MOLINE, Ill. —
May 14, 1927 - Feb. 17, 2013
Calvin C. Whitmore, 85, of Moline, Illinois, died Sunday, February 17, 2013, at Illini Restorative Care, in Silvis, IL.
Schroder Mortuary, Silvis, IL, are making arrangements; visitation will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday at Schroder Mortuary in Silvis. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the mortuary. Burial will be in Rock Island Memorial Park Cemetery.
Calvin Clare Whitmore was born May 14, 1927, in Moline, Illinois, the only child of Wilbur C. and Olive Brooks Whitmore. Calvin graduated from Moline High School in 1944, served in the U.S. Army, November 1945 to April 1947. He married Phyllis M. Hazlett on June 26, 1946. He retired in October 1982 from Deere and Company as a technical writer. After retiring, he worked part time for Hertz for over 20 years. Cal enjoyed traveling with his late wife, Phyllis.
Calvin started bowling in 1940 and was secretary of the Tri-City Classic League for 58 years. He served as president of the Moline Bowling Association from 1955 to 1958, president of the Greater Davenport Bowling association in 1981, served on ABC National Board of Directors from 1982 to 2003. He was inducted into seven Bowling Hall of Fames.
Calvin was a member of the Bowling Writers Association of America, and wrote a weekly column for the Moline Dispatch and the Rock Island Argus. Calvin was an active member of the Silvis United Methodist Church and a Methodist lay preacher. He served as lay preacher, when needed, in many churches, for several years.
He is survived by his four children, Steve (Alma) Whitmore Albany, IL; Bruce (Deborah) Whitmore, Port Byron, IL; Barbara (Jerry) Bledsoe, Tucson, AZ; and Kevin (Peggy) Whitmore, Albuquerque, NM; 5 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren.
His parents and, his wife, Phyllis, whom he lost in January preceded him in death. Memorials can be made to the Silvis United Methodist Church.
Online condolences may be made at www.schrodermortuary.com.
Death date: Feb. 17, 2013
MOLINE, Ill. —
May 14, 1927 - Feb. 17, 2013
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines