Dec. 9, 1924 - Jan. 9, 2013
Clinton “Bob” Koontz, 88, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at his home.
Public graveside services will be held on Sunday, January 20, 2013, at 1:30 p.m. at Sacred Heart Cemetery in Maquoketa. Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, January 19, 2013, at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa.
Bob Koontz was born on December 9, 1924, in Dayton, Ohio, son of Clinton Koontz Sr. and Sylvia (Varner) Koontz. He married Alma Hinz on April 14, 1947.
Bob was a jack of all trades; he worked for JI Case and Caterpillar, but most of the time he had worked for himself at Koontz Repair. He enjoyed collecting Indian artifacts and was a storyteller. When he was 17, he enlisted into the Army and did not go through basic training. He served in World War II in the European-African mid-eastern theatre. He received a bronze star; he re-enlisted three more times in the Army Reserves and was asked to serve in Korea and declined.
He is survived by four children: Terry (Cindy) Koontz, of Maquoketa; Yvonne (Brent) Port of Marshalltown; Randy (Pattiey) Koontz of Lewis; Renee (Bill) Budde of Maquoketa; 14 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and his favorite grandog, Honey Dog; two sisters, Donna Jean Benedict of Maquoketa; Mary Ann Heneke of Strawberry Point; and two brothers; Jim (Judy) Koontz of Denison; Bill (May) Koontz of Calamus.
He was preceded in death by his parents; wife; one son, Gary; one granddaughter, Jodi Port-Flatt; and five brothers and sisters.
Memorials are preferred.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: Jan. 9, 2013
Dec. 9, 1924 - Jan. 9, 2013
- Justin G. Curtin PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Justin G. Curtin, 30, of Prophetstown, died Monday at home. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Bosma-Gibson Funeral Home
- Martha Belle Rhode SAVANNA, Ill. -- Martha Belle Rhode, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing facility in Savanna. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the United Methodist Church in Savanna, with the Rev. Sejoon Jang officiating. Memorial
- Sheila A. Jones Sheila A. Jones Aug. 4, 1963 - Dec. 11, 2013 CLINTON -- Sheila A. Jones, age 50, of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton. A gathering of family and friends will be held from 12:00 noon until 2:00 p
- Lillyawana Sky Volker IOWA CITY -- Infant Lillyawana Sky Volker passed away with the assured comfort of her loving parents at her side on December 6th, 2013 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. Lillyawana was born November 19th, 2013 in Iowa City, Iowa, the daughter of J
- Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Aug. 11, 1939 - Dec. 10, 2013 CLINTON -- Elizabeth "Betty" E. Grossman, 74, of Clinton, Iowa passed away at the University of Iowa Hospitals on December 10th, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Frid
- Martha Belle Rhoden Savanna, Ill. Martha Belle Rhoden Martha Belle Rhoden, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. Arrangements are pending at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna.
- Donald E. Ludvigsen Donald E. Ludvigsen Dec. 5, 1930 - Dec. 9, 2013 CLINTON -- Donald E. Ludvigsen, age 83, of Clinton, died Monday Dec. 9, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. There will be no visitation or funeral services held; cremation rites have been accorded. The
- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis MILES -- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis, 84, died Monday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Preston. A visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 to 11 a.m. a
- LaVerne A. Reckinger Sr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- LaVerne A. Reckinger, Sr., 86, of Savanna, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna. Burial will take place in Marywood Catholic
- Marian Rose Marian Rose April 7, 1919 - Dec. 9, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Marian Rose, 94, of Fulton, died Monday, December 9, 2013, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, IL. Funeral service is at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma
- More Obituaries Headlines