Rev. William D. King
Jan. 8, 1929-Oct. 9, 2012
CLINTON — Rev. William D. King, 83, of Clinton, died Tuesday, October 9, 2012, at Mercy Medical Center — North Campus, Clinton.
Memorial services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, October 15, 2012, at Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton. Visitation will be Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m. at Zion. Burial will be at a later date near their lake cottage at the Hilltop Cemetery in Saxeville, Wisconsin. The Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is in charge of arrangements. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
William David King was born on January 8, 1929, in Troy, New York, the only child of David and Caren (Schott) King. He graduated from high school at the Lansingburgh High School in 1947 in Troy. He entered Dana College in Blair, Nebraska, and graduated with a degree in social service in 1954.
Bill married Joyce Hayek on June 25, 1955, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Hartland, Wisconsin. After graduating from Dana, he enrolled in Trinity Seminary at the same campus in Blair. He completed his internship at Bethany Lutheran Church in Portland, Oregon. He moved to Dubuque after the synod merger and graduated from Trinity Seminary located on the Wartburg campus in 1958.
In June of 1958, Bill was ordained in Blair, Nebraska, and installed as pastor of Bethesda Lutheran Church in Moorhead, Iowa. In the fall of 1961, Bill accepted the call to Chancy Lutheran Church in Clinton and served there until 1978. Feeling drawn to minister in a different direction, he became chaplain/assistant administrator at the Sarah Harding Home in Clinton until his retirement in 1993. While at Sarah Harding, he was able to do interim ministry and served at Lutheran Church of the Atonement in Clinton, Calvary Lutheran in Sabula, Iowa, and York Community Church in Thomson, Illinois.
Bill served on many boards and committees. He helped with the United Way, Congress of Racial Equality, Women’s Health Services and even the draft board at one time. He helped form the Clinton Ministerial Association, and was instrumental in creating the hospital chaplaincy corps, eventually securing a full-time Protestant chaplain at the former Jane Lamb Hospital (now Mercy Medical Center-South Campus). He was active in the Izaak Walton League and was the local president at one time. He is currently a member of Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton. He enjoyed spending time at his year-round cottage near Saxeville, Wisconsin.
Bill is survived by his wife of 57 years, Joyce, of Clinton; three daughters, Lisa (Steve) Clarke of Clinton, Jean (Bill) Herrstrom of Madrid, Iowa, and Beth (Steve) Coffey of Indianola, Iowa; five grandchildren: Sara Stiles (Abe Blair), Brent Stiles (Amanda Hedgepath), Emily Coffey, Abigail Coffey and Spencer Herrstrom; and one great-grandson, Chaz William Blair; and cousins, as well as extended Wisconsin relatives that he considered family.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
If you wish to leave a memorial, please designate the church or charity of your choice or the Izaak Walton League.
Death date: Oct. 9, 2012
Rev. William D. King
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Willard Henricksen PRESTON -- Willard Henricksen, 96, of Preston, died Friday at Crest Ridge Care Center in Maquoketa. Cremation rites will be accorded and inurnment will take place at a later date. Death date: April 18, 2014 Willard Henricksen
- Ralph D. 'Buddy' Mundhank Ralph D. 'Buddy' Mundhank May 18, 1937 - April 18, 2014 DAVENPORT -- Ralph D. "Buddy" Mundhank, 76, of Davenport, went to be with the Lord Friday, April 18, 2014 at his home in Clinton. A memorial gathering for friends and family will be Monday (4/21
- Susan 'Sue' M. Wing Susan 'Sue' M. Wing Nov. 9, 1950 - April 18, 2014 CLINTON -- Susan "Sue" M. Wing, 63, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, April 18, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton, Iowa. A Memorial Gathering will be held on Tuesday, April 22, 2014
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Edward 'Ed' Traum EdWard 'Ed' Traum June 20, 1943 - April 18, 2014 MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Edward "Ed" Traum, loving Husband, Father, Grandfather, Brother and Uncle, passed into heaven Friday, April 18, 2014, at the age of 70, with the loving care of his family, at home
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- More Obituaries Headlines