Oct. 2, 1928 - Jan. 21, 2013
Eugene “Gene” A. Hood, 84, of Clinton, passed away Monday, January 21, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, Davenport, following a brief illness surrounded by his loving family. Funeral services will be held at Pape Funeral Home at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, January 25, 2013, with Pastor Joshua Martyn officiating. Visitation will be Thursday, January 24, 2013, from 4 to 7 p.m. Burial will be at Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Casket bearers will be grandsons, Logan, Connor, Evan Hood and nephews, Bill, Brent, Brian Lamp and Steve Shaff.
Gene was born October 2, 1928, in Clinton to John Francis Hood and Lena A. Berndt Hood. He lived his entire life in Clinton. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1948. Gene was a member of the Clinton High School swim team that won state championships in 1946 and 1947. His relay team achieved All-American status. Gene also excelled as a right half back on the Clinton High football team. He scored the first River King touchdown of the 1947 season and, also, scored the only touchdown in a 7-0 Homecoming victory over Iowa City. He competed the entire season with a broken hand, and managed to help win the state championship.
After graduation, Gene went to work for DuPont Company where he worked for 37 years in a variety of positions. He retired from DuPont as an electrician in 1985. Gene married the love of his life, June L. Lamp, on February 19, l956 in Charlotte, Iowa. They were happily married for 56 years. Gene and June enjoyed traveling with family throughout the United States and Europe. Gene was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Clinton. During his retirement years, he enjoyed fishing and hunting with his son, attending the many events in which his three beloved grandsons participated, and took pleasure in warmer climate vacations to Florida where his daughter resides.
Gene is survived by his wife, June, of Clinton; his son, Mark (Sarah) Hood of Clinton; his daughter, Sherry Hood of Tampa, Florida; 3 grandsons, Logan, Connor, Evan Hood of Clinton; brother, Larry (Karen) Hood of Clinton; sister, LeAnne (Willard) Larsen of Camanche; brother-in-law, William (Carolyn) Lamp of Charlotte; sister-in-law, Linda Lamp of Charlotte; many nieces and nephews; and his cherished cat, Smokey.
He was preceded in death by his parents; three sisters, Mildred, Linda and Jeri; three brothers, Milton, Merle and Jack Hood; and his brother-in-law, LeRoy Lamp.
The family requests that memorials be made to the Relay for Life Team at Trinity Lutheran Church or the charity of their choice.
Online condolences may be left at papefh.com.
Death date: Jan. 21, 2013
Oct. 2, 1928 - Jan. 21, 2013
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines