May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
Larry A. Bengston, 83, of Clinton, died Saturday, July 28, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center – North Campus, Clinton.
Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, August 2, 2012 at First United Methodist Church. Burial will be in the Pine Grove Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post #28. Serving as pallbearers will be Joshua Bengston, William Clark, Randy Green, Chad Kimmer, Dale Kimmer and Herb Shafer. Visitation will be Wednesday from 4:00 to 8:00pm at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
Larry A. Bengston was born on May 29, 1929 in Farmington, Illinois, the son of Ralph and Eloise (Williams) Bengston. He married Saundra L. Swigert on November 7, 1954 at the Presbyterian Church in Farmington, Illinois.
He graduated in 1947 from Farmington Community High School and attended Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.
He was a veteran of the Korean Conflict and served 18 months in Korea from 1951-1953 with the 712th Transportation Railway Operating Battalion. He was awarded the Korean Service Medal with 4 Bronze Stars, The United Nations Medal, and 2 overseas Bars. He was a lifetime member at large of the VFW and a staunch supporter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
He was employed with the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway from March 1949-December 1960 when it merged with the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. He retired March 31 of 1989 spending his last 21 years of service as Superintendent of Car Shops for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in Clinton, Iowa. He served on the “Wheel, Axle, Bearing and Lubrication Committee” for the Association of American Railroads from 1982 until his retirement.
He enjoyed spending time with his family, fishing, gardening, solving cross-word puzzles, and house boating on the Mississippi River. He also enjoyed watching basketball and football, especially the Green Bay Packers.
He was inducted into the Greater Peoria Sports Hall of Fame in 2005 honoring team members of the undefeated football seasons at Farmington High School in 1945 & 1946.
Larry is survived by his wife: Saundra of Clinton; one son: Douglas (Tammy) Bengston of Elgin, Illinois; two daughters: Janice (Rev. Herb) Shafer of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and Lara (Dale) Kimmer of Clinton; 8 grandchildren: Joshua Bengston, Cassie Bengston, Jennifer Green, Kimberly Clark, Meghan Haas, Chad Kimmer, Allison Kimmer and Mara Kimmer. 7 great-grandchildren; and one sister: Valerie Mette of Elgin, Illinois.
He was preceded in death by his parents, daughter Julie, and sister Suzanne.
Memorials can be made to the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 28, 2012
May 29, 1929 - July 28, 2012
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines