LANARK, Ill. —
April 25, 1939 - Feb. 27, 2013
Garla Mae Nelson, age 73, of Lanark, Illinois passed away Wednesday, February 27, 2013 peacefully at home with her family at her side.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m., Monday, March 4, 2013 at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in Freeport, with a one hour visitation at the church prior to Mass. On Sunday, March 3, 2013 from 2:00-6:00 p.m. a visitation will be held at the Law-Jones Funeral Home, Savanna with a Rosary Service at 6:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Nelson Brothers Memorial Scholarship at Northeast High School, Goose Lake, IA, the Tourette Syndrome Association or the charity of your choice. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Garla was born April 25, 1939 in Davenport, IA the daughter of Raymond J. and Helen Winfred (Hughes) Smith. She graduated from St. Joseph Catholic High School, DeWitt, IA with the Class of 1957. On June 16, 1973, Garla married Robert Nelson in DeWitt.
Garla worked for the Iowa State Bank in Clinton, IA. for eighteen years as Head Cashier and Vice President. She then enjoyed several years as a stay-at-home Mom while raising her children. After moving to St. Anthony, IA, Garla was a member, and worked for the Sacred Heart Catholic Church as a Secretary for fifteen years.
The Family later moved to Polo, IL where Garla was a member, and worked for St. Mary’s Catholic Church as Parish Secretary, Director of Religious Education and the Choir Director. The family then moved on to Lanark and became members of the St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church.
Garla will be dearly missed by her husband, Robert of Lanark, a son, Robert Raymond Nelson of Lanark; three daughters, Michelle “Shelly” Nelson of Sycamore; Barbara Jo Nelson of Lanark and Keri Ann Nelson of Sycamore; a sister in-law, Carolyn Lee of Goose Lake, IA; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Garla was preceded in death by her parents, four brothers, Raymond, J.L., Donald and Jack Smith.
Death date: Feb. 27, 2013
LANARK, Ill. —
April 25, 1939 - Feb. 27, 2013
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- More Obituaries Headlines