Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
July 30, 1921-Sept. 11, 2012
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Edith Thompson Brainerd, age 91, passed peacefully from this life in the early morning hours on Tuesday, September 11, 2012, in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Edith was born in LaRue County, Kentucky, on July 30, 1921, the youngest of three children born to the late Shafter Hobson Thompson and Lizzie Brown Shofner. She moved with her mother and her two siblings into central Illinois in the late 1930s, settling in Dixon, Illinois, where she worked at the Dixon munitions factory during World War II. During this time, she met Robert Brainerd, who she married on May 30, 1947. They lived in Whiteside County, settling in Fulton, Illinois, by 1958. Bob and Edith were married 50 years, until Bob’s death in April 1998.
Edith was smart, creative, feisty, and a tireless hard worker. Her family, her husband and her children were her life’s work. Edith devoted herself to her family, working tirelessly and sacrificing much to ensure that her children had the education, opportunities and lives that she could only dream about. Edith had a sixteen-year journey with dementia, which she handled well, retaining the essence and spirit of her personality until the very end.
In addition to her husband and parents, her brother, Woodrow Thompson, and her sister, Pauline Thompson Sprowls, preceded Edith in death.
She is survived by her children, Teresa Brainerd Hays (nee John) of Franklin, Tennessee, David R. Brainerd (nee Cathaline (Cathy) Cannon) of Chattanooga, Tennessee; three grandchildren, Owen Hays of Franklin, Tennessee, Cora Hays of Chicago, Illinois, and Caitlin Brainerd of Knoxville, Tennessee.
A graveside ceremony and internment in Springdale Cemetery in Clinton, Iowa, will be held on Saturday, October 13, 2012, at 10 a.m. The family requests that those wishing to make memorials do so in the name of Edith Brainerd to: The Sisters of St. Joseph, 2311 W. Wagner Lane, Peoria, Il 61615. Those wishing to offer the family their condolences may do so at Lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Sept. 11, 2012
Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- Nellie Douma Morrison, Ill.Nellie DoumaNellie Douma, 97, of Morrison, died Jan. 21 at Morrison Community Hospital.Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Brentley Louis Kemp MAQUOKETA — Brentley Louis Kemp, infant son of Justin and Michelle (Pierson) Kemp, of Maquoketa, died July 10.Private services will be held. Death date: July 10, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DEWITT — Brenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus.
- Bernice Viola Sander Bernice Viola SanderOct. 17, 1913 - July 17, 2014CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday, July 17, 2014 at home after 100 great years and will be missed by all her family.Memorial services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, July 25, 2
- Martin Allen Stansbarger ClintonMartin Allen StansbargerMartin Allen Stansbarger died Saturday at birth at Mercy Medical Center North.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- John W. Bousman John W. BousmanOct. 20, 1937 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — John W. Bousman Sr., age 76, of Clinton, died Friday, July 18, 2014, at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, surrounded by his family. They released him from all medical intervention and
- Lola Alice Lange FULTON, Ill. — Lola Alice Lange, 98, of Morrison, Illinois, died Saturday at Resthave Home in Morrison.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home, with the Rev. James Camp officiating. Visitatio
- More Obituaries Headlines