June 22, 1938 - July 4, 2012
James Richard Taplin, age 74, of rural Sabula, Iowa, died on July 4, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton.
A Funeral Service will be held at 10:30 a.m., Monday, July 9, 2012 at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston, Iowa. Burial will take place in the Miles Cemetery, Miles, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 4:00-7:00 p.m., Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston. A memorial fund has been established in Jim’s memory. Online condolences may be shared with the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Jim was born on June 22, 1938, the son of Reno and Margaret (Klemme) Taplin in Clinton. He attended school at the Sterling Corners Country School, Sterling, Iowa. He later graduated from Miles High School with the Class of 1956. He married Ronda Flemming on May 27, 1961 at the Little Brown Church in the Vale, Nashua, Iowa.
After graduation, Jim worked for Dairy Pak in Clinton and then farmed the rest of his life on the family farm in rural Sabula. Farming was his passion and he believed in being a good steward of the land. Jim received a Soil Conservation award for implementing strip-cropping and building ponds to stop soil erosion. Jim was an avid Chicago Cubs and Iowa Hawkeye basketball fan.
He was a member of the board of directors for Miles Elderly Housing and of the Calvary Lutheran Church, Sabula. Most of all, Jim loved spending time with his family and friends.
Jim is survived by his wife, Ronda of rural Sabula; five children, Lori (Dave) Burkholder of Charlotte, Iowa, James A. Taplin of rural Sabula, Brent (Lacinda) Taplin of Marion, Iowa, Beth O’Brien of Bettendorf, Iowa and Chris (Kim) Taplin of Miles, Iowa; nine grandchildren; two step grandchildren; two sisters, Elaine (Larry) Mommsen of Bryant, Iowa and Mary (Dennis Burken) Corlis of Wilton, Wisconsin; and one brother, Keith (Jean) Coffman of South English, Iowa.
Jim was preceded in death by his parents and one half sister, Donna Hines of Mason City, Iowa.
Death date: July 4, 2012
June 22, 1938 - July 4, 2012
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines