Rev. William D. King
Jan. 8, 1929-Oct. 9, 2012
CLINTON — Rev. William D. King, 83, of Clinton, died Tuesday, October 9, 2012, at Mercy Medical Center — North Campus, Clinton.
Memorial services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, October 15, 2012, at Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton. Visitation will be Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m. at Zion. Burial will be at a later date near their lake cottage at the Hilltop Cemetery in Saxeville, Wisconsin. The Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is in charge of arrangements. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
William David King was born on January 8, 1929, in Troy, New York, the only child of David and Caren (Schott) King. He graduated from high school at the Lansingburgh High School in 1947 in Troy. He entered Dana College in Blair, Nebraska, and graduated with a degree in social service in 1954.
Bill married Joyce Hayek on June 25, 1955, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Hartland, Wisconsin. After graduating from Dana, he enrolled in Trinity Seminary at the same campus in Blair. He completed his internship at Bethany Lutheran Church in Portland, Oregon. He moved to Dubuque after the synod merger and graduated from Trinity Seminary located on the Wartburg campus in 1958.
In June of 1958, Bill was ordained in Blair, Nebraska, and installed as pastor of Bethesda Lutheran Church in Moorhead, Iowa. In the fall of 1961, Bill accepted the call to Chancy Lutheran Church in Clinton and served there until 1978. Feeling drawn to minister in a different direction, he became chaplain/assistant administrator at the Sarah Harding Home in Clinton until his retirement in 1993. While at Sarah Harding, he was able to do interim ministry and served at Lutheran Church of the Atonement in Clinton, Calvary Lutheran in Sabula, Iowa, and York Community Church in Thomson, Illinois.
Bill served on many boards and committees. He helped with the United Way, Congress of Racial Equality, Women’s Health Services and even the draft board at one time. He helped form the Clinton Ministerial Association, and was instrumental in creating the hospital chaplaincy corps, eventually securing a full-time Protestant chaplain at the former Jane Lamb Hospital (now Mercy Medical Center-South Campus). He was active in the Izaak Walton League and was the local president at one time. He is currently a member of Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton. He enjoyed spending time at his year-round cottage near Saxeville, Wisconsin.
Bill is survived by his wife of 57 years, Joyce, of Clinton; three daughters, Lisa (Steve) Clarke of Clinton, Jean (Bill) Herrstrom of Madrid, Iowa, and Beth (Steve) Coffey of Indianola, Iowa; five grandchildren: Sara Stiles (Abe Blair), Brent Stiles (Amanda Hedgepath), Emily Coffey, Abigail Coffey and Spencer Herrstrom; and one great-grandson, Chaz William Blair; and cousins, as well as extended Wisconsin relatives that he considered family.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
If you wish to leave a memorial, please designate the church or charity of your choice or the Izaak Walton League.
Death date: Oct. 9, 2012
Rev. William D. King
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines