Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
July 30, 1921-Sept. 11, 2012
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Edith Thompson Brainerd, age 91, passed peacefully from this life in the early morning hours on Tuesday, September 11, 2012, in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Edith was born in LaRue County, Kentucky, on July 30, 1921, the youngest of three children born to the late Shafter Hobson Thompson and Lizzie Brown Shofner. She moved with her mother and her two siblings into central Illinois in the late 1930s, settling in Dixon, Illinois, where she worked at the Dixon munitions factory during World War II. During this time, she met Robert Brainerd, who she married on May 30, 1947. They lived in Whiteside County, settling in Fulton, Illinois, by 1958. Bob and Edith were married 50 years, until Bob’s death in April 1998.
Edith was smart, creative, feisty, and a tireless hard worker. Her family, her husband and her children were her life’s work. Edith devoted herself to her family, working tirelessly and sacrificing much to ensure that her children had the education, opportunities and lives that she could only dream about. Edith had a sixteen-year journey with dementia, which she handled well, retaining the essence and spirit of her personality until the very end.
In addition to her husband and parents, her brother, Woodrow Thompson, and her sister, Pauline Thompson Sprowls, preceded Edith in death.
She is survived by her children, Teresa Brainerd Hays (nee John) of Franklin, Tennessee, David R. Brainerd (nee Cathaline (Cathy) Cannon) of Chattanooga, Tennessee; three grandchildren, Owen Hays of Franklin, Tennessee, Cora Hays of Chicago, Illinois, and Caitlin Brainerd of Knoxville, Tennessee.
A graveside ceremony and internment in Springdale Cemetery in Clinton, Iowa, will be held on Saturday, October 13, 2012, at 10 a.m. The family requests that those wishing to make memorials do so in the name of Edith Brainerd to: The Sisters of St. Joseph, 2311 W. Wagner Lane, Peoria, Il 61615. Those wishing to offer the family their condolences may do so at Lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Sept. 11, 2012
Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
- Lois M. Thomsen ClintonLois M. ThomsenLois M. Thomsen, 85, of Clinton died Friday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Robert A. Naeve ClintonRobert A. NaeveRobert A. Naeve, 81, of Clinton, died Thursday at the Alverno Health Care facility.Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Elizabeth Lee 'Dolly' Kunde MaquoketaElizabeth Lee ‘Dolly’ KundeElizabeth Lee “Dolly” Kunde, 69, of Maquoketa, died Thursday at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa.Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Linda Kay Schnoor Linda Kay SchnoorMay 20, 1945 - July 29, 2014IOWA CITY — Linda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, Iowa passed away on Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Cremation rites have been accorded with a prayer and remembrance c
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines