China, Texas —
Raymond R. “Ray” Goynes
May 20, 1930-Oct. 8, 2012
CHINA, Texas — Raymond R. “Ray” Goynes, 82, of China, died Monday, October 8, 2012, at Beaumont Healthcare Center.
Services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, October 13, 2012, at the Catholic Church of the Visitation, Camanche. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, October 12, 2012, at the Church of the Visitation where a 6:30 p.m. vigil service will be conducted. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery, Camanche, with full military honors.
Pallbearers and honorary pallbearers will be grandchildren and spouses: Alicia Clark, Denise and Scott Shepard, Elisabeth Clark, Megan Kershner, Ricky Goynes, Jerry and Dallas Cartee, Tabatha and Danny Ahlers, Amber Goynes, Chase Goynes, Jesse Goynes, Summer Goynes, Stephanie Goynes, Ryan and Melissa Goynes, Candace and Nick Capuano, Hallie Brantley, Brooke Brantley, Maddy Goynes, Justin Mussman, and Ashley and Nate Fuller. The Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangements.
He was born on May 20, 1930, in Cavite, Philippines, to Rosie King Goynes and George A. Goynes. He married Carolyn Henry on January 9, 1954, in Orange, TX; she died September 17, 1994. He later married Jane Leger on April 26, 1997, in China, TX.
Ray was a prisoner of war when he was a child during World War II. After the war, he moved back to southeast Texas and graduated from Lutcher Stark High School in Orange. He was a United States Marine Corps veteran having served in the Korean War where he received the Purple Heart.
He worked for DuPont in Orange for twenty-one years, ultimately retiring from Quantum Petrochemical Company as a production maintenance supervisor in Clinton, Iowa. He also worked in Basra, Iraq, with Lummus from 1979 to 1980 prior to moving back to Camanche and retiring from Chemplex/Quantum. After his retirement, he moved back to southeast Texas in 1995.
Ray is survived by his wife, Jane Leger Goynes; daughters, Sandy Clark of Clinton, Iowa, and Tina Mussman and her husband, Jeff, of Camanche, Iowa; sons, Rick Goynes and his wife, Marya, of Clinton, Iowa; Paul Goynes and his wife, Paula, of Grapevine; Phil Goynes and his wife, Jan, of Pearland; and Tim Goynes of San Francisco, California; stepsons, Bart Leger and his wife, Joline, of China; Jeffery Leger and his wife, Lucille; and Lawrence Leger and his wife, Kelly, all of Beaumont; and Ross Leger and his wife, Nan, of Poth; stepdaughters, Christine Voan and her husband, Bob, of China; Lisa Doguet and her husband, Mike, of Nome; Sheila Golson and her husband, Kyle, of Kingwood; and Stephanie Padgett and her husband, James, of China; sister, Irene Middlebrooks of Bridge City; brothers, Fred Goynes of San Antonio and Larry Goynes of Cave Junction, Oregon; thirty-nine grandchildren; thirty-two great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
He is preceded in death by his first wife, Carolyn Goynes; brothers, George Goynes and Charles Goynes; sister, Lillian Goynes; and son-in-law, Denny Clark.
Death date: Oct. 8, 2012
China, Texas —
Raymond R. “Ray” Goynes
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines