SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
Patrick James “P.J.” Broderick, 88, of Savanna, died on August 16, 2012, at Big Meadows Nursing Home.
He was born May 6, 1924, on a farm near Morrison, Illinois, to Frank and Maurece Broderick. Surviving are his wife of 63 years, Kathryn; and three children: James (Cheryl) of Gilman, Illinois, Thomas of Peoria, Illinois, and Mary (David) Broderick Krier of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and one grandson, Keith (Becca) Broderick of Moore, Oklahoma. Also surviving are his brother, Gene Broderick of Rock Falls, Illinois; and two sisters, Charlene (Ken) Gilbreath of Houston, Texas, and Dolores (Carl) Nelson of Sterling, Illinois.
P.J. served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1958, he and his family moved to Woodland Township in Carroll County where he engaged in farming activities until 1995. While farming, he began several business ventures, first establishing a residential building company, Broderick Builders, and in 1970, the Thomson Development Corporation. In 1972, he became an investor in the Thomson State Bank, and served as a director for several years. He also owned and operated radio station WACI in Freeport, Illinois, from 1972 to 1982. P.J. was a true entrepreneur, and although he had little formal education, he offered his knowledge, experience, and business insights to those in the community who sought his advice.
P.J. was active in politics, and in 1977, he and several family members attended the inauguration of President Jimmy Carter. In 2009, he was honored by Carroll County Democrats for his lifetime commitment to the Democratic Party. P.J. was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for over 55 years, establishing the Savanna A.A. group, speaking in neighboring communities in Illinois and Iowa, and directly assisting individuals and families struggling with this disease. His generosity to less fortunate people in need of financial and other services was well-known in the community.
In addition to being a member of St. John’s Catholic Church, P.J. worked to make Savanna a better community. He initiated a clean-up of the riverfront area, after which a street was dedicated and named in his family’s honor. He was involved in the creation of Rolling Hills, contributed to the local food bank, and helped preserve the history of Savanna by supporting the Savanna Historical Museum.
Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, August 22, 2012, at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. A funeral Mass will be celebrated 10:30 a.m. Thursday, August 23, 2012, at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church with burial immediately following the service in St. John’s Catholic Cemetery. A memorial has been established for local charities in P.J.’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Death date: Aug. 16, 2012
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen, age 72 of Belmont, CA formerly of San Francisco, CA died February 28, 2014. Per his wishes he was cremated. A memorial service will be April 4, 2014 and his ashes will be scattered in San Francisco Bay.
Mary Ann "Ma" Finn
Formerly of Fulton, IL, Ann was born in Glasgow, Scotland, & immigrated to America with her family. She worked at A.C. Neilsen Co. & Eagles Grocery Store.
- Wilma Reichling MAQUOKETA -- Wilma Reichling, 90, of Maquoketa, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Clover Ridge in Maquoketa. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Vi
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Clinton Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jackson Rhys Laurion CLINTON -- Jackson Rhys Laurion, infant son of Levi and Jessica Laurion, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation wil
- Donald A. Lass Donald A. Lass Jan. 4, 1937 - March 3, 2014 CLINTON -- Donald A. Lass took his Savior's hand and stepped into paradise early Monday morning, March 3, 2014, his father's birthday, after succumbing to long-term effects of Parkinson's disease. Cremation
- Martin 'Marty' Fritz LANARK, Ill. -- Martin "Marty" Fritz, 89, of Lanark, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna, Ill. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the First Brethren Church in Lanark, with Pastor E. C. Lathrop officiating. Military rit
- Richard S. “Dick” Lewandowski, Jr.
- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal OMAHA, Neb. -- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal, 71, of Omaha, died Feb. 13. Memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. March 29 with Captain Allen Otto officiating the service at the Salvation Army Citadel, 219 First Ave., with a luncheon to follow at the
- James L. 'Jamie' Yarolem BALDWIN -- James L. "Jamie" Yarolem, 48, of Baldwin, died Sunday at his mother's home in rural Baldwin. Friends and family may gather in remembrance on Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Cremation has taken p
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen