Nov. 8, 1955 - March 22, 2013
Gerald “Jerry” Matthew Hartung, age 57, of Preston, Iowa, died March 22, 2013, after a courageous battle with cancer at his home surrounded by his family.
A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston. Burial will take place in St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Preston. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 26, 2013, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston, with a Scripture wake service held at 7:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been established in Jerry’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Jerry was born on November 8, 1955, the son of Joseph and Bernadine (Michel) Hartung in Clinton, Iowa. He attended Preston High School and graduated with the class of 1973. He married Susan Ames-Hornung on August 11, 1995.
Jerry farmed locally with his parents and his brother, Patrick. He also co-owned Hartung Feed and Grain since 2003 with his wife, Sue. He was a longtime member St. Joseph Catholic Church where he was active in the Knights of Columbus. Farming was in his soul and Jerry especially enjoyed custom chopping. Jerry enjoyed being outdoors, four-wheeling, riding his motorcycle and driving his blue Plymouth Duster. Jerry enjoyed playing basketball and baseball with his five children. Jerry enjoyed watching sports on television and attending his children’s sporting events and music concerts. He treasured spending time with his family and loved family vacations, especially trips to waterparks. Jerry was a hard working man and a good friend. He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.
Jerry will be dearly missed by his wife, Susan; one son, Michael; one daughter, Sara, three stepchildren, Lisa Hornung of Bettendorf, Iowa, Brian (Lydia) Hornung of Des Moines, Iowa, and Robbie (Vanessa) Hornung of Ankeny, Iowa; one grandson, Gabriel Hornung; one grandson on the way; his mother, Bernadine of Springbrook, Iowa; three brothers, Patrick (Rhonda) Hartung of Preston, Jeff (Kim) Hartung of Clinton, Iowa, and Philip Hartung of Iowa City, Iowa; five sisters, Kay (Larry) McGlamory of Houston, Texas, Sue (fiancé Bob Koons) Hartung of Goose Lake, Iowa, Jeanette (Dennis) Schroeder of Bellevue, Iowa, Jackie (Al) Tibbs of Alden, Iowa, and Paula (Larry) Ticknor of Waterloo, Iowa; in-laws, Francis (Patricia) Ames of East Dubuque, Illinois; two brothers-in-law, John (Gerri) Ames of Dallas, Texas, and Gary (Kathy) Ames of McDonough, Georgia; two sisters-in-law, Lynn Ames of East Dubuque and Laura (Kurt) Mechelke of Kirkwood, Missouri; and several nieces and nephews.
Jerry was preceded in death by his father, grandparents and a brother in infancy.
Death date: March 22, 2013
Nov. 8, 1955 - March 22, 2013
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- James C. Thyne Clinton James C. Thyne James C. Thyne, 62, of Clinton, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Pamela J. Harlock Pamela J. Harlock Aug. 16, 1951 - March 6, 2014 CLINTON -- Pamela J. Harlock, age 63, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, TX. Funeral services will be held Friday at 10:30 a.m. March 14th at the Pape Funeral Home
- Gary M. Ferris FULTON, Ill. -- Gary M. Ferris, 67, of Fulton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. There will be no visitation or funeral services. Cremation rites have been accorded. Death date: March 9, 2014 Gary M. Ferris
- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson ANDREW -- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at her home, from injuries sustained in a house fire. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation
- Catherine Petras Camanche Catherine Petras Catherine Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines