June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
Pauline L. Baasch, age 91, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, March 3, 2013, at the Alverno Health Care Facility.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Thursday at St. John Lutheran Church with the Rev. Daniel Pool officiating. Visitation will be held Thursday 10 a.m. until the service hour at the church. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the St. John Lutheran Church Radio Mission. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Pauline was born on June 11, 1921, in Elk River Township, Iowa, the daughter of Hans and Flossie (Struve) Baasch. She graduated from Lyons High School in 1938 and attended Mount St. Clare College, Clinton. She received her BA degree from the University of Iowa. Pauline was a dedicated teacher who loved her students. She began her teaching in country schools, DeWitt schools and Low Moor Elementary when in 1948 she was one of two teachers at the school when it burned. They made sure that the 36 students got out of the building, which collapsed just minutes after Pauline exited. Most coats, books and equipment were lost, but all the children and their two teachers escaped unharmed. In 1953, she was assigned to the new Horace Mann Elementary School where she taught second grade until her retirement in 1983.
Pauline was a member of St. John Lutheran Church, its Mary Martha Circle and Over 50 Club. She was a member of the Retired Teachers Association and a life member of both the American Schleswig-Holstein Heritage Society and the German American Heritage Center. She loved animals especially watching and feeding the birds. A highlight of her life was a trip to Europe in 1956 together with her sister, Georgiana. They were able to meet their German aunt and her family and see where their father had lived before he immigrated to the United States.
Pauline is survived by her sister, Evelyn (Elvis) Wieck of DeWitt; a brother, Edward (Shirley) Baasch of rural Clinton; three nieces, Kathlyn Hofmann of DeWitt, Susan Coon of Clinton and Debra Sebby of LaFollette, TN; and eight great-nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her sister, Georgiana; a niece, Cheryl Wieck; and an infant nephew.
Death date: March 3, 2013
June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines