MOLINE, Ill. —
May 14, 1927 - Feb. 17, 2013
Calvin C. Whitmore, 85, of Moline, Illinois, died Sunday, February 17, 2013, at Illini Restorative Care, in Silvis, IL.
Schroder Mortuary, Silvis, IL, are making arrangements; visitation will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday at Schroder Mortuary in Silvis. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the mortuary. Burial will be in Rock Island Memorial Park Cemetery.
Calvin Clare Whitmore was born May 14, 1927, in Moline, Illinois, the only child of Wilbur C. and Olive Brooks Whitmore. Calvin graduated from Moline High School in 1944, served in the U.S. Army, November 1945 to April 1947. He married Phyllis M. Hazlett on June 26, 1946. He retired in October 1982 from Deere and Company as a technical writer. After retiring, he worked part time for Hertz for over 20 years. Cal enjoyed traveling with his late wife, Phyllis.
Calvin started bowling in 1940 and was secretary of the Tri-City Classic League for 58 years. He served as president of the Moline Bowling Association from 1955 to 1958, president of the Greater Davenport Bowling association in 1981, served on ABC National Board of Directors from 1982 to 2003. He was inducted into seven Bowling Hall of Fames.
Calvin was a member of the Bowling Writers Association of America, and wrote a weekly column for the Moline Dispatch and the Rock Island Argus. Calvin was an active member of the Silvis United Methodist Church and a Methodist lay preacher. He served as lay preacher, when needed, in many churches, for several years.
He is survived by his four children, Steve (Alma) Whitmore Albany, IL; Bruce (Deborah) Whitmore, Port Byron, IL; Barbara (Jerry) Bledsoe, Tucson, AZ; and Kevin (Peggy) Whitmore, Albuquerque, NM; 5 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren.
His parents and, his wife, Phyllis, whom he lost in January preceded him in death. Memorials can be made to the Silvis United Methodist Church.
Online condolences may be made at www.schrodermortuary.com.
Death date: Feb. 17, 2013
MOLINE, Ill. —
May 14, 1927 - Feb. 17, 2013
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller June 7, 1932 - March 7, 2014 BELLEVUE -- Lavonne "Tooty" Miller, 81, of Bellevue, Iowa, passed away Friday evening, March 7, 2014 at her home in Bellevue. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11:00 a.m., Tuesday morni
- Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Andrew Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Theresa M. Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Wilma J. Owen DEWITT -- Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A service of Christian burial will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Gra
- Jerry Marquez Jr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- Jerry Marquez Jr., 77, died last Wednesday in Savanna. Burial will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Rock Island National Cemetery in Rock Island, Ill. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Sava
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
- More Obituaries Headlines