Nov. 8, 1955 - March 22, 2013
Gerald “Jerry” Matthew Hartung, age 57, of Preston, Iowa, died March 22, 2013, after a courageous battle with cancer at his home surrounded by his family.
A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston. Burial will take place in St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Preston. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 26, 2013, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston, with a Scripture wake service held at 7:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been established in Jerry’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Jerry was born on November 8, 1955, the son of Joseph and Bernadine (Michel) Hartung in Clinton, Iowa. He attended Preston High School and graduated with the class of 1973. He married Susan Ames-Hornung on August 11, 1995.
Jerry farmed locally with his parents and his brother, Patrick. He also co-owned Hartung Feed and Grain since 2003 with his wife, Sue. He was a longtime member St. Joseph Catholic Church where he was active in the Knights of Columbus. Farming was in his soul and Jerry especially enjoyed custom chopping. Jerry enjoyed being outdoors, four-wheeling, riding his motorcycle and driving his blue Plymouth Duster. Jerry enjoyed playing basketball and baseball with his five children. Jerry enjoyed watching sports on television and attending his children’s sporting events and music concerts. He treasured spending time with his family and loved family vacations, especially trips to waterparks. Jerry was a hard working man and a good friend. He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.
Jerry will be dearly missed by his wife, Susan; one son, Michael; one daughter, Sara, three stepchildren, Lisa Hornung of Bettendorf, Iowa, Brian (Lydia) Hornung of Des Moines, Iowa, and Robbie (Vanessa) Hornung of Ankeny, Iowa; one grandson, Gabriel Hornung; one grandson on the way; his mother, Bernadine of Springbrook, Iowa; three brothers, Patrick (Rhonda) Hartung of Preston, Jeff (Kim) Hartung of Clinton, Iowa, and Philip Hartung of Iowa City, Iowa; five sisters, Kay (Larry) McGlamory of Houston, Texas, Sue (fiancé Bob Koons) Hartung of Goose Lake, Iowa, Jeanette (Dennis) Schroeder of Bellevue, Iowa, Jackie (Al) Tibbs of Alden, Iowa, and Paula (Larry) Ticknor of Waterloo, Iowa; in-laws, Francis (Patricia) Ames of East Dubuque, Illinois; two brothers-in-law, John (Gerri) Ames of Dallas, Texas, and Gary (Kathy) Ames of McDonough, Georgia; two sisters-in-law, Lynn Ames of East Dubuque and Laura (Kurt) Mechelke of Kirkwood, Missouri; and several nieces and nephews.
Jerry was preceded in death by his father, grandparents and a brother in infancy.
Death date: March 22, 2013
Nov. 8, 1955 - March 22, 2013
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines