June 15, 1921 - Sept. 27, 2012
John C. Aplin, Sr., 91, of Camanche, IA, passed away Thursday, September 27, 2012, peacefully in his home surrounded by his loving family.
Services will be held at 10 a.m., Monday, October 1, 2012 at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home & Crematory. Visitation will be 2 to 5 p.m., Sunday, September 30, 2012 at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig and will conclude with a Masonic Blue Lodge service. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery, Camanche with full Military Honors conducted by the Camanche VFW.
John was born June 15, 1921 in Lyons, IA. He married Glenda Anson on December 24, 1942. They were soul mates for 55 years.
He is survived by his children Alice Thiemann of Davenport, IA, John (Gloria) of Indianapolis, In., Gary (Debra) of Roy Utah, Jeff (Valene) of Spring, TX, Kurt of Fernandina Beach, FL, and Debra (Roy) Luce of Camanche, IA. He is also survived by his two sisters Fern Cone of Silvis, IL and Doris Morten of Denver, CO and one brother Charles Aplin, Ankeny, IA, 10 grand children and 8 great grand children, as well as numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife Glenda, his parents Charles Aplin and Adelia Meyer, and a special friend Ann Campbell.
He was a veteran of the United States Army. He farmed near Toronto, IA prior to moving to Camanche, IA in 1964. He retired as plant manager from Union Carbide in Clinton, IA. In addition to his love of family John loved serving his community and did so in many ways. He served two terms as Mayor of Camanche, IA and several terms as a Camanche City Councilman. He volunteered as a driver for mobile meals, the VA Hospitals, and the Shriner’s Hospital for Children. He was honored to serve on the board of directors for the Shriner’s Hospital for Children in Chicago, IL. He was a proud third generation member of the Masonic Lodge #60 of Camanche, IA and a 32nd Degree Mason in the Scottish Rite. He was a member of the United Methodist Church in Lyons, IA. He was an avid Chicago Cubs fan and a Wheel of Fortune “Wheel Watcher.” He enjoyed his daily Kwik Star coffee and reading his favorite books at the Clinton riverfront. He will be missed beyond words by his family and those who have had the honor to meet him.
In lieu of flowers the family requests donations to any Shriner’s Hospital for Children.
Online condolences may be left by visiting www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: Sept. 27, 2012
June 15, 1921 - Sept. 27, 2012
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Sandra L. Jones Sandra L. Jones Dec. 6, 1955 - Dec. 2, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Sandra L. Jones, 57, of Fulton, died Monday, December 2, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Friday, December 6, 2013 at the Albany Uni
- Harlo Henningsen Harlo Henningsen Jan. 19, 1959 - Dec. 1, 2013 BETTENDORF -- Harlo Henningsen, 54, of Bettendorf, died suddenly on Sunday, December 1, 2013 at Trinity Unity Point in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013
- Veronica C. Determan Veronica C. Determan July 8, 1917 - Dec. 3, 2013 PRESTON -- Veronica C. Determan, age 96, of Preston, Iowa died Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at the Alverno in Clinton, Iowa. A Funeral Mass will be held 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 6, 2013 at St. Joseph
- Alfonso "Al" Antonio Cantu Jr. ELIZABETH, Ill. -- Alfonso "Al" Antonio Cantu Jr., 74, of Mt. Carroll, Ill. died Saturday, at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, Peoria, Ill. A memorial service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, at Law-Jones Funeral Home, 107 N. Main Street, Elizabeth. B
- Mary Knox Clinton Mary Knox Mary Knox, 85, of Clinton, died Tuesday, at The Alverno. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Home. Mary Knox
- More Obituaries Headlines