June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
Pauline L. Baasch, age 91, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, March 3, 2013, at the Alverno Health Care Facility.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Thursday at St. John Lutheran Church with the Rev. Daniel Pool officiating. Visitation will be held Thursday 10 a.m. until the service hour at the church. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the St. John Lutheran Church Radio Mission. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Pauline was born on June 11, 1921, in Elk River Township, Iowa, the daughter of Hans and Flossie (Struve) Baasch. She graduated from Lyons High School in 1938 and attended Mount St. Clare College, Clinton. She received her BA degree from the University of Iowa. Pauline was a dedicated teacher who loved her students. She began her teaching in country schools, DeWitt schools and Low Moor Elementary when in 1948 she was one of two teachers at the school when it burned. They made sure that the 36 students got out of the building, which collapsed just minutes after Pauline exited. Most coats, books and equipment were lost, but all the children and their two teachers escaped unharmed. In 1953, she was assigned to the new Horace Mann Elementary School where she taught second grade until her retirement in 1983.
Pauline was a member of St. John Lutheran Church, its Mary Martha Circle and Over 50 Club. She was a member of the Retired Teachers Association and a life member of both the American Schleswig-Holstein Heritage Society and the German American Heritage Center. She loved animals especially watching and feeding the birds. A highlight of her life was a trip to Europe in 1956 together with her sister, Georgiana. They were able to meet their German aunt and her family and see where their father had lived before he immigrated to the United States.
Pauline is survived by her sister, Evelyn (Elvis) Wieck of DeWitt; a brother, Edward (Shirley) Baasch of rural Clinton; three nieces, Kathlyn Hofmann of DeWitt, Susan Coon of Clinton and Debra Sebby of LaFollette, TN; and eight great-nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her sister, Georgiana; a niece, Cheryl Wieck; and an infant nephew.
Death date: March 3, 2013
June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines