June 15, 1909 - March 5, 2013
Viola Christina Giddings, age 103, of Sabula, died Tuesday, March 5, 2013, at Mercy Medical Center, Clinton, Iowa, after living on the family farm over eighty-three years, up until a few days ago. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, March 8, 2013, at the Calvary Lutheran Church, Sabula, with Pastor Robert Krueger officiating. A visitation will be held from noon to 2 p.m. prior to the service at the church. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Viola was born June 15, 1909, the daughter of Henry and Mary (Krabbenhoft) Henrichsen in Miles, Iowa. She attended country schools, rural Sabula. On February 8, 1930, Viola married William A. Giddings in Lyons, Iowa. They celebrated nearly 65 years of marriage. William died January 20, 1995.
Viola farmed with family on the Evergreen Hill Farm, rural Sabula. She was a member of the Calvary Lutheran Church, Church Circle, Miles Garden Club and the Jackson County Historical Society. Viola loved flower gardening and arranging. She also enjoyed embroidery, doing craftwork and word puzzles.
Viola will be dearly missed by her two sons, Dwain “Rusty” Giddings of Miles and William “Willy” (Lola) Giddings of Sabula; one daughter, Mary Ellen Clark of Preston, Iowa; nine grandchildren, fourteen great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandson, Alden; four stepgrandchildren; and three stepgreat-grandchildren.
Viola was preceded in death by her husband, William; three grandsons, Dwain Giddings II, Randy Clark and Daniel Giddings; one granddaughter, Brenda Clark; one son-in-law, Winston Clark; two sisters, Anna Welch and Bessie Culver; and her parents.
Death date: March 5, 2013
June 15, 1909 - March 5, 2013
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines