Aug. 2, 1912 - Jan. 17, 2013
Inez Carlotta Carlson-Miller-Elsbury passed away on Thursday, January 17, 2013, at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton, Iowa, at the age of one- hundred years-five months.
Inez Carlotta Carlson was born August 2, 1912, in a sod house near Wewela, Tripp County, South Dakota. In the early 1900’s her parents, Oscar M. Carlson and Margaret J. Moles Carlson, had homesteaded a quarter section of land in Tripp County. Inez was the third of nine children with five brothers and two sisters. She attended high school in Colome, South Dakota, and was able to obtain a teaching certificate with that education. She taught in numerous one room country schools in both South Dakota and Iowa, following her parents when they moved from their homestead to a small farm north of Maquoketa in Jackson County. She finished her teaching career at Andrew Community Schools retiring in 1977, having taught there for over twenty years.
Inez always believed in and stressed the value of a good education and throughout her teaching career she took night courses to keep her teaching certificate up to date. During summer vacations she enrolled in courses at Mount St. Clare College in Clinton. She finally realized her dream and received her Bachelors of Science degree in education from Upper Iowa University in Fayette in the summer of 1970.
On May 25, 1944, she married Percy Miller, a Sand Prairie farmer (and later an electrician for Stickley Electric), in the living room of her parents’ rural home. Inez is survived by three children born to this union: Joel Miller and his wife, Diane, of Delavan, Wisconsin; Ronald Miller and his wife, Leanna, of Crystal Lake, Illinois; and Penny Royer and her husband, Dwight, of Clinton, Iowa. Her husband, Percy, preceded her in death on February 2, 1970. Inez is also survived by one sister, Margaret Reed of rural Spragueville; seven grandchildren; eleven great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. On September 15, 1979, she married Wallace Elsbury in Maquoketa, Iowa. He preceded her in death in 1997.
Inez was a longtime resident of Clinton having lived for a number of years at Sarah Harding Retirement Home, Bickford Cottage assisted living and finally — Mercy Living Center South. Inez was an avid reader and enjoyed playing cards while at Mercy South. Her family surprised her with many guests (family and friends) at a celebration of her one-hundredth birthday in July of 2012. She was a member of the First Congregational United Church of Christ of Clinton.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Wednesday, January 23, 2013, at the First Congregational Church with visitation from 10 a.m. to the service hour. She will be laid to eternal rest alongside the love of her life, Percy, at the Andrew Cemetery, Andrew, Iowa. Serving as pallbearers will be Todd Royer, Eric Royer, Ryan Royer, Brian Miller, Mark Reed, David Reed and Joshua Flannigan.
Memorials can be made to the First Congregational Church, Clinton. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory is in charge of arrangements.
Death date: Jan. 17, 2013
Aug. 2, 1912 - Jan. 17, 2013
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines