July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
Edward (Slim) Charles Simon, age 77, died peacefully from lung cancer on Saturday morning, at his home surrounded by his family.
In honoring Edward’s wishes, no services or visitation will be held at this time. A memorial gathering will be held Sunday, July 28, 2013, at the Eagles Club in Monticello from noon until 4 p.m. Interment will be in the Oakwood Cemetery at a later date. Goettsch Funeral Home, Monticello, is caring for Edward and his family. Thoughts, memories and condolences may be left at www.goettschonline.com. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Cancer Research Foundation or Above and Beyond Hospice.
Those left to cherish his memory are his wife, LaFonda; a son, Douglas (Lisa) Simon, Marion; a daughter, Karen (Terry) Hildebrand, Robins; 4 grandchildren, Kelly and Brent Simon and Cole and Riley Hildebrand; a sister, Norma Zigler, Naperville, Ill.; his mother-in-law, Lovelda Thielen, Sabula; brother-in-law, Wally Lewis, Sparta, WI; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Nancy and Stanley Von Thun, Andover; nieces and nephews, Kathy (Pat) Rossett, Melanie (Mike) Galle, Scott (Tabby) Lewis, Charlotte (Mike) Peters, Steve (Marigrace) Von Thun and Laura Von Thun.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a sister, Phyllis Lewis; and his father-in-law, Otto Thielen.
Edward Charles Simon was born July 28, 1935, at Savanna, Illinois. He was the son of Edward and Mildred Simon. Ed graduated from Savanna High School in 1953. He went on to serve in the United States Army from 1957 until 1960. On September 25, 1960, he was united in marriage to LaFonda Thielen at the Sabula Lutheran Church. Ed operated heavy equipment for Tschiggfrie, Dave Schmitt and Horsefield Construction. He was also an owner-operator of a tractor-trailer for several years, driving for companies such as Warren Transport, CRST, Heartland Express and 3-I. He traveled all over the United States and Canada.
Ed was an avid collector of watch fobs, construction toys, tractors and electric trains. He loved going to truck shows, train shows, toys shows, Bluegrass festivals and reading books. He took great pride in the flowers he planted around their home. His latest unofficial title was mayor of Langworthy, self-appointed of course.
The family would like to thank the staff of Above and Beyond Hospice for their special care and to all his friends for their care, support and prayers.
Death date: March 2, 2013
July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines