June 22, 1938 - July 4, 2012
James Richard Taplin, age 74, of rural Sabula, Iowa, died on July 4, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton.
A Funeral Service will be held at 10:30 a.m., Monday, July 9, 2012 at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston, Iowa. Burial will take place in the Miles Cemetery, Miles, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 4:00-7:00 p.m., Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston. A memorial fund has been established in Jim’s memory. Online condolences may be shared with the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Jim was born on June 22, 1938, the son of Reno and Margaret (Klemme) Taplin in Clinton. He attended school at the Sterling Corners Country School, Sterling, Iowa. He later graduated from Miles High School with the Class of 1956. He married Ronda Flemming on May 27, 1961 at the Little Brown Church in the Vale, Nashua, Iowa.
After graduation, Jim worked for Dairy Pak in Clinton and then farmed the rest of his life on the family farm in rural Sabula. Farming was his passion and he believed in being a good steward of the land. Jim received a Soil Conservation award for implementing strip-cropping and building ponds to stop soil erosion. Jim was an avid Chicago Cubs and Iowa Hawkeye basketball fan.
He was a member of the board of directors for Miles Elderly Housing and of the Calvary Lutheran Church, Sabula. Most of all, Jim loved spending time with his family and friends.
Jim is survived by his wife, Ronda of rural Sabula; five children, Lori (Dave) Burkholder of Charlotte, Iowa, James A. Taplin of rural Sabula, Brent (Lacinda) Taplin of Marion, Iowa, Beth O’Brien of Bettendorf, Iowa and Chris (Kim) Taplin of Miles, Iowa; nine grandchildren; two step grandchildren; two sisters, Elaine (Larry) Mommsen of Bryant, Iowa and Mary (Dennis Burken) Corlis of Wilton, Wisconsin; and one brother, Keith (Jean) Coffman of South English, Iowa.
Jim was preceded in death by his parents and one half sister, Donna Hines of Mason City, Iowa.
Death date: July 4, 2012
June 22, 1938 - July 4, 2012
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines