July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
Edward (Slim) Charles Simon, age 77, died peacefully from lung cancer on Saturday morning, at his home surrounded by his family.
In honoring Edward’s wishes, no services or visitation will be held at this time. A memorial gathering will be held Sunday, July 28, 2013, at the Eagles Club in Monticello from noon until 4 p.m. Interment will be in the Oakwood Cemetery at a later date. Goettsch Funeral Home, Monticello, is caring for Edward and his family. Thoughts, memories and condolences may be left at www.goettschonline.com. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Cancer Research Foundation or Above and Beyond Hospice.
Those left to cherish his memory are his wife, LaFonda; a son, Douglas (Lisa) Simon, Marion; a daughter, Karen (Terry) Hildebrand, Robins; 4 grandchildren, Kelly and Brent Simon and Cole and Riley Hildebrand; a sister, Norma Zigler, Naperville, Ill.; his mother-in-law, Lovelda Thielen, Sabula; brother-in-law, Wally Lewis, Sparta, WI; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Nancy and Stanley Von Thun, Andover; nieces and nephews, Kathy (Pat) Rossett, Melanie (Mike) Galle, Scott (Tabby) Lewis, Charlotte (Mike) Peters, Steve (Marigrace) Von Thun and Laura Von Thun.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a sister, Phyllis Lewis; and his father-in-law, Otto Thielen.
Edward Charles Simon was born July 28, 1935, at Savanna, Illinois. He was the son of Edward and Mildred Simon. Ed graduated from Savanna High School in 1953. He went on to serve in the United States Army from 1957 until 1960. On September 25, 1960, he was united in marriage to LaFonda Thielen at the Sabula Lutheran Church. Ed operated heavy equipment for Tschiggfrie, Dave Schmitt and Horsefield Construction. He was also an owner-operator of a tractor-trailer for several years, driving for companies such as Warren Transport, CRST, Heartland Express and 3-I. He traveled all over the United States and Canada.
Ed was an avid collector of watch fobs, construction toys, tractors and electric trains. He loved going to truck shows, train shows, toys shows, Bluegrass festivals and reading books. He took great pride in the flowers he planted around their home. His latest unofficial title was mayor of Langworthy, self-appointed of course.
The family would like to thank the staff of Above and Beyond Hospice for their special care and to all his friends for their care, support and prayers.
Death date: March 2, 2013
July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines