LANARK, Ill. —
April 25, 1939 - Feb. 27, 2013
Garla Mae Nelson, age 73, of Lanark, Illinois passed away Wednesday, February 27, 2013 peacefully at home with her family at her side.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m., Monday, March 4, 2013 at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in Freeport, with a one hour visitation at the church prior to Mass. On Sunday, March 3, 2013 from 2:00-6:00 p.m. a visitation will be held at the Law-Jones Funeral Home, Savanna with a Rosary Service at 6:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Nelson Brothers Memorial Scholarship at Northeast High School, Goose Lake, IA, the Tourette Syndrome Association or the charity of your choice. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Garla was born April 25, 1939 in Davenport, IA the daughter of Raymond J. and Helen Winfred (Hughes) Smith. She graduated from St. Joseph Catholic High School, DeWitt, IA with the Class of 1957. On June 16, 1973, Garla married Robert Nelson in DeWitt.
Garla worked for the Iowa State Bank in Clinton, IA. for eighteen years as Head Cashier and Vice President. She then enjoyed several years as a stay-at-home Mom while raising her children. After moving to St. Anthony, IA, Garla was a member, and worked for the Sacred Heart Catholic Church as a Secretary for fifteen years.
The Family later moved to Polo, IL where Garla was a member, and worked for St. Mary’s Catholic Church as Parish Secretary, Director of Religious Education and the Choir Director. The family then moved on to Lanark and became members of the St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church.
Garla will be dearly missed by her husband, Robert of Lanark, a son, Robert Raymond Nelson of Lanark; three daughters, Michelle “Shelly” Nelson of Sycamore; Barbara Jo Nelson of Lanark and Keri Ann Nelson of Sycamore; a sister in-law, Carolyn Lee of Goose Lake, IA; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Garla was preceded in death by her parents, four brothers, Raymond, J.L., Donald and Jack Smith.
Death date: Feb. 27, 2013
LANARK, Ill. —
April 25, 1939 - Feb. 27, 2013
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- Nellie Douma Morrison, Ill.Nellie DoumaNellie Douma, 97, of Morrison, died Jan. 21 at Morrison Community Hospital.Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Brentley Louis Kemp MAQUOKETA — Brentley Louis Kemp, infant son of Justin and Michelle (Pierson) Kemp, of Maquoketa, died July 10.Private services will be held. Death date: July 10, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DEWITT — Brenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus.
- Bernice Viola Sander Bernice Viola SanderOct. 17, 1913 - July 17, 2014CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday, July 17, 2014 at home after 100 great years and will be missed by all her family.Memorial services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, July 25, 2
- Martin Allen Stansbarger ClintonMartin Allen StansbargerMartin Allen Stansbarger died Saturday at birth at Mercy Medical Center North.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- John W. Bousman John W. BousmanOct. 20, 1937 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — John W. Bousman Sr., age 76, of Clinton, died Friday, July 18, 2014, at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, surrounded by his family. They released him from all medical intervention and
- Lola Alice Lange FULTON, Ill. — Lola Alice Lange, 98, of Morrison, Illinois, died Saturday at Resthave Home in Morrison.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home, with the Rev. James Camp officiating. Visitatio
- Charles 'Charlie' L. Sexton Charles ‘Charlie’ L. SextonAug. 17, 1942 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — Charles “Charlie” L. Sexton, 71, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, July 18, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center, Clinton.Funeral Services will be 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Cl
- Marjorie Behne WHEATLAND — Marjorie (Easton) Behne, 86, of Wheatland, died Friday at Wheatland Manor.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. today at Schultz Funeral Home in Grand Mound. A service of Christian burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Christian Free
- More Obituaries Headlines