SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
Patrick James “P.J.” Broderick, 88, of Savanna, died on August 16, 2012, at Big Meadows Nursing Home.
He was born May 6, 1924, on a farm near Morrison, Illinois, to Frank and Maurece Broderick. Surviving are his wife of 63 years, Kathryn; and three children: James (Cheryl) of Gilman, Illinois, Thomas of Peoria, Illinois, and Mary (David) Broderick Krier of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and one grandson, Keith (Becca) Broderick of Moore, Oklahoma. Also surviving are his brother, Gene Broderick of Rock Falls, Illinois; and two sisters, Charlene (Ken) Gilbreath of Houston, Texas, and Dolores (Carl) Nelson of Sterling, Illinois.
P.J. served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1958, he and his family moved to Woodland Township in Carroll County where he engaged in farming activities until 1995. While farming, he began several business ventures, first establishing a residential building company, Broderick Builders, and in 1970, the Thomson Development Corporation. In 1972, he became an investor in the Thomson State Bank, and served as a director for several years. He also owned and operated radio station WACI in Freeport, Illinois, from 1972 to 1982. P.J. was a true entrepreneur, and although he had little formal education, he offered his knowledge, experience, and business insights to those in the community who sought his advice.
P.J. was active in politics, and in 1977, he and several family members attended the inauguration of President Jimmy Carter. In 2009, he was honored by Carroll County Democrats for his lifetime commitment to the Democratic Party. P.J. was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for over 55 years, establishing the Savanna A.A. group, speaking in neighboring communities in Illinois and Iowa, and directly assisting individuals and families struggling with this disease. His generosity to less fortunate people in need of financial and other services was well-known in the community.
In addition to being a member of St. John’s Catholic Church, P.J. worked to make Savanna a better community. He initiated a clean-up of the riverfront area, after which a street was dedicated and named in his family’s honor. He was involved in the creation of Rolling Hills, contributed to the local food bank, and helped preserve the history of Savanna by supporting the Savanna Historical Museum.
Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, August 22, 2012, at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. A funeral Mass will be celebrated 10:30 a.m. Thursday, August 23, 2012, at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church with burial immediately following the service in St. John’s Catholic Cemetery. A memorial has been established for local charities in P.J.’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Death date: Aug. 16, 2012
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines