July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
Edward (Slim) Charles Simon, age 77, died peacefully from lung cancer on Saturday morning, at his home surrounded by his family.
In honoring Edward’s wishes, no services or visitation will be held at this time. A memorial gathering will be held Sunday, July 28, 2013, at the Eagles Club in Monticello from noon until 4 p.m. Interment will be in the Oakwood Cemetery at a later date. Goettsch Funeral Home, Monticello, is caring for Edward and his family. Thoughts, memories and condolences may be left at www.goettschonline.com. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Cancer Research Foundation or Above and Beyond Hospice.
Those left to cherish his memory are his wife, LaFonda; a son, Douglas (Lisa) Simon, Marion; a daughter, Karen (Terry) Hildebrand, Robins; 4 grandchildren, Kelly and Brent Simon and Cole and Riley Hildebrand; a sister, Norma Zigler, Naperville, Ill.; his mother-in-law, Lovelda Thielen, Sabula; brother-in-law, Wally Lewis, Sparta, WI; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Nancy and Stanley Von Thun, Andover; nieces and nephews, Kathy (Pat) Rossett, Melanie (Mike) Galle, Scott (Tabby) Lewis, Charlotte (Mike) Peters, Steve (Marigrace) Von Thun and Laura Von Thun.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a sister, Phyllis Lewis; and his father-in-law, Otto Thielen.
Edward Charles Simon was born July 28, 1935, at Savanna, Illinois. He was the son of Edward and Mildred Simon. Ed graduated from Savanna High School in 1953. He went on to serve in the United States Army from 1957 until 1960. On September 25, 1960, he was united in marriage to LaFonda Thielen at the Sabula Lutheran Church. Ed operated heavy equipment for Tschiggfrie, Dave Schmitt and Horsefield Construction. He was also an owner-operator of a tractor-trailer for several years, driving for companies such as Warren Transport, CRST, Heartland Express and 3-I. He traveled all over the United States and Canada.
Ed was an avid collector of watch fobs, construction toys, tractors and electric trains. He loved going to truck shows, train shows, toys shows, Bluegrass festivals and reading books. He took great pride in the flowers he planted around their home. His latest unofficial title was mayor of Langworthy, self-appointed of course.
The family would like to thank the staff of Above and Beyond Hospice for their special care and to all his friends for their care, support and prayers.
Death date: March 2, 2013
July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines