SENECA, S.C. —
September 30, 1940 - April 26, 2013
Gene Leroy Fehler, age 72, passed away in Seneca, SC on Friday, April 26, 2013, after a sudden, month-long fight with cancer.
Born September 30, 1940 in Savanna, IL, to Hazel and Franklin Fehler, Gene grew up in Thomson, IL where he attended York Community
High School (1958); he graduated from Northern Illinois University in 1962 with a degree in English and a Masters degree in 1968. He met his beloved Polly Eggert in Hebron, IL, and married her in 1964.
He taught English and creative writing for 28 years in high school and college, living in Grayslake, Hebron, and Malta, IL, Montgomery, AL, Austin, TX, Watkinsville, GA, and Seneca, SC. After retiring from full-time teaching, he wrote (no more grading papers!) and worked as a poet/ writer-in-residence in AL, TX, NC, GA, and SC, conducting writing workshops in schools.
Gene was a quiet, keen observer of daily life, with a pas- sion for baseball and a subtle sense of humor. His smalltown childhood on the banks of the Mississippi animated much of his writing, and a great deal of his poetry, short stories, novels, and non-fiction revolves around baseball. He savored the experiences and observations of everything from the commonplace to the profound; the family is fortunate that he wrote so much of this down, a great deal of it published and much still to be published. He loved, doted on, and played endlessly with his family, especially his granddaughters.
He loved to play tennis, basketball, golf, softball, and baseball. He played mostly outfield and shortstop on the Lake Keowee Senior Softball team, going 4-5 in his last game four weeks ago, just after the cancer was discovered. He played on an over-28 baseball team with his son Tim for the past six years, where he played first base and pitcher, with his 45-mph with Tim catching his 45-mph roundhouse curve, befuddling batters (he was proud of his 118-year-old battery combination against the youngsters).
Gene was inducted into the Northwest Illinois Sports Hall of Fame in 1993.
With brevity a virtue for him, he is no doubt looking down and shaking his head at this obituary.
Gene and Polly are active members of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Seneca.
Gene is survived by his mother, Hazel of Havana, IL; wife of 48 years, Polly of Seneca, SC and two sons, Tim and wife Jacquelyn of Greenville, SC and Andrew and wife Kellie of Austin, TX; three grandchildren: Mireille and Gabrielle of Greenville, SC and Kaya (with her soon-to-be-born brother) of Austin, TX; two sisters: Rita Badger and husband David of Havana, IL and Rhonda Cunningham and husband Dan of St. Charles, MO; and 22 nieces and nephews. Gene was preceded in death by his father Franklin, and sister Janice Bradley.
A memorial service was held on Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at St. Mark’s United Methodist Church, Seneca, SC.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions are welcome for St. Mark UMC Caring Ministry or Oconee Hospice of the Foothills, Seneca, SC 29672.
SENECA, S.C. —
September 30, 1940 - April 26, 2013
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- More Obituaries Headlines