June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
Pauline L. Baasch, age 91, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, March 3, 2013, at the Alverno Health Care Facility.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Thursday at St. John Lutheran Church with the Rev. Daniel Pool officiating. Visitation will be held Thursday 10 a.m. until the service hour at the church. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the St. John Lutheran Church Radio Mission. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Pauline was born on June 11, 1921, in Elk River Township, Iowa, the daughter of Hans and Flossie (Struve) Baasch. She graduated from Lyons High School in 1938 and attended Mount St. Clare College, Clinton. She received her BA degree from the University of Iowa. Pauline was a dedicated teacher who loved her students. She began her teaching in country schools, DeWitt schools and Low Moor Elementary when in 1948 she was one of two teachers at the school when it burned. They made sure that the 36 students got out of the building, which collapsed just minutes after Pauline exited. Most coats, books and equipment were lost, but all the children and their two teachers escaped unharmed. In 1953, she was assigned to the new Horace Mann Elementary School where she taught second grade until her retirement in 1983.
Pauline was a member of St. John Lutheran Church, its Mary Martha Circle and Over 50 Club. She was a member of the Retired Teachers Association and a life member of both the American Schleswig-Holstein Heritage Society and the German American Heritage Center. She loved animals especially watching and feeding the birds. A highlight of her life was a trip to Europe in 1956 together with her sister, Georgiana. They were able to meet their German aunt and her family and see where their father had lived before he immigrated to the United States.
Pauline is survived by her sister, Evelyn (Elvis) Wieck of DeWitt; a brother, Edward (Shirley) Baasch of rural Clinton; three nieces, Kathlyn Hofmann of DeWitt, Susan Coon of Clinton and Debra Sebby of LaFollette, TN; and eight great-nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her sister, Georgiana; a niece, Cheryl Wieck; and an infant nephew.
Death date: March 3, 2013
June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- More Obituaries Headlines