Rev. William D. King
Jan. 8, 1929-Oct. 9, 2012
CLINTON — Rev. William D. King, 83, of Clinton, died Tuesday, October 9, 2012, at Mercy Medical Center — North Campus, Clinton.
Memorial services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, October 15, 2012, at Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton. Visitation will be Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m. at Zion. Burial will be at a later date near their lake cottage at the Hilltop Cemetery in Saxeville, Wisconsin. The Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is in charge of arrangements. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
William David King was born on January 8, 1929, in Troy, New York, the only child of David and Caren (Schott) King. He graduated from high school at the Lansingburgh High School in 1947 in Troy. He entered Dana College in Blair, Nebraska, and graduated with a degree in social service in 1954.
Bill married Joyce Hayek on June 25, 1955, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Hartland, Wisconsin. After graduating from Dana, he enrolled in Trinity Seminary at the same campus in Blair. He completed his internship at Bethany Lutheran Church in Portland, Oregon. He moved to Dubuque after the synod merger and graduated from Trinity Seminary located on the Wartburg campus in 1958.
In June of 1958, Bill was ordained in Blair, Nebraska, and installed as pastor of Bethesda Lutheran Church in Moorhead, Iowa. In the fall of 1961, Bill accepted the call to Chancy Lutheran Church in Clinton and served there until 1978. Feeling drawn to minister in a different direction, he became chaplain/assistant administrator at the Sarah Harding Home in Clinton until his retirement in 1993. While at Sarah Harding, he was able to do interim ministry and served at Lutheran Church of the Atonement in Clinton, Calvary Lutheran in Sabula, Iowa, and York Community Church in Thomson, Illinois.
Bill served on many boards and committees. He helped with the United Way, Congress of Racial Equality, Women’s Health Services and even the draft board at one time. He helped form the Clinton Ministerial Association, and was instrumental in creating the hospital chaplaincy corps, eventually securing a full-time Protestant chaplain at the former Jane Lamb Hospital (now Mercy Medical Center-South Campus). He was active in the Izaak Walton League and was the local president at one time. He is currently a member of Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton. He enjoyed spending time at his year-round cottage near Saxeville, Wisconsin.
Bill is survived by his wife of 57 years, Joyce, of Clinton; three daughters, Lisa (Steve) Clarke of Clinton, Jean (Bill) Herrstrom of Madrid, Iowa, and Beth (Steve) Coffey of Indianola, Iowa; five grandchildren: Sara Stiles (Abe Blair), Brent Stiles (Amanda Hedgepath), Emily Coffey, Abigail Coffey and Spencer Herrstrom; and one great-grandson, Chaz William Blair; and cousins, as well as extended Wisconsin relatives that he considered family.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
If you wish to leave a memorial, please designate the church or charity of your choice or the Izaak Walton League.
Death date: Oct. 9, 2012
Rev. William D. King
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- Louis K. Ronnfeldt Louis K. Ronnfeldt Sept. 11, 1940 - Dec. 7, 2013 CAMANCHE -- Louis K. Ronnfeldt, age 73, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, December 7, 2013 at his home. In following his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A gathering of family and friends w
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Lawrence 'Larry' E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. A funeral service will be held at noon Wednesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will take pla
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- More Obituaries Headlines