Oct. 2, 1928 - Jan. 21, 2013
Eugene “Gene” A. Hood, 84, of Clinton, passed away Monday, January 21, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, Davenport, following a brief illness surrounded by his loving family. Funeral services will be held at Pape Funeral Home at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, January 25, 2013, with Pastor Joshua Martyn officiating. Visitation will be Thursday, January 24, 2013, from 4 to 7 p.m. Burial will be at Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Casket bearers will be grandsons, Logan, Connor, Evan Hood and nephews, Bill, Brent, Brian Lamp and Steve Shaff.
Gene was born October 2, 1928, in Clinton to John Francis Hood and Lena A. Berndt Hood. He lived his entire life in Clinton. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1948. Gene was a member of the Clinton High School swim team that won state championships in 1946 and 1947. His relay team achieved All-American status. Gene also excelled as a right half back on the Clinton High football team. He scored the first River King touchdown of the 1947 season and, also, scored the only touchdown in a 7-0 Homecoming victory over Iowa City. He competed the entire season with a broken hand, and managed to help win the state championship.
After graduation, Gene went to work for DuPont Company where he worked for 37 years in a variety of positions. He retired from DuPont as an electrician in 1985. Gene married the love of his life, June L. Lamp, on February 19, l956 in Charlotte, Iowa. They were happily married for 56 years. Gene and June enjoyed traveling with family throughout the United States and Europe. Gene was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Clinton. During his retirement years, he enjoyed fishing and hunting with his son, attending the many events in which his three beloved grandsons participated, and took pleasure in warmer climate vacations to Florida where his daughter resides.
Gene is survived by his wife, June, of Clinton; his son, Mark (Sarah) Hood of Clinton; his daughter, Sherry Hood of Tampa, Florida; 3 grandsons, Logan, Connor, Evan Hood of Clinton; brother, Larry (Karen) Hood of Clinton; sister, LeAnne (Willard) Larsen of Camanche; brother-in-law, William (Carolyn) Lamp of Charlotte; sister-in-law, Linda Lamp of Charlotte; many nieces and nephews; and his cherished cat, Smokey.
He was preceded in death by his parents; three sisters, Mildred, Linda and Jeri; three brothers, Milton, Merle and Jack Hood; and his brother-in-law, LeRoy Lamp.
The family requests that memorials be made to the Relay for Life Team at Trinity Lutheran Church or the charity of their choice.
Online condolences may be left at papefh.com.
Death date: Jan. 21, 2013
Oct. 2, 1928 - Jan. 21, 2013
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines