June 15, 1909 - March 5, 2013
Viola Christina Giddings, age 103, of Sabula, died Tuesday, March 5, 2013, at Mercy Medical Center, Clinton, Iowa, after living on the family farm over eighty-three years, up until a few days ago. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, March 8, 2013, at the Calvary Lutheran Church, Sabula, with Pastor Robert Krueger officiating. A visitation will be held from noon to 2 p.m. prior to the service at the church. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Viola was born June 15, 1909, the daughter of Henry and Mary (Krabbenhoft) Henrichsen in Miles, Iowa. She attended country schools, rural Sabula. On February 8, 1930, Viola married William A. Giddings in Lyons, Iowa. They celebrated nearly 65 years of marriage. William died January 20, 1995.
Viola farmed with family on the Evergreen Hill Farm, rural Sabula. She was a member of the Calvary Lutheran Church, Church Circle, Miles Garden Club and the Jackson County Historical Society. Viola loved flower gardening and arranging. She also enjoyed embroidery, doing craftwork and word puzzles.
Viola will be dearly missed by her two sons, Dwain “Rusty” Giddings of Miles and William “Willy” (Lola) Giddings of Sabula; one daughter, Mary Ellen Clark of Preston, Iowa; nine grandchildren, fourteen great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandson, Alden; four stepgrandchildren; and three stepgreat-grandchildren.
Viola was preceded in death by her husband, William; three grandsons, Dwain Giddings II, Randy Clark and Daniel Giddings; one granddaughter, Brenda Clark; one son-in-law, Winston Clark; two sisters, Anna Welch and Bessie Culver; and her parents.
Death date: March 5, 2013
June 15, 1909 - March 5, 2013
- Helen Louise Kerr DeWitt Helen Louise Kerr Helen Louise Kerr, 77, of DeWitt, died at Clarrisa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Henry F. Arkenberg Clinton Henry F. Arkenberg Henry F. Arkenberg, 75, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens Maquoketa Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens Michael D. "Mike" Stevens, 47, of Maquoketa died Saturday at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Kathleen M. Petras CAMANCHE -- Kathleen M. Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. A celebration of life will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday at Lemke Funeral Homes, south chapel. Death date: March 10, 2014 Kathleen M. Petras
- Geffrey E. Galloway Geffrey E. Galloway March 11, 1950 - March 6, 2014 MECHANICSVILLE -- Geffrey E. Galloway, 63, died March 6, 2014 in his Mechanicsville home. Visitation/open house for Geff will be from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 13 at Fry Funeral Home in Ti
- William Wagner THOMSON, Ill. -- William Wagner, 90, of Thomson, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Thomson. Burial with military rites will take place at Lower York C
- Richard N. Varner Richard N. Varner May 29, 1929 - March 9, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center South Campus. Honoring his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Funeral services will be Thursday,
- James C. Thyne James C. Thyne Feb. 19, 1952 - March 10, 2014 CLINTON -- James C. Thyne, age 62, of Clinton, passed away Monday, March 10, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. A Mass will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, March 15th, at Prince of Peace Par
- Alberta J. Wiebenga MORRISON, Ill. -- Alberta J. Wiebenga, 82, of Morrison, died Monday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home with Ken Renkes, director of Congrega
- Bernice Bartels DELMAR -- Bernice Bartels, 93, of Delmar, died Tuesday at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday at First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at th
- More Obituaries Headlines