March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
Robert (Bob) Worthington Phinney, age 89, formerly of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, July 25, 2012, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf, Iowa.
Robert was born March 2, 1923, in Council Bluffs, IA, a son of Russell and Lillian Jones Phinney. He joined the Air Force in December 1943 at San Antonio, TX, and began flight school at Lubock Air Force Base. His advanced training for B-26 bomber pilot took place at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana. On his 39th mission he was shot down and taken as a POW to Stalag Luft Ein in Barth, Germany. After the war ended he was flown to southern France and boarded the Queen Mary to return to the U.S.A and was greeted by General Eisenhower. Bob and his Bomb Group were awarded the Croix d'Guerre (Cross of War) by the French government.
Following his discharge from the military he attended and graduated from the University of Iowa where he was president of his Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and also met his wife Jaclyn Fitch, after a wink of the eye across a crowded room. His farewell to her was that same wink just hours before he went home to be with the Lord.
He married Jaclyn on October 1, 1949, in Clinton, Iowa. Bob spent his working career as a salesman for Maytag, Rod Fitch’s Sport Center, and Red Jacket Pump Co. from which he retired after 25 years in 1988. Retirement was spent traveling the world and enjoying the golf and sunshine in Palm Desert, CA, with his family and friends.
Bob is survived by his loving wife of almost 63 years, Jackie Phinney, of Bettendorf; his son, Dr. Richard (Dianne) Phinney of Davenport; daughter, Robin (Cameron) Turner of Blaine, MN; and grandchildren, Elizabeth Jean, Chicago and Andrew Robert, Davenport; a sister-in-law, Marilyn Fitch of Des Moines; and niece and nephew, Karen Fitch, Des Moines and Tom Fitch, Ft. Collins, CO.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Russell and Richard Phinney; and brother-in-law, Robert Fitch..
Private burial will be in Rock Island National Cemetery. Arrangements have been entrusted to Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline.
There will be a memorial gathering of family and friends Saturday, Aug. 4, from 4 to 6 p.m. at The Fountains, 3720 Thunder Ridge Road, Bettendorf, Iowa.
The family would like to thank Hillcrest Home in Geneseo, IL, and Clarissa Cook Hospice in Bettendorf for their compassionate care.
Death date: July 25, 2012
March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen, age 72 of Belmont, CA formerly of San Francisco, CA died February 28, 2014. Per his wishes he was cremated. A memorial service will be April 4, 2014 and his ashes will be scattered in San Francisco Bay.
Mary Ann "Ma" Finn
Formerly of Fulton, IL, Ann was born in Glasgow, Scotland, & immigrated to America with her family. She worked at A.C. Neilsen Co. & Eagles Grocery Store.
- Wilma Reichling MAQUOKETA -- Wilma Reichling, 90, of Maquoketa, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Clover Ridge in Maquoketa. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Vi
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Clinton Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jackson Rhys Laurion CLINTON -- Jackson Rhys Laurion, infant son of Levi and Jessica Laurion, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation wil
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Patricia Ann Fairbanks