June 22, 1938 - July 4, 2012
James Richard Taplin, age 74, of rural Sabula, Iowa, died on July 4, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton.
A Funeral Service will be held at 10:30 a.m., Monday, July 9, 2012 at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston, Iowa. Burial will take place in the Miles Cemetery, Miles, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 4:00-7:00 p.m., Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston. A memorial fund has been established in Jim’s memory. Online condolences may be shared with the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Jim was born on June 22, 1938, the son of Reno and Margaret (Klemme) Taplin in Clinton. He attended school at the Sterling Corners Country School, Sterling, Iowa. He later graduated from Miles High School with the Class of 1956. He married Ronda Flemming on May 27, 1961 at the Little Brown Church in the Vale, Nashua, Iowa.
After graduation, Jim worked for Dairy Pak in Clinton and then farmed the rest of his life on the family farm in rural Sabula. Farming was his passion and he believed in being a good steward of the land. Jim received a Soil Conservation award for implementing strip-cropping and building ponds to stop soil erosion. Jim was an avid Chicago Cubs and Iowa Hawkeye basketball fan.
He was a member of the board of directors for Miles Elderly Housing and of the Calvary Lutheran Church, Sabula. Most of all, Jim loved spending time with his family and friends.
Jim is survived by his wife, Ronda of rural Sabula; five children, Lori (Dave) Burkholder of Charlotte, Iowa, James A. Taplin of rural Sabula, Brent (Lacinda) Taplin of Marion, Iowa, Beth O’Brien of Bettendorf, Iowa and Chris (Kim) Taplin of Miles, Iowa; nine grandchildren; two step grandchildren; two sisters, Elaine (Larry) Mommsen of Bryant, Iowa and Mary (Dennis Burken) Corlis of Wilton, Wisconsin; and one brother, Keith (Jean) Coffman of South English, Iowa.
Jim was preceded in death by his parents and one half sister, Donna Hines of Mason City, Iowa.
Death date: July 4, 2012
June 22, 1938 - July 4, 2012
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines