May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
Larry A. Bengston, 83, of Clinton, died Saturday, July 28, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center – North Campus, Clinton.
Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, August 2, 2012 at First United Methodist Church. Burial will be in the Pine Grove Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post #28. Serving as pallbearers will be Joshua Bengston, William Clark, Randy Green, Chad Kimmer, Dale Kimmer and Herb Shafer. Visitation will be Wednesday from 4:00 to 8:00pm at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
Larry A. Bengston was born on May 29, 1929 in Farmington, Illinois, the son of Ralph and Eloise (Williams) Bengston. He married Saundra L. Swigert on November 7, 1954 at the Presbyterian Church in Farmington, Illinois.
He graduated in 1947 from Farmington Community High School and attended Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.
He was a veteran of the Korean Conflict and served 18 months in Korea from 1951-1953 with the 712th Transportation Railway Operating Battalion. He was awarded the Korean Service Medal with 4 Bronze Stars, The United Nations Medal, and 2 overseas Bars. He was a lifetime member at large of the VFW and a staunch supporter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
He was employed with the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway from March 1949-December 1960 when it merged with the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. He retired March 31 of 1989 spending his last 21 years of service as Superintendent of Car Shops for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in Clinton, Iowa. He served on the “Wheel, Axle, Bearing and Lubrication Committee” for the Association of American Railroads from 1982 until his retirement.
He enjoyed spending time with his family, fishing, gardening, solving cross-word puzzles, and house boating on the Mississippi River. He also enjoyed watching basketball and football, especially the Green Bay Packers.
He was inducted into the Greater Peoria Sports Hall of Fame in 2005 honoring team members of the undefeated football seasons at Farmington High School in 1945 & 1946.
Larry is survived by his wife: Saundra of Clinton; one son: Douglas (Tammy) Bengston of Elgin, Illinois; two daughters: Janice (Rev. Herb) Shafer of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and Lara (Dale) Kimmer of Clinton; 8 grandchildren: Joshua Bengston, Cassie Bengston, Jennifer Green, Kimberly Clark, Meghan Haas, Chad Kimmer, Allison Kimmer and Mara Kimmer. 7 great-grandchildren; and one sister: Valerie Mette of Elgin, Illinois.
He was preceded in death by his parents, daughter Julie, and sister Suzanne.
Memorials can be made to the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 28, 2012
May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- More Obituaries Headlines