SENECA, S.C. —
September 30, 1940 - April 26, 2013
Gene Leroy Fehler, age 72, passed away in Seneca, SC on Friday, April 26, 2013, after a sudden, month-long fight with cancer.
Born September 30, 1940 in Savanna, IL, to Hazel and Franklin Fehler, Gene grew up in Thomson, IL where he attended York Community
High School (1958); he graduated from Northern Illinois University in 1962 with a degree in English and a Masters degree in 1968. He met his beloved Polly Eggert in Hebron, IL, and married her in 1964.
He taught English and creative writing for 28 years in high school and college, living in Grayslake, Hebron, and Malta, IL, Montgomery, AL, Austin, TX, Watkinsville, GA, and Seneca, SC. After retiring from full-time teaching, he wrote (no more grading papers!) and worked as a poet/ writer-in-residence in AL, TX, NC, GA, and SC, conducting writing workshops in schools.
Gene was a quiet, keen observer of daily life, with a pas- sion for baseball and a subtle sense of humor. His smalltown childhood on the banks of the Mississippi animated much of his writing, and a great deal of his poetry, short stories, novels, and non-fiction revolves around baseball. He savored the experiences and observations of everything from the commonplace to the profound; the family is fortunate that he wrote so much of this down, a great deal of it published and much still to be published. He loved, doted on, and played endlessly with his family, especially his granddaughters.
He loved to play tennis, basketball, golf, softball, and baseball. He played mostly outfield and shortstop on the Lake Keowee Senior Softball team, going 4-5 in his last game four weeks ago, just after the cancer was discovered. He played on an over-28 baseball team with his son Tim for the past six years, where he played first base and pitcher, with his 45-mph with Tim catching his 45-mph roundhouse curve, befuddling batters (he was proud of his 118-year-old battery combination against the youngsters).
Gene was inducted into the Northwest Illinois Sports Hall of Fame in 1993.
With brevity a virtue for him, he is no doubt looking down and shaking his head at this obituary.
Gene and Polly are active members of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Seneca.
Gene is survived by his mother, Hazel of Havana, IL; wife of 48 years, Polly of Seneca, SC and two sons, Tim and wife Jacquelyn of Greenville, SC and Andrew and wife Kellie of Austin, TX; three grandchildren: Mireille and Gabrielle of Greenville, SC and Kaya (with her soon-to-be-born brother) of Austin, TX; two sisters: Rita Badger and husband David of Havana, IL and Rhonda Cunningham and husband Dan of St. Charles, MO; and 22 nieces and nephews. Gene was preceded in death by his father Franklin, and sister Janice Bradley.
A memorial service was held on Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at St. Mark’s United Methodist Church, Seneca, SC.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions are welcome for St. Mark UMC Caring Ministry or Oconee Hospice of the Foothills, Seneca, SC 29672.
SENECA, S.C. —
September 30, 1940 - April 26, 2013
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller June 7, 1932 - March 7, 2014 BELLEVUE -- Lavonne "Tooty" Miller, 81, of Bellevue, Iowa, passed away Friday evening, March 7, 2014 at her home in Bellevue. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11:00 a.m., Tuesday morni
- Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Andrew Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Theresa M. Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Wilma J. Owen DEWITT -- Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A service of Christian burial will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Gra
- Jerry Marquez Jr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- Jerry Marquez Jr., 77, died last Wednesday in Savanna. Burial will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Rock Island National Cemetery in Rock Island, Ill. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Sava
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
- More Obituaries Headlines