Aug. 2, 1912 - Jan. 17, 2013
Inez Carlotta Carlson-Miller-Elsbury passed away on Thursday, January 17, 2013, at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton, Iowa, at the age of one- hundred years-five months.
Inez Carlotta Carlson was born August 2, 1912, in a sod house near Wewela, Tripp County, South Dakota. In the early 1900’s her parents, Oscar M. Carlson and Margaret J. Moles Carlson, had homesteaded a quarter section of land in Tripp County. Inez was the third of nine children with five brothers and two sisters. She attended high school in Colome, South Dakota, and was able to obtain a teaching certificate with that education. She taught in numerous one room country schools in both South Dakota and Iowa, following her parents when they moved from their homestead to a small farm north of Maquoketa in Jackson County. She finished her teaching career at Andrew Community Schools retiring in 1977, having taught there for over twenty years.
Inez always believed in and stressed the value of a good education and throughout her teaching career she took night courses to keep her teaching certificate up to date. During summer vacations she enrolled in courses at Mount St. Clare College in Clinton. She finally realized her dream and received her Bachelors of Science degree in education from Upper Iowa University in Fayette in the summer of 1970.
On May 25, 1944, she married Percy Miller, a Sand Prairie farmer (and later an electrician for Stickley Electric), in the living room of her parents’ rural home. Inez is survived by three children born to this union: Joel Miller and his wife, Diane, of Delavan, Wisconsin; Ronald Miller and his wife, Leanna, of Crystal Lake, Illinois; and Penny Royer and her husband, Dwight, of Clinton, Iowa. Her husband, Percy, preceded her in death on February 2, 1970. Inez is also survived by one sister, Margaret Reed of rural Spragueville; seven grandchildren; eleven great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. On September 15, 1979, she married Wallace Elsbury in Maquoketa, Iowa. He preceded her in death in 1997.
Inez was a longtime resident of Clinton having lived for a number of years at Sarah Harding Retirement Home, Bickford Cottage assisted living and finally — Mercy Living Center South. Inez was an avid reader and enjoyed playing cards while at Mercy South. Her family surprised her with many guests (family and friends) at a celebration of her one-hundredth birthday in July of 2012. She was a member of the First Congregational United Church of Christ of Clinton.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Wednesday, January 23, 2013, at the First Congregational Church with visitation from 10 a.m. to the service hour. She will be laid to eternal rest alongside the love of her life, Percy, at the Andrew Cemetery, Andrew, Iowa. Serving as pallbearers will be Todd Royer, Eric Royer, Ryan Royer, Brian Miller, Mark Reed, David Reed and Joshua Flannigan.
Memorials can be made to the First Congregational Church, Clinton. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory is in charge of arrangements.
Death date: Jan. 17, 2013
Aug. 2, 1912 - Jan. 17, 2013
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines