June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
Pauline L. Baasch, age 91, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, March 3, 2013, at the Alverno Health Care Facility.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Thursday at St. John Lutheran Church with the Rev. Daniel Pool officiating. Visitation will be held Thursday 10 a.m. until the service hour at the church. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. Memorials may be given to the St. John Lutheran Church Radio Mission. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Pauline was born on June 11, 1921, in Elk River Township, Iowa, the daughter of Hans and Flossie (Struve) Baasch. She graduated from Lyons High School in 1938 and attended Mount St. Clare College, Clinton. She received her BA degree from the University of Iowa. Pauline was a dedicated teacher who loved her students. She began her teaching in country schools, DeWitt schools and Low Moor Elementary when in 1948 she was one of two teachers at the school when it burned. They made sure that the 36 students got out of the building, which collapsed just minutes after Pauline exited. Most coats, books and equipment were lost, but all the children and their two teachers escaped unharmed. In 1953, she was assigned to the new Horace Mann Elementary School where she taught second grade until her retirement in 1983.
Pauline was a member of St. John Lutheran Church, its Mary Martha Circle and Over 50 Club. She was a member of the Retired Teachers Association and a life member of both the American Schleswig-Holstein Heritage Society and the German American Heritage Center. She loved animals especially watching and feeding the birds. A highlight of her life was a trip to Europe in 1956 together with her sister, Georgiana. They were able to meet their German aunt and her family and see where their father had lived before he immigrated to the United States.
Pauline is survived by her sister, Evelyn (Elvis) Wieck of DeWitt; a brother, Edward (Shirley) Baasch of rural Clinton; three nieces, Kathlyn Hofmann of DeWitt, Susan Coon of Clinton and Debra Sebby of LaFollette, TN; and eight great-nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her sister, Georgiana; a niece, Cheryl Wieck; and an infant nephew.
Death date: March 3, 2013
June 11, 1921 - March 3, 2013
- Lois M. Thomsen ClintonLois M. ThomsenLois M. Thomsen, 85, of Clinton died Friday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Robert A. Naeve ClintonRobert A. NaeveRobert A. Naeve, 81, of Clinton, died Thursday at the Alverno Health Care facility.Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Elizabeth Lee 'Dolly' Kunde MaquoketaElizabeth Lee ‘Dolly’ KundeElizabeth Lee “Dolly” Kunde, 69, of Maquoketa, died Thursday at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa.Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Linda Kay Schnoor Linda Kay SchnoorMay 20, 1945 - July 29, 2014IOWA CITY — Linda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, Iowa passed away on Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Cremation rites have been accorded with a prayer and remembrance c
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines