March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
Robert (Bob) Worthington Phinney, age 89, formerly of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, July 25, 2012, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf, Iowa.
Robert was born March 2, 1923, in Council Bluffs, IA, a son of Russell and Lillian Jones Phinney. He joined the Air Force in December 1943 at San Antonio, TX, and began flight school at Lubock Air Force Base. His advanced training for B-26 bomber pilot took place at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana. On his 39th mission he was shot down and taken as a POW to Stalag Luft Ein in Barth, Germany. After the war ended he was flown to southern France and boarded the Queen Mary to return to the U.S.A and was greeted by General Eisenhower. Bob and his Bomb Group were awarded the Croix d'Guerre (Cross of War) by the French government.
Following his discharge from the military he attended and graduated from the University of Iowa where he was president of his Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and also met his wife Jaclyn Fitch, after a wink of the eye across a crowded room. His farewell to her was that same wink just hours before he went home to be with the Lord.
He married Jaclyn on October 1, 1949, in Clinton, Iowa. Bob spent his working career as a salesman for Maytag, Rod Fitch’s Sport Center, and Red Jacket Pump Co. from which he retired after 25 years in 1988. Retirement was spent traveling the world and enjoying the golf and sunshine in Palm Desert, CA, with his family and friends.
Bob is survived by his loving wife of almost 63 years, Jackie Phinney, of Bettendorf; his son, Dr. Richard (Dianne) Phinney of Davenport; daughter, Robin (Cameron) Turner of Blaine, MN; and grandchildren, Elizabeth Jean, Chicago and Andrew Robert, Davenport; a sister-in-law, Marilyn Fitch of Des Moines; and niece and nephew, Karen Fitch, Des Moines and Tom Fitch, Ft. Collins, CO.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Russell and Richard Phinney; and brother-in-law, Robert Fitch..
Private burial will be in Rock Island National Cemetery. Arrangements have been entrusted to Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline.
There will be a memorial gathering of family and friends Saturday, Aug. 4, from 4 to 6 p.m. at The Fountains, 3720 Thunder Ridge Road, Bettendorf, Iowa.
The family would like to thank Hillcrest Home in Geneseo, IL, and Clarissa Cook Hospice in Bettendorf for their compassionate care.
Death date: July 25, 2012
March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines