Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
July 30, 1921-Sept. 11, 2012
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Edith Thompson Brainerd, age 91, passed peacefully from this life in the early morning hours on Tuesday, September 11, 2012, in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Edith was born in LaRue County, Kentucky, on July 30, 1921, the youngest of three children born to the late Shafter Hobson Thompson and Lizzie Brown Shofner. She moved with her mother and her two siblings into central Illinois in the late 1930s, settling in Dixon, Illinois, where she worked at the Dixon munitions factory during World War II. During this time, she met Robert Brainerd, who she married on May 30, 1947. They lived in Whiteside County, settling in Fulton, Illinois, by 1958. Bob and Edith were married 50 years, until Bob’s death in April 1998.
Edith was smart, creative, feisty, and a tireless hard worker. Her family, her husband and her children were her life’s work. Edith devoted herself to her family, working tirelessly and sacrificing much to ensure that her children had the education, opportunities and lives that she could only dream about. Edith had a sixteen-year journey with dementia, which she handled well, retaining the essence and spirit of her personality until the very end.
In addition to her husband and parents, her brother, Woodrow Thompson, and her sister, Pauline Thompson Sprowls, preceded Edith in death.
She is survived by her children, Teresa Brainerd Hays (nee John) of Franklin, Tennessee, David R. Brainerd (nee Cathaline (Cathy) Cannon) of Chattanooga, Tennessee; three grandchildren, Owen Hays of Franklin, Tennessee, Cora Hays of Chicago, Illinois, and Caitlin Brainerd of Knoxville, Tennessee.
A graveside ceremony and internment in Springdale Cemetery in Clinton, Iowa, will be held on Saturday, October 13, 2012, at 10 a.m. The family requests that those wishing to make memorials do so in the name of Edith Brainerd to: The Sisters of St. Joseph, 2311 W. Wagner Lane, Peoria, Il 61615. Those wishing to offer the family their condolences may do so at Lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Sept. 11, 2012
Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen, age 72 of Belmont, CA formerly of San Francisco, CA died February 28, 2014. Per his wishes he was cremated. A memorial service will be April 4, 2014 and his ashes will be scattered in San Francisco Bay.
Mary Ann "Ma" Finn
Formerly of Fulton, IL, Ann was born in Glasgow, Scotland, & immigrated to America with her family. She worked at A.C. Neilsen Co. & Eagles Grocery Store.
- Wilma Reichling MAQUOKETA -- Wilma Reichling, 90, of Maquoketa, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Clover Ridge in Maquoketa. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Vi
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Clinton Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jackson Rhys Laurion CLINTON -- Jackson Rhys Laurion, infant son of Levi and Jessica Laurion, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation wil
- Donald A. Lass Donald A. Lass Jan. 4, 1937 - March 3, 2014 CLINTON -- Donald A. Lass took his Savior's hand and stepped into paradise early Monday morning, March 3, 2014, his father's birthday, after succumbing to long-term effects of Parkinson's disease. Cremation
- Martin 'Marty' Fritz LANARK, Ill. -- Martin "Marty" Fritz, 89, of Lanark, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna, Ill. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the First Brethren Church in Lanark, with Pastor E. C. Lathrop officiating. Military rit
- Richard S. “Dick” Lewandowski, Jr.
- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal OMAHA, Neb. -- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal, 71, of Omaha, died Feb. 13. Memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. March 29 with Captain Allen Otto officiating the service at the Salvation Army Citadel, 219 First Ave., with a luncheon to follow at the
- James L. 'Jamie' Yarolem BALDWIN -- James L. "Jamie" Yarolem, 48, of Baldwin, died Sunday at his mother's home in rural Baldwin. Friends and family may gather in remembrance on Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Cremation has taken p
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen