July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
Edward (Slim) Charles Simon, age 77, died peacefully from lung cancer on Saturday morning, at his home surrounded by his family.
In honoring Edward’s wishes, no services or visitation will be held at this time. A memorial gathering will be held Sunday, July 28, 2013, at the Eagles Club in Monticello from noon until 4 p.m. Interment will be in the Oakwood Cemetery at a later date. Goettsch Funeral Home, Monticello, is caring for Edward and his family. Thoughts, memories and condolences may be left at www.goettschonline.com. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Cancer Research Foundation or Above and Beyond Hospice.
Those left to cherish his memory are his wife, LaFonda; a son, Douglas (Lisa) Simon, Marion; a daughter, Karen (Terry) Hildebrand, Robins; 4 grandchildren, Kelly and Brent Simon and Cole and Riley Hildebrand; a sister, Norma Zigler, Naperville, Ill.; his mother-in-law, Lovelda Thielen, Sabula; brother-in-law, Wally Lewis, Sparta, WI; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Nancy and Stanley Von Thun, Andover; nieces and nephews, Kathy (Pat) Rossett, Melanie (Mike) Galle, Scott (Tabby) Lewis, Charlotte (Mike) Peters, Steve (Marigrace) Von Thun and Laura Von Thun.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a sister, Phyllis Lewis; and his father-in-law, Otto Thielen.
Edward Charles Simon was born July 28, 1935, at Savanna, Illinois. He was the son of Edward and Mildred Simon. Ed graduated from Savanna High School in 1953. He went on to serve in the United States Army from 1957 until 1960. On September 25, 1960, he was united in marriage to LaFonda Thielen at the Sabula Lutheran Church. Ed operated heavy equipment for Tschiggfrie, Dave Schmitt and Horsefield Construction. He was also an owner-operator of a tractor-trailer for several years, driving for companies such as Warren Transport, CRST, Heartland Express and 3-I. He traveled all over the United States and Canada.
Ed was an avid collector of watch fobs, construction toys, tractors and electric trains. He loved going to truck shows, train shows, toys shows, Bluegrass festivals and reading books. He took great pride in the flowers he planted around their home. His latest unofficial title was mayor of Langworthy, self-appointed of course.
The family would like to thank the staff of Above and Beyond Hospice for their special care and to all his friends for their care, support and prayers.
Death date: March 2, 2013
July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines