March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
Robert (Bob) Worthington Phinney, age 89, formerly of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, July 25, 2012, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf, Iowa.
Robert was born March 2, 1923, in Council Bluffs, IA, a son of Russell and Lillian Jones Phinney. He joined the Air Force in December 1943 at San Antonio, TX, and began flight school at Lubock Air Force Base. His advanced training for B-26 bomber pilot took place at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana. On his 39th mission he was shot down and taken as a POW to Stalag Luft Ein in Barth, Germany. After the war ended he was flown to southern France and boarded the Queen Mary to return to the U.S.A and was greeted by General Eisenhower. Bob and his Bomb Group were awarded the Croix d'Guerre (Cross of War) by the French government.
Following his discharge from the military he attended and graduated from the University of Iowa where he was president of his Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and also met his wife Jaclyn Fitch, after a wink of the eye across a crowded room. His farewell to her was that same wink just hours before he went home to be with the Lord.
He married Jaclyn on October 1, 1949, in Clinton, Iowa. Bob spent his working career as a salesman for Maytag, Rod Fitch’s Sport Center, and Red Jacket Pump Co. from which he retired after 25 years in 1988. Retirement was spent traveling the world and enjoying the golf and sunshine in Palm Desert, CA, with his family and friends.
Bob is survived by his loving wife of almost 63 years, Jackie Phinney, of Bettendorf; his son, Dr. Richard (Dianne) Phinney of Davenport; daughter, Robin (Cameron) Turner of Blaine, MN; and grandchildren, Elizabeth Jean, Chicago and Andrew Robert, Davenport; a sister-in-law, Marilyn Fitch of Des Moines; and niece and nephew, Karen Fitch, Des Moines and Tom Fitch, Ft. Collins, CO.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Russell and Richard Phinney; and brother-in-law, Robert Fitch..
Private burial will be in Rock Island National Cemetery. Arrangements have been entrusted to Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline.
There will be a memorial gathering of family and friends Saturday, Aug. 4, from 4 to 6 p.m. at The Fountains, 3720 Thunder Ridge Road, Bettendorf, Iowa.
The family would like to thank Hillcrest Home in Geneseo, IL, and Clarissa Cook Hospice in Bettendorf for their compassionate care.
Death date: July 25, 2012
March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- More Obituaries Headlines