SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
Patrick James “P.J.” Broderick, 88, of Savanna, died on August 16, 2012, at Big Meadows Nursing Home.
He was born May 6, 1924, on a farm near Morrison, Illinois, to Frank and Maurece Broderick. Surviving are his wife of 63 years, Kathryn; and three children: James (Cheryl) of Gilman, Illinois, Thomas of Peoria, Illinois, and Mary (David) Broderick Krier of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and one grandson, Keith (Becca) Broderick of Moore, Oklahoma. Also surviving are his brother, Gene Broderick of Rock Falls, Illinois; and two sisters, Charlene (Ken) Gilbreath of Houston, Texas, and Dolores (Carl) Nelson of Sterling, Illinois.
P.J. served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1958, he and his family moved to Woodland Township in Carroll County where he engaged in farming activities until 1995. While farming, he began several business ventures, first establishing a residential building company, Broderick Builders, and in 1970, the Thomson Development Corporation. In 1972, he became an investor in the Thomson State Bank, and served as a director for several years. He also owned and operated radio station WACI in Freeport, Illinois, from 1972 to 1982. P.J. was a true entrepreneur, and although he had little formal education, he offered his knowledge, experience, and business insights to those in the community who sought his advice.
P.J. was active in politics, and in 1977, he and several family members attended the inauguration of President Jimmy Carter. In 2009, he was honored by Carroll County Democrats for his lifetime commitment to the Democratic Party. P.J. was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for over 55 years, establishing the Savanna A.A. group, speaking in neighboring communities in Illinois and Iowa, and directly assisting individuals and families struggling with this disease. His generosity to less fortunate people in need of financial and other services was well-known in the community.
In addition to being a member of St. John’s Catholic Church, P.J. worked to make Savanna a better community. He initiated a clean-up of the riverfront area, after which a street was dedicated and named in his family’s honor. He was involved in the creation of Rolling Hills, contributed to the local food bank, and helped preserve the history of Savanna by supporting the Savanna Historical Museum.
Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, August 22, 2012, at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. A funeral Mass will be celebrated 10:30 a.m. Thursday, August 23, 2012, at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church with burial immediately following the service in St. John’s Catholic Cemetery. A memorial has been established for local charities in P.J.’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Death date: Aug. 16, 2012
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- Mary Anne Knox Mary Anne Knox May 26, 1928 - Dec. 2, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Anne Knox, 85, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully at the Alverno on December 2, 2013. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 7 at the Greater True Love Baptis
- Dorothy M. Schaver Dorothy M. Schaver Oct. 4, 1927 - Dec. 3, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Dorothy M. Schaver, 86, of Fulton, died Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at her home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, December 7, 2013, at the Trinity Reformed Church i
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines