SENECA, S.C. —
September 30, 1940 - April 26, 2013
Gene Leroy Fehler, age 72, passed away in Seneca, SC on Friday, April 26, 2013, after a sudden, month-long fight with cancer.
Born September 30, 1940 in Savanna, IL, to Hazel and Franklin Fehler, Gene grew up in Thomson, IL where he attended York Community
High School (1958); he graduated from Northern Illinois University in 1962 with a degree in English and a Masters degree in 1968. He met his beloved Polly Eggert in Hebron, IL, and married her in 1964.
He taught English and creative writing for 28 years in high school and college, living in Grayslake, Hebron, and Malta, IL, Montgomery, AL, Austin, TX, Watkinsville, GA, and Seneca, SC. After retiring from full-time teaching, he wrote (no more grading papers!) and worked as a poet/ writer-in-residence in AL, TX, NC, GA, and SC, conducting writing workshops in schools.
Gene was a quiet, keen observer of daily life, with a pas- sion for baseball and a subtle sense of humor. His smalltown childhood on the banks of the Mississippi animated much of his writing, and a great deal of his poetry, short stories, novels, and non-fiction revolves around baseball. He savored the experiences and observations of everything from the commonplace to the profound; the family is fortunate that he wrote so much of this down, a great deal of it published and much still to be published. He loved, doted on, and played endlessly with his family, especially his granddaughters.
He loved to play tennis, basketball, golf, softball, and baseball. He played mostly outfield and shortstop on the Lake Keowee Senior Softball team, going 4-5 in his last game four weeks ago, just after the cancer was discovered. He played on an over-28 baseball team with his son Tim for the past six years, where he played first base and pitcher, with his 45-mph with Tim catching his 45-mph roundhouse curve, befuddling batters (he was proud of his 118-year-old battery combination against the youngsters).
Gene was inducted into the Northwest Illinois Sports Hall of Fame in 1993.
With brevity a virtue for him, he is no doubt looking down and shaking his head at this obituary.
Gene and Polly are active members of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Seneca.
Gene is survived by his mother, Hazel of Havana, IL; wife of 48 years, Polly of Seneca, SC and two sons, Tim and wife Jacquelyn of Greenville, SC and Andrew and wife Kellie of Austin, TX; three grandchildren: Mireille and Gabrielle of Greenville, SC and Kaya (with her soon-to-be-born brother) of Austin, TX; two sisters: Rita Badger and husband David of Havana, IL and Rhonda Cunningham and husband Dan of St. Charles, MO; and 22 nieces and nephews. Gene was preceded in death by his father Franklin, and sister Janice Bradley.
A memorial service was held on Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at St. Mark’s United Methodist Church, Seneca, SC.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions are welcome for St. Mark UMC Caring Ministry or Oconee Hospice of the Foothills, Seneca, SC 29672.
SENECA, S.C. —
September 30, 1940 - April 26, 2013
- Geffrey E. Galloway Geffrey E. Galloway March 11, 1950 - March 6, 2014 MECHANICSVILLE -- Geffrey E. Galloway, 63, died March 6, 2014 in his Mechanicsville home. Visitation/open house for Geff will be from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 13 at Fry Funeral Home in Ti
- William Wagner THOMSON, Ill. -- William Wagner, 90, of Thomson, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Thomson. Burial with military rites will take place at Lower York C
- Richard N. Varner Richard N. Varner May 29, 1929 - March 9, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center South Campus. Honoring his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Funeral services will be Thursday,
- James C. Thyne James C. Thyne Feb. 19, 1952 - March 10, 2014 CLINTON -- James C. Thyne, age 62, of Clinton, passed away Monday, March 10, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. A Mass will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, March 15th, at Prince of Peace Par
- Alberta J. Wiebenga MORRISON, Ill. -- Alberta J. Wiebenga, 82, of Morrison, died Monday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home with Ken Renkes, director of Congrega
- Bernice Bartels DELMAR -- Bernice Bartels, 93, of Delmar, died Tuesday at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday at First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at th
- Michael Scott Lord Michael Scott Lord June 10, 1964 - March 9, 2014 SIKESTON, Mo. -- Michael Scott Lord, age 49, formerly of Maysville, was born June 10, 1964 and passed away March 9, 2014 in Sikeston, Missouri. Michael was a graduate of Maysville High School and Misso
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- More Obituaries Headlines