In Loving Memory - Verla Eileen (Fletcher) Vens
Verla E. (Fletcher) Vens, 83, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at Alverno Skilled Care on Wednesday, September 19, 2012, surrounded by family. Visitation will be held at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday, September 23rd concluding with a vigil service. Mass of the Christian burial celebrating her life will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday, September 24, 2012, at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Pallbearers will be grandsons, Raymond B. Vens, David M. Vens, Robert N. Vens, Anthony A.J. Vens, Brian J. McConnell, Kevin M. McConnell, Adam J. Mangan, Aaron M. Mangan, Cameron J. Vens, Joseph C. Vens and Ryan J. Vens. Burial will be in the St. Ireneaus Catholic Cemetery.
Verla was born January 2, 1929, to Harry A. Fletcher and Mae E. (McFate) Fletcher in Argo, Iowa. She was educated in the DeWitt schools and graduated with the Class of 1948. Verla participated in many school activities, including cheerleading, and was a baton twirler for the DeWitt High School marching band.
She was employed by Iowa Mutual Insurance Company for several years. Verla married Raymond J. (Ray) Vens of DeWitt, Iowa, on August 26, 1950, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in DeWitt, Iowa. They were the parents of seven children, four boys and three girls. They lived in DeWitt, Iowa, for two years and then moved to Fairfield, Iowa, for two years before moving to Iowa City, Iowa. In 1963, the family moved to Clinton, Iowa, where Verla and her husband, Ray, joined William and Irene Core to form Core-Vens Insurance, a local Independent Insurance agency. Verla served on the Board of the company for several years as a director and officer.
In raising her family in Clinton, Verla served the community on many committees and volunteer activities, including Den Mother, St. Patrick’s School lunch program and Room Mother, Mercy Hospital Auxiliary and gift shop, snack bar, thrift shop, Mobile Meals, Alverno patient activities, Clinton Country Club, Parent Teacher Associations, and St. Patrick’s Church/Prince of Peace Parish.
She loved spending time with her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and hosting family gatherings. Her life was dedicated to their support and well-being.
Verla enjoyed cooking and flower gardening/landscaping at their family homes. She enjoyed visiting with her friends, playing bridge, golfing, and traveling with family and friends. She was a member and past officer of Chapter MH of the PEO Sisterhood.
Survivors include her children, Ellen Rae (Dr. Michael) Dehner of Alta, IA, Michael D. (Nancy) Vens of Mt. Pleasant, IA, Diane C. McConnell of Clinton, Jean M. (Mitch) Mangan of Clinton, Jeffrey A. (deceased) (Karen) Vens of Waukee, IA, Christopher D. (Kristine) Vens of Clinton, and Randall J. (Brenda) Vens of Clinton, 18 grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, and her sister, Marge Christopherson, of Clarence, IA.
She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, Raymond J. Vens on September 8, 2011, son Jeffrey A. Vens on November 6, 1999, and her brother, Gabby Fletcher.
Memorials may be made to a memorial fund being established in Verla’s name.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: Sept. 19, 2012
In Loving Memory - Verla Eileen (Fletcher) Vens
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- Louis K. Ronnfeldt Louis K. Ronnfeldt Sept. 11, 1940 - Dec. 7, 2013 CAMANCHE -- Louis K. Ronnfeldt, age 73, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, December 7, 2013 at his home. In following his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A gathering of family and friends w
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Lawrence 'Larry' E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. A funeral service will be held at noon Wednesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will take pla
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- More Obituaries Headlines