Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
July 30, 1921-Sept. 11, 2012
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Edith Thompson Brainerd, age 91, passed peacefully from this life in the early morning hours on Tuesday, September 11, 2012, in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Edith was born in LaRue County, Kentucky, on July 30, 1921, the youngest of three children born to the late Shafter Hobson Thompson and Lizzie Brown Shofner. She moved with her mother and her two siblings into central Illinois in the late 1930s, settling in Dixon, Illinois, where she worked at the Dixon munitions factory during World War II. During this time, she met Robert Brainerd, who she married on May 30, 1947. They lived in Whiteside County, settling in Fulton, Illinois, by 1958. Bob and Edith were married 50 years, until Bob’s death in April 1998.
Edith was smart, creative, feisty, and a tireless hard worker. Her family, her husband and her children were her life’s work. Edith devoted herself to her family, working tirelessly and sacrificing much to ensure that her children had the education, opportunities and lives that she could only dream about. Edith had a sixteen-year journey with dementia, which she handled well, retaining the essence and spirit of her personality until the very end.
In addition to her husband and parents, her brother, Woodrow Thompson, and her sister, Pauline Thompson Sprowls, preceded Edith in death.
She is survived by her children, Teresa Brainerd Hays (nee John) of Franklin, Tennessee, David R. Brainerd (nee Cathaline (Cathy) Cannon) of Chattanooga, Tennessee; three grandchildren, Owen Hays of Franklin, Tennessee, Cora Hays of Chicago, Illinois, and Caitlin Brainerd of Knoxville, Tennessee.
A graveside ceremony and internment in Springdale Cemetery in Clinton, Iowa, will be held on Saturday, October 13, 2012, at 10 a.m. The family requests that those wishing to make memorials do so in the name of Edith Brainerd to: The Sisters of St. Joseph, 2311 W. Wagner Lane, Peoria, Il 61615. Those wishing to offer the family their condolences may do so at Lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Sept. 11, 2012
Murfreesboro, Tenn. —
Edith Thompson Brainerd
- Justin G. Curtin PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Justin G. Curtin, 30, of Prophetstown, died Monday at home. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Bosma-Gibson Funeral Home
- Martha Belle Rhode SAVANNA, Ill. -- Martha Belle Rhode, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing facility in Savanna. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the United Methodist Church in Savanna, with the Rev. Sejoon Jang officiating. Memorial
- Sheila A. Jones Sheila A. Jones Aug. 4, 1963 - Dec. 11, 2013 CLINTON -- Sheila A. Jones, age 50, of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton. A gathering of family and friends will be held from 12:00 noon until 2:00 p
- Lillyawana Sky Volker IOWA CITY -- Infant Lillyawana Sky Volker passed away with the assured comfort of her loving parents at her side on December 6th, 2013 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. Lillyawana was born November 19th, 2013 in Iowa City, Iowa, the daughter of J
- Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Aug. 11, 1939 - Dec. 10, 2013 CLINTON -- Elizabeth "Betty" E. Grossman, 74, of Clinton, Iowa passed away at the University of Iowa Hospitals on December 10th, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Frid
- Martha Belle Rhoden Savanna, Ill. Martha Belle Rhoden Martha Belle Rhoden, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. Arrangements are pending at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna.
- Donald E. Ludvigsen Donald E. Ludvigsen Dec. 5, 1930 - Dec. 9, 2013 CLINTON -- Donald E. Ludvigsen, age 83, of Clinton, died Monday Dec. 9, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. There will be no visitation or funeral services held; cremation rites have been accorded. The
- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis MILES -- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis, 84, died Monday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Preston. A visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 to 11 a.m. a
- LaVerne A. Reckinger Sr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- LaVerne A. Reckinger, Sr., 86, of Savanna, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna. Burial will take place in Marywood Catholic
- Marian Rose Marian Rose April 7, 1919 - Dec. 9, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Marian Rose, 94, of Fulton, died Monday, December 9, 2013, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, IL. Funeral service is at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma
- More Obituaries Headlines