May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
Larry A. Bengston, 83, of Clinton, died Saturday, July 28, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center – North Campus, Clinton.
Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, August 2, 2012 at First United Methodist Church. Burial will be in the Pine Grove Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post #28. Serving as pallbearers will be Joshua Bengston, William Clark, Randy Green, Chad Kimmer, Dale Kimmer and Herb Shafer. Visitation will be Wednesday from 4:00 to 8:00pm at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
Larry A. Bengston was born on May 29, 1929 in Farmington, Illinois, the son of Ralph and Eloise (Williams) Bengston. He married Saundra L. Swigert on November 7, 1954 at the Presbyterian Church in Farmington, Illinois.
He graduated in 1947 from Farmington Community High School and attended Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.
He was a veteran of the Korean Conflict and served 18 months in Korea from 1951-1953 with the 712th Transportation Railway Operating Battalion. He was awarded the Korean Service Medal with 4 Bronze Stars, The United Nations Medal, and 2 overseas Bars. He was a lifetime member at large of the VFW and a staunch supporter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
He was employed with the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway from March 1949-December 1960 when it merged with the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. He retired March 31 of 1989 spending his last 21 years of service as Superintendent of Car Shops for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in Clinton, Iowa. He served on the “Wheel, Axle, Bearing and Lubrication Committee” for the Association of American Railroads from 1982 until his retirement.
He enjoyed spending time with his family, fishing, gardening, solving cross-word puzzles, and house boating on the Mississippi River. He also enjoyed watching basketball and football, especially the Green Bay Packers.
He was inducted into the Greater Peoria Sports Hall of Fame in 2005 honoring team members of the undefeated football seasons at Farmington High School in 1945 & 1946.
Larry is survived by his wife: Saundra of Clinton; one son: Douglas (Tammy) Bengston of Elgin, Illinois; two daughters: Janice (Rev. Herb) Shafer of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and Lara (Dale) Kimmer of Clinton; 8 grandchildren: Joshua Bengston, Cassie Bengston, Jennifer Green, Kimberly Clark, Meghan Haas, Chad Kimmer, Allison Kimmer and Mara Kimmer. 7 great-grandchildren; and one sister: Valerie Mette of Elgin, Illinois.
He was preceded in death by his parents, daughter Julie, and sister Suzanne.
Memorials can be made to the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 28, 2012
May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines