SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
Patrick James “P.J.” Broderick, 88, of Savanna, died on August 16, 2012, at Big Meadows Nursing Home.
He was born May 6, 1924, on a farm near Morrison, Illinois, to Frank and Maurece Broderick. Surviving are his wife of 63 years, Kathryn; and three children: James (Cheryl) of Gilman, Illinois, Thomas of Peoria, Illinois, and Mary (David) Broderick Krier of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and one grandson, Keith (Becca) Broderick of Moore, Oklahoma. Also surviving are his brother, Gene Broderick of Rock Falls, Illinois; and two sisters, Charlene (Ken) Gilbreath of Houston, Texas, and Dolores (Carl) Nelson of Sterling, Illinois.
P.J. served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1958, he and his family moved to Woodland Township in Carroll County where he engaged in farming activities until 1995. While farming, he began several business ventures, first establishing a residential building company, Broderick Builders, and in 1970, the Thomson Development Corporation. In 1972, he became an investor in the Thomson State Bank, and served as a director for several years. He also owned and operated radio station WACI in Freeport, Illinois, from 1972 to 1982. P.J. was a true entrepreneur, and although he had little formal education, he offered his knowledge, experience, and business insights to those in the community who sought his advice.
P.J. was active in politics, and in 1977, he and several family members attended the inauguration of President Jimmy Carter. In 2009, he was honored by Carroll County Democrats for his lifetime commitment to the Democratic Party. P.J. was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for over 55 years, establishing the Savanna A.A. group, speaking in neighboring communities in Illinois and Iowa, and directly assisting individuals and families struggling with this disease. His generosity to less fortunate people in need of financial and other services was well-known in the community.
In addition to being a member of St. John’s Catholic Church, P.J. worked to make Savanna a better community. He initiated a clean-up of the riverfront area, after which a street was dedicated and named in his family’s honor. He was involved in the creation of Rolling Hills, contributed to the local food bank, and helped preserve the history of Savanna by supporting the Savanna Historical Museum.
Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, August 22, 2012, at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. A funeral Mass will be celebrated 10:30 a.m. Thursday, August 23, 2012, at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church with burial immediately following the service in St. John’s Catholic Cemetery. A memorial has been established for local charities in P.J.’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Death date: Aug. 16, 2012
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- Nellie Douma Morrison, Ill.Nellie DoumaNellie Douma, 97, of Morrison, died Jan. 21 at Morrison Community Hospital.Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Brentley Louis Kemp MAQUOKETA — Brentley Louis Kemp, infant son of Justin and Michelle (Pierson) Kemp, of Maquoketa, died July 10.Private services will be held. Death date: July 10, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DEWITT — Brenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus.
- Bernice Viola Sander Bernice Viola SanderOct. 17, 1913 - July 17, 2014CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday, July 17, 2014 at home after 100 great years and will be missed by all her family.Memorial services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, July 25, 2
- More Obituaries Headlines