March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
Robert (Bob) Worthington Phinney, age 89, formerly of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, July 25, 2012, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf, Iowa.
Robert was born March 2, 1923, in Council Bluffs, IA, a son of Russell and Lillian Jones Phinney. He joined the Air Force in December 1943 at San Antonio, TX, and began flight school at Lubock Air Force Base. His advanced training for B-26 bomber pilot took place at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana. On his 39th mission he was shot down and taken as a POW to Stalag Luft Ein in Barth, Germany. After the war ended he was flown to southern France and boarded the Queen Mary to return to the U.S.A and was greeted by General Eisenhower. Bob and his Bomb Group were awarded the Croix d'Guerre (Cross of War) by the French government.
Following his discharge from the military he attended and graduated from the University of Iowa where he was president of his Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and also met his wife Jaclyn Fitch, after a wink of the eye across a crowded room. His farewell to her was that same wink just hours before he went home to be with the Lord.
He married Jaclyn on October 1, 1949, in Clinton, Iowa. Bob spent his working career as a salesman for Maytag, Rod Fitch’s Sport Center, and Red Jacket Pump Co. from which he retired after 25 years in 1988. Retirement was spent traveling the world and enjoying the golf and sunshine in Palm Desert, CA, with his family and friends.
Bob is survived by his loving wife of almost 63 years, Jackie Phinney, of Bettendorf; his son, Dr. Richard (Dianne) Phinney of Davenport; daughter, Robin (Cameron) Turner of Blaine, MN; and grandchildren, Elizabeth Jean, Chicago and Andrew Robert, Davenport; a sister-in-law, Marilyn Fitch of Des Moines; and niece and nephew, Karen Fitch, Des Moines and Tom Fitch, Ft. Collins, CO.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Russell and Richard Phinney; and brother-in-law, Robert Fitch..
Private burial will be in Rock Island National Cemetery. Arrangements have been entrusted to Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline.
There will be a memorial gathering of family and friends Saturday, Aug. 4, from 4 to 6 p.m. at The Fountains, 3720 Thunder Ridge Road, Bettendorf, Iowa.
The family would like to thank Hillcrest Home in Geneseo, IL, and Clarissa Cook Hospice in Bettendorf for their compassionate care.
Death date: July 25, 2012
March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- Donald Hamstra August 19, 1920- December 6, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. -- Donald Hamstra, 93, Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison, died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison. The funeral will be 2:00 P.M., Monday, December 9
- Leslie "Bud" Chandler August 29th, 1924 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Leslie "Bud" Chandler, 89, of Clinton, Iowa passed away peacefully at Mercy Medical Center - North on Dec. 5, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, December 9th at Lemke Funer
- More Obituaries Headlines