Dec. 9, 1924 - Jan. 9, 2013
Clinton “Bob” Koontz, 88, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at his home.
Public graveside services will be held on Sunday, January 20, 2013, at 1:30 p.m. at Sacred Heart Cemetery in Maquoketa. Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, January 19, 2013, at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa.
Bob Koontz was born on December 9, 1924, in Dayton, Ohio, son of Clinton Koontz Sr. and Sylvia (Varner) Koontz. He married Alma Hinz on April 14, 1947.
Bob was a jack of all trades; he worked for JI Case and Caterpillar, but most of the time he had worked for himself at Koontz Repair. He enjoyed collecting Indian artifacts and was a storyteller. When he was 17, he enlisted into the Army and did not go through basic training. He served in World War II in the European-African mid-eastern theatre. He received a bronze star; he re-enlisted three more times in the Army Reserves and was asked to serve in Korea and declined.
He is survived by four children: Terry (Cindy) Koontz, of Maquoketa; Yvonne (Brent) Port of Marshalltown; Randy (Pattiey) Koontz of Lewis; Renee (Bill) Budde of Maquoketa; 14 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and his favorite grandog, Honey Dog; two sisters, Donna Jean Benedict of Maquoketa; Mary Ann Heneke of Strawberry Point; and two brothers; Jim (Judy) Koontz of Denison; Bill (May) Koontz of Calamus.
He was preceded in death by his parents; wife; one son, Gary; one granddaughter, Jodi Port-Flatt; and five brothers and sisters.
Memorials are preferred.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: Jan. 9, 2013
Dec. 9, 1924 - Jan. 9, 2013
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines