LANARK, Ill. —
April 25, 1939 - Feb. 27, 2013
Garla Mae Nelson, age 73, of Lanark, Illinois passed away Wednesday, February 27, 2013 peacefully at home with her family at her side.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m., Monday, March 4, 2013 at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in Freeport, with a one hour visitation at the church prior to Mass. On Sunday, March 3, 2013 from 2:00-6:00 p.m. a visitation will be held at the Law-Jones Funeral Home, Savanna with a Rosary Service at 6:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Nelson Brothers Memorial Scholarship at Northeast High School, Goose Lake, IA, the Tourette Syndrome Association or the charity of your choice. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Garla was born April 25, 1939 in Davenport, IA the daughter of Raymond J. and Helen Winfred (Hughes) Smith. She graduated from St. Joseph Catholic High School, DeWitt, IA with the Class of 1957. On June 16, 1973, Garla married Robert Nelson in DeWitt.
Garla worked for the Iowa State Bank in Clinton, IA. for eighteen years as Head Cashier and Vice President. She then enjoyed several years as a stay-at-home Mom while raising her children. After moving to St. Anthony, IA, Garla was a member, and worked for the Sacred Heart Catholic Church as a Secretary for fifteen years.
The Family later moved to Polo, IL where Garla was a member, and worked for St. Mary’s Catholic Church as Parish Secretary, Director of Religious Education and the Choir Director. The family then moved on to Lanark and became members of the St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church.
Garla will be dearly missed by her husband, Robert of Lanark, a son, Robert Raymond Nelson of Lanark; three daughters, Michelle “Shelly” Nelson of Sycamore; Barbara Jo Nelson of Lanark and Keri Ann Nelson of Sycamore; a sister in-law, Carolyn Lee of Goose Lake, IA; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Garla was preceded in death by her parents, four brothers, Raymond, J.L., Donald and Jack Smith.
Death date: Feb. 27, 2013
LANARK, Ill. —
April 25, 1939 - Feb. 27, 2013
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Robert J. Wolf Sr. Robert J. Wolf Sr. Sept. 26, 1935 - April 13, 2014 ELDRIDGE -- Funeral services and Mass of Christian Burial for Robert J. Wolf, Sr., 78, a resident of Eldridge, Iowa will be 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at Our Lady of the River Catholic Chur
- Sarena Dickey Weyeneth Sarena Dickey Weyeneth Jan. 13, 1923 - April 9, 2014 ROANOKE, Ill. -- Sarena Dickey Weyeneth, 91, formerly of Roanoke, Illinois, died peacefully in her sleep at the Robin Johnson Hospice House in Dallas, North Carolina at 9:29p.m. on Wednesday, April
- Dolores Mae Struve Dolores Mae Struve May 1, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Dolores Mae Struve, age 82, of Clinton, died Saturday Apr. 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, Apr. 16th, at St. Joh
- Virginia M. A. Petersen Virginia M. A. Petersen Oct. 27, 1910 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Virginia M. A. Petersen, 103, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the Alverno. Graveside Services will be 1:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- More Obituaries Headlines