Aug. 2, 1912 - Jan. 17, 2013
Inez Carlotta Carlson-Miller-Elsbury passed away on Thursday, January 17, 2013, at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton, Iowa, at the age of one- hundred years-five months.
Inez Carlotta Carlson was born August 2, 1912, in a sod house near Wewela, Tripp County, South Dakota. In the early 1900’s her parents, Oscar M. Carlson and Margaret J. Moles Carlson, had homesteaded a quarter section of land in Tripp County. Inez was the third of nine children with five brothers and two sisters. She attended high school in Colome, South Dakota, and was able to obtain a teaching certificate with that education. She taught in numerous one room country schools in both South Dakota and Iowa, following her parents when they moved from their homestead to a small farm north of Maquoketa in Jackson County. She finished her teaching career at Andrew Community Schools retiring in 1977, having taught there for over twenty years.
Inez always believed in and stressed the value of a good education and throughout her teaching career she took night courses to keep her teaching certificate up to date. During summer vacations she enrolled in courses at Mount St. Clare College in Clinton. She finally realized her dream and received her Bachelors of Science degree in education from Upper Iowa University in Fayette in the summer of 1970.
On May 25, 1944, she married Percy Miller, a Sand Prairie farmer (and later an electrician for Stickley Electric), in the living room of her parents’ rural home. Inez is survived by three children born to this union: Joel Miller and his wife, Diane, of Delavan, Wisconsin; Ronald Miller and his wife, Leanna, of Crystal Lake, Illinois; and Penny Royer and her husband, Dwight, of Clinton, Iowa. Her husband, Percy, preceded her in death on February 2, 1970. Inez is also survived by one sister, Margaret Reed of rural Spragueville; seven grandchildren; eleven great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. On September 15, 1979, she married Wallace Elsbury in Maquoketa, Iowa. He preceded her in death in 1997.
Inez was a longtime resident of Clinton having lived for a number of years at Sarah Harding Retirement Home, Bickford Cottage assisted living and finally — Mercy Living Center South. Inez was an avid reader and enjoyed playing cards while at Mercy South. Her family surprised her with many guests (family and friends) at a celebration of her one-hundredth birthday in July of 2012. She was a member of the First Congregational United Church of Christ of Clinton.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Wednesday, January 23, 2013, at the First Congregational Church with visitation from 10 a.m. to the service hour. She will be laid to eternal rest alongside the love of her life, Percy, at the Andrew Cemetery, Andrew, Iowa. Serving as pallbearers will be Todd Royer, Eric Royer, Ryan Royer, Brian Miller, Mark Reed, David Reed and Joshua Flannigan.
Memorials can be made to the First Congregational Church, Clinton. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory is in charge of arrangements.
Death date: Jan. 17, 2013
Aug. 2, 1912 - Jan. 17, 2013
- Martin Allen Stansbarger ClintonMartin Allen StansbargerMartin Allen Stansbarger died Saturday at birth at Mercy Medical Center North.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- John W. Bousman John W. BousmanOct. 20, 1937 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — John W. Bousman Sr., age 76, of Clinton, died Friday, July 18, 2014, at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, surrounded by his family. They released him from all medical intervention and
- Lola Alice Lange FULTON, Ill. — Lola Alice Lange, 98, of Morrison, Illinois, died Saturday at Resthave Home in Morrison.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home, with the Rev. James Camp officiating. Visitatio
- Charles 'Charlie' L. Sexton Charles ‘Charlie’ L. SextonAug. 17, 1942 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — Charles “Charlie” L. Sexton, 71, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, July 18, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center, Clinton.Funeral Services will be 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Cl
- Marjorie Behne WHEATLAND — Marjorie (Easton) Behne, 86, of Wheatland, died Friday at Wheatland Manor.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. today at Schultz Funeral Home in Grand Mound. A service of Christian burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Christian Free
- Promise Rose Honeywell Promise Rose HoneywellJuly 7, 1977 - July 13, 2014LA CROSSE, Wis. — Promise Rose Honeywell, DC, 37, of La Crosse, Wisconsin, died Sunday, July 13, 2014 at her sister’s home in Blaine, Minnesota.She was born on July 7, 1977, to Robert and Therese (Wal
- Ethan Adam Olsen-McAllister CORTLAND, Ill. — Ethan Adam Olsen-McAllister, newborn son of Kristi and Tracie Olsen-McAllister of Cortland, died Friday at Kishwaukee Hospital in DeKalb.All services will be private.Death date: July 18, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DeWittBrenda AikenBrenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Bernice Viola Sander CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday at home.Memorial services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the Clinton Church of Christ. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery.Death date: July 17, 2014
- Bernice V. Sander ClintonBernice V. SanderBernice V. Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday at home.Services are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines