Franklin, Tennessee, Cora Hays of Chicago, Illinois, and Caitlin Brainerd of Knoxville, Tennessee.
A graveside ceremony and internment in Springdale Cemetery in Clinton, Iowa, will be held on Saturday, October 13, 2012, at 10 a.m. The family requests that those wishing to make memorials do so in the name of Edith Brainerd to: The Sisters of St. Joseph, 2311 W. Wagner Lane, Peoria, Il 61615. Those wishing to offer the family their condolences may do so at Lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Sept. 11, 2012
Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- Louis K. Ronnfeldt Louis K. Ronnfeldt Sept. 11, 1940 - Dec. 7, 2013 CAMANCHE -- Louis K. Ronnfeldt, age 73, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, December 7, 2013 at his home. In following his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A gathering of family and friends w
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Lawrence 'Larry' E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. A funeral service will be held at noon Wednesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will take pla
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- More Obituaries Headlines