Nov. 8, 1955 - March 22, 2013
Gerald “Jerry” Matthew Hartung, age 57, of Preston, Iowa, died March 22, 2013, after a courageous battle with cancer at his home surrounded by his family.
A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston. Burial will take place in St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Preston. A visitation will be held from 3 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 26, 2013, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston, with a Scripture wake service held at 7:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been established in Jerry’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Jerry was born on November 8, 1955, the son of Joseph and Bernadine (Michel) Hartung in Clinton, Iowa. He attended Preston High School and graduated with the class of 1973. He married Susan Ames-Hornung on August 11, 1995.
Jerry farmed locally with his parents and his brother, Patrick. He also co-owned Hartung Feed and Grain since 2003 with his wife, Sue. He was a longtime member St. Joseph Catholic Church where he was active in the Knights of Columbus. Farming was in his soul and Jerry especially enjoyed custom chopping. Jerry enjoyed being outdoors, four-wheeling, riding his motorcycle and driving his blue Plymouth Duster. Jerry enjoyed playing basketball and baseball with his five children. Jerry enjoyed watching sports on television and attending his children’s sporting events and music concerts. He treasured spending time with his family and loved family vacations, especially trips to waterparks. Jerry was a hard working man and a good friend. He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.
Jerry will be dearly missed by his wife, Susan; one son, Michael; one daughter, Sara, three stepchildren, Lisa Hornung of Bettendorf, Iowa, Brian (Lydia) Hornung of Des Moines, Iowa, and Robbie (Vanessa) Hornung of Ankeny, Iowa; one grandson, Gabriel Hornung; one grandson on the way; his mother, Bernadine of Springbrook, Iowa; three brothers, Patrick (Rhonda) Hartung of Preston, Jeff (Kim) Hartung of Clinton, Iowa, and Philip Hartung of Iowa City, Iowa; five sisters, Kay (Larry) McGlamory of Houston, Texas, Sue (fiancé Bob Koons) Hartung of Goose Lake, Iowa, Jeanette (Dennis) Schroeder of Bellevue, Iowa, Jackie (Al) Tibbs of Alden, Iowa, and Paula (Larry) Ticknor of Waterloo, Iowa; in-laws, Francis (Patricia) Ames of East Dubuque, Illinois; two brothers-in-law, John (Gerri) Ames of Dallas, Texas, and Gary (Kathy) Ames of McDonough, Georgia; two sisters-in-law, Lynn Ames of East Dubuque and Laura (Kurt) Mechelke of Kirkwood, Missouri; and several nieces and nephews.
Jerry was preceded in death by his father, grandparents and a brother in infancy.
Death date: March 22, 2013
Nov. 8, 1955 - March 22, 2013
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines