MOLINE, Ill. —
May 14, 1927 - Feb. 17, 2013
Calvin C. Whitmore, 85, of Moline, Illinois, died Sunday, February 17, 2013, at Illini Restorative Care, in Silvis, IL.
Schroder Mortuary, Silvis, IL, are making arrangements; visitation will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday at Schroder Mortuary in Silvis. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the mortuary. Burial will be in Rock Island Memorial Park Cemetery.
Calvin Clare Whitmore was born May 14, 1927, in Moline, Illinois, the only child of Wilbur C. and Olive Brooks Whitmore. Calvin graduated from Moline High School in 1944, served in the U.S. Army, November 1945 to April 1947. He married Phyllis M. Hazlett on June 26, 1946. He retired in October 1982 from Deere and Company as a technical writer. After retiring, he worked part time for Hertz for over 20 years. Cal enjoyed traveling with his late wife, Phyllis.
Calvin started bowling in 1940 and was secretary of the Tri-City Classic League for 58 years. He served as president of the Moline Bowling Association from 1955 to 1958, president of the Greater Davenport Bowling association in 1981, served on ABC National Board of Directors from 1982 to 2003. He was inducted into seven Bowling Hall of Fames.
Calvin was a member of the Bowling Writers Association of America, and wrote a weekly column for the Moline Dispatch and the Rock Island Argus. Calvin was an active member of the Silvis United Methodist Church and a Methodist lay preacher. He served as lay preacher, when needed, in many churches, for several years.
He is survived by his four children, Steve (Alma) Whitmore Albany, IL; Bruce (Deborah) Whitmore, Port Byron, IL; Barbara (Jerry) Bledsoe, Tucson, AZ; and Kevin (Peggy) Whitmore, Albuquerque, NM; 5 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren.
His parents and, his wife, Phyllis, whom he lost in January preceded him in death. Memorials can be made to the Silvis United Methodist Church.
Online condolences may be made at www.schrodermortuary.com.
Death date: Feb. 17, 2013
MOLINE, Ill. —
May 14, 1927 - Feb. 17, 2013
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- More Obituaries Headlines