May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
Larry A. Bengston, 83, of Clinton, died Saturday, July 28, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center – North Campus, Clinton.
Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, August 2, 2012 at First United Methodist Church. Burial will be in the Pine Grove Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post #28. Serving as pallbearers will be Joshua Bengston, William Clark, Randy Green, Chad Kimmer, Dale Kimmer and Herb Shafer. Visitation will be Wednesday from 4:00 to 8:00pm at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
Larry A. Bengston was born on May 29, 1929 in Farmington, Illinois, the son of Ralph and Eloise (Williams) Bengston. He married Saundra L. Swigert on November 7, 1954 at the Presbyterian Church in Farmington, Illinois.
He graduated in 1947 from Farmington Community High School and attended Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.
He was a veteran of the Korean Conflict and served 18 months in Korea from 1951-1953 with the 712th Transportation Railway Operating Battalion. He was awarded the Korean Service Medal with 4 Bronze Stars, The United Nations Medal, and 2 overseas Bars. He was a lifetime member at large of the VFW and a staunch supporter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
He was employed with the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway from March 1949-December 1960 when it merged with the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. He retired March 31 of 1989 spending his last 21 years of service as Superintendent of Car Shops for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in Clinton, Iowa. He served on the “Wheel, Axle, Bearing and Lubrication Committee” for the Association of American Railroads from 1982 until his retirement.
He enjoyed spending time with his family, fishing, gardening, solving cross-word puzzles, and house boating on the Mississippi River. He also enjoyed watching basketball and football, especially the Green Bay Packers.
He was inducted into the Greater Peoria Sports Hall of Fame in 2005 honoring team members of the undefeated football seasons at Farmington High School in 1945 & 1946.
Larry is survived by his wife: Saundra of Clinton; one son: Douglas (Tammy) Bengston of Elgin, Illinois; two daughters: Janice (Rev. Herb) Shafer of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and Lara (Dale) Kimmer of Clinton; 8 grandchildren: Joshua Bengston, Cassie Bengston, Jennifer Green, Kimberly Clark, Meghan Haas, Chad Kimmer, Allison Kimmer and Mara Kimmer. 7 great-grandchildren; and one sister: Valerie Mette of Elgin, Illinois.
He was preceded in death by his parents, daughter Julie, and sister Suzanne.
Memorials can be made to the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 28, 2012
May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- Mary Anne Knox Mary Anne Knox May 26, 1928 - Dec. 2, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Anne Knox, 85, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully at the Alverno on December 2, 2013. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 7 at the Greater True Love Baptis
- Dorothy M. Schaver Dorothy M. Schaver Oct. 4, 1927 - Dec. 3, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Dorothy M. Schaver, 86, of Fulton, died Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at her home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, December 7, 2013, at the Trinity Reformed Church i
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines