Jan. 25, 1931 - July 28, 2012
Floyd M. Peters, 81, died peacefully at his rural Bellevue home on Saturday, July 28, 2012.
Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, July 31, 2012, at St. Peter and Paul’s Catholic Church in Springbrook. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Monday at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa, where a vigil service will be held at 7:00 p.m. Visitation will also be held on Tuesday one hour before the service time at the church. Burial will be in St. John’s Cemetery, Andrew, Iowa.
Floyd Mathias Peters was born on January 25, 1931 to Alfred and Elda (Wagener) Peters in Bellevue, Iowa. He attended country school at Jackson #9 and graduated from St. Joseph (Marquette) High School in Bellevue.
In 1954 he was united in marriage to Lavonne Guyer and together they raised 7 children. Floyd was a life-long farmer, conservationist, and steward of the land, living his conviction of “...leaving things better than you found them.”
Floyd was a community and county leader. He actively supported extension education and the 4-H program, serving on the Jackson County Extension Board and 4-H Youth Committee. He served as a member of the Jackson County Cattlemen’s Association and Jackson County Fair Board for many years. Floyd was also a founding member of both the Eastern Iowa Stockyards and the Andrew-Jackson Demonstration Farm. Floyd and Lavonne were members of St. John’s Catholic Church in Andrew for over 50 years and more recently St. Peter and Paul’s Catholic Church in Springbrook.
Floyd is survived by his wife, Lavonne; daughters, Kathy (Kim) Keuter of Dubuque, Iowa, Karen (Jim) Rohlf of Bennett, Iowa, Kim (Kevin) Enwright of Camanche, Iowa, Kris (Brian) Schoeberl of Lewes, Delaware, and Karol (Gary) Fike of Westmoreland, Kansas; sons, Steve (Sherry) Peters and Charlie (Jenni) Peters, both of rural Bellevue, Iowa; 18 grandchildren and two step grandchildren; & one sister, Lucille Deppe of Maquoketa, Iowa.
Floyd was preceded in death by his parents, brother, Elmer Peters, an infant brother, Glen, a step grandchild, and his brother-in-law, Allan Deppe.
In lieu of flowers, memorials can be made to St. Peter and Paul’s Catholic Church of Springbrook, the Iowa 4-H Foundation, Hope Lodge of Iowa City, or the American Cancer Society.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: July 28, 2012
Jan. 25, 1931 - July 28, 2012
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines