May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
Larry A. Bengston, 83, of Clinton, died Saturday, July 28, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center – North Campus, Clinton.
Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, August 2, 2012 at First United Methodist Church. Burial will be in the Pine Grove Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post #28. Serving as pallbearers will be Joshua Bengston, William Clark, Randy Green, Chad Kimmer, Dale Kimmer and Herb Shafer. Visitation will be Wednesday from 4:00 to 8:00pm at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
Larry A. Bengston was born on May 29, 1929 in Farmington, Illinois, the son of Ralph and Eloise (Williams) Bengston. He married Saundra L. Swigert on November 7, 1954 at the Presbyterian Church in Farmington, Illinois.
He graduated in 1947 from Farmington Community High School and attended Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.
He was a veteran of the Korean Conflict and served 18 months in Korea from 1951-1953 with the 712th Transportation Railway Operating Battalion. He was awarded the Korean Service Medal with 4 Bronze Stars, The United Nations Medal, and 2 overseas Bars. He was a lifetime member at large of the VFW and a staunch supporter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
He was employed with the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway from March 1949-December 1960 when it merged with the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. He retired March 31 of 1989 spending his last 21 years of service as Superintendent of Car Shops for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in Clinton, Iowa. He served on the “Wheel, Axle, Bearing and Lubrication Committee” for the Association of American Railroads from 1982 until his retirement.
He enjoyed spending time with his family, fishing, gardening, solving cross-word puzzles, and house boating on the Mississippi River. He also enjoyed watching basketball and football, especially the Green Bay Packers.
He was inducted into the Greater Peoria Sports Hall of Fame in 2005 honoring team members of the undefeated football seasons at Farmington High School in 1945 & 1946.
Larry is survived by his wife: Saundra of Clinton; one son: Douglas (Tammy) Bengston of Elgin, Illinois; two daughters: Janice (Rev. Herb) Shafer of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and Lara (Dale) Kimmer of Clinton; 8 grandchildren: Joshua Bengston, Cassie Bengston, Jennifer Green, Kimberly Clark, Meghan Haas, Chad Kimmer, Allison Kimmer and Mara Kimmer. 7 great-grandchildren; and one sister: Valerie Mette of Elgin, Illinois.
He was preceded in death by his parents, daughter Julie, and sister Suzanne.
Memorials can be made to the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 28, 2012
May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines