Nov. 8, 1955 - March 22, 2013
Gerald “Jerry” Matthew Hartung, age 57, of Preston, Iowa, died March 22, 2013, after a courageous battle with cancer at his home surrounded by his family.
A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston. Burial will take place in St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Preston. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 26, 2013, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston, with a Scripture wake service held at 7:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been established in Jerry’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Jerry was born on November 8, 1955, the son of Joseph and Bernadine (Michel) Hartung in Clinton, Iowa. He attended Preston High School and graduated with the class of 1973. He married Susan Ames-Hornung on August 11, 1995.
Jerry farmed locally with his parents and his brother, Patrick. He also co-owned Hartung Feed and Grain since 2003 with his wife, Sue. He was a longtime member St. Joseph Catholic Church where he was active in the Knights of Columbus. Farming was in his soul and Jerry especially enjoyed custom chopping. Jerry enjoyed being outdoors, four-wheeling, riding his motorcycle and driving his blue Plymouth Duster. Jerry enjoyed playing basketball and baseball with his five children. Jerry enjoyed watching sports on television and attending his children’s sporting events and music concerts. He treasured spending time with his family and loved family vacations, especially trips to waterparks. Jerry was a hard working man and a good friend. He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.
Jerry will be dearly missed by his wife, Susan; one son, Michael; one daughter, Sara, three stepchildren, Lisa Hornung of Bettendorf, Iowa, Brian (Lydia) Hornung of Des Moines, Iowa, and Robbie (Vanessa) Hornung of Ankeny, Iowa; one grandson, Gabriel Hornung; one grandson on the way; his mother, Bernadine of Springbrook, Iowa; three brothers, Patrick (Rhonda) Hartung of Preston, Jeff (Kim) Hartung of Clinton, Iowa, and Philip Hartung of Iowa City, Iowa; five sisters, Kay (Larry) McGlamory of Houston, Texas, Sue (fiancé Bob Koons) Hartung of Goose Lake, Iowa, Jeanette (Dennis) Schroeder of Bellevue, Iowa, Jackie (Al) Tibbs of Alden, Iowa, and Paula (Larry) Ticknor of Waterloo, Iowa; in-laws, Francis (Patricia) Ames of East Dubuque, Illinois; two brothers-in-law, John (Gerri) Ames of Dallas, Texas, and Gary (Kathy) Ames of McDonough, Georgia; two sisters-in-law, Lynn Ames of East Dubuque and Laura (Kurt) Mechelke of Kirkwood, Missouri; and several nieces and nephews.
Jerry was preceded in death by his father, grandparents and a brother in infancy.
Death date: March 22, 2013
Nov. 8, 1955 - March 22, 2013
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- Donald Hamstra August 19, 1920- December 6, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. -- Donald Hamstra, 93, Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison, died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison. The funeral will be 2:00 P.M., Monday, December 9
- Leslie "Bud" Chandler August 29th, 1924 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Leslie "Bud" Chandler, 89, of Clinton, Iowa passed away peacefully at Mercy Medical Center - North on Dec. 5, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, December 9th at Lemke Funer
- More Obituaries Headlines