Oct. 2, 1928 - Jan. 21, 2013
Eugene “Gene” A. Hood, 84, of Clinton, passed away Monday, January 21, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, Davenport, following a brief illness surrounded by his loving family. Funeral services will be held at Pape Funeral Home at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, January 25, 2013, with Pastor Joshua Martyn officiating. Visitation will be Thursday, January 24, 2013, from 4 to 7 p.m. Burial will be at Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Casket bearers will be grandsons, Logan, Connor, Evan Hood and nephews, Bill, Brent, Brian Lamp and Steve Shaff.
Gene was born October 2, 1928, in Clinton to John Francis Hood and Lena A. Berndt Hood. He lived his entire life in Clinton. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1948. Gene was a member of the Clinton High School swim team that won state championships in 1946 and 1947. His relay team achieved All-American status. Gene also excelled as a right half back on the Clinton High football team. He scored the first River King touchdown of the 1947 season and, also, scored the only touchdown in a 7-0 Homecoming victory over Iowa City. He competed the entire season with a broken hand, and managed to help win the state championship.
After graduation, Gene went to work for DuPont Company where he worked for 37 years in a variety of positions. He retired from DuPont as an electrician in 1985. Gene married the love of his life, June L. Lamp, on February 19, l956 in Charlotte, Iowa. They were happily married for 56 years. Gene and June enjoyed traveling with family throughout the United States and Europe. Gene was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Clinton. During his retirement years, he enjoyed fishing and hunting with his son, attending the many events in which his three beloved grandsons participated, and took pleasure in warmer climate vacations to Florida where his daughter resides.
Gene is survived by his wife, June, of Clinton; his son, Mark (Sarah) Hood of Clinton; his daughter, Sherry Hood of Tampa, Florida; 3 grandsons, Logan, Connor, Evan Hood of Clinton; brother, Larry (Karen) Hood of Clinton; sister, LeAnne (Willard) Larsen of Camanche; brother-in-law, William (Carolyn) Lamp of Charlotte; sister-in-law, Linda Lamp of Charlotte; many nieces and nephews; and his cherished cat, Smokey.
He was preceded in death by his parents; three sisters, Mildred, Linda and Jeri; three brothers, Milton, Merle and Jack Hood; and his brother-in-law, LeRoy Lamp.
The family requests that memorials be made to the Relay for Life Team at Trinity Lutheran Church or the charity of their choice.
Online condolences may be left at papefh.com.
Death date: Jan. 21, 2013
Oct. 2, 1928 - Jan. 21, 2013
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines