June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
Pauline L. Baasch, age 91, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, March 3, 2013, at the Alverno Health Care Facility.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Thursday at St. John Lutheran Church with the Rev. Daniel Pool officiating. Visitation will be held Thursday 10 a.m. until the service hour at the church. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the St. John Lutheran Church Radio Mission. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Pauline was born on June 11, 1921, in Elk River Township, Iowa, the daughter of Hans and Flossie (Struve) Baasch. She graduated from Lyons High School in 1938 and attended Mount St. Clare College, Clinton. She received her BA degree from the University of Iowa. Pauline was a dedicated teacher who loved her students. She began her teaching in country schools, DeWitt schools and Low Moor Elementary when in 1948 she was one of two teachers at the school when it burned. They made sure that the 36 students got out of the building, which collapsed just minutes after Pauline exited. Most coats, books and equipment were lost, but all the children and their two teachers escaped unharmed. In 1953, she was assigned to the new Horace Mann Elementary School where she taught second grade until her retirement in 1983.
Pauline was a member of St. John Lutheran Church, its Mary Martha Circle and Over 50 Club. She was a member of the Retired Teachers Association and a life member of both the American Schleswig-Holstein Heritage Society and the German American Heritage Center. She loved animals especially watching and feeding the birds. A highlight of her life was a trip to Europe in 1956 together with her sister, Georgiana. They were able to meet their German aunt and her family and see where their father had lived before he immigrated to the United States.
Pauline is survived by her sister, Evelyn (Elvis) Wieck of DeWitt; a brother, Edward (Shirley) Baasch of rural Clinton; three nieces, Kathlyn Hofmann of DeWitt, Susan Coon of Clinton and Debra Sebby of LaFollette, TN; and eight great-nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her sister, Georgiana; a niece, Cheryl Wieck; and an infant nephew.
Death date: March 3, 2013
June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines