May 20, 1948 - Oct. 10, 2012
Richard (Rich) Gale Burlingame, Jr., 64, Clinton, died of a systemic infection at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City on Wednesday, October 10, 2012. He had been transferred to the U of I hospital from Samaritan North in Clinton, two weeks prior to his death.
Rich was born on May 20, 1948, in Clinton, to Richard G. and Doris (Gill) Burlingame. He attended Hawthorne Elementary School, Washington Junior High School, and graduated from Clinton High School in 1967. After graduation, he joined the U.S. Navy and served on a supply ship off the coast of Viet Nam, and at Subic Bay in the Philippines. After being discharged from the Navy in 1970, he returned to Clinton and shortly afterwards began working for DairyPak. He continued to work for DairyPak and its successors, Champion Paper and Evergreen Paper for the next 40 years, until he became disabled in 2010.
Rich was an avid and a knowledgeable baseball and football fan. He loved the Iowa Hawkeyes, the Los Angeles Dodgers, and the Green Bay Packers. He followed the Clinton LumberKings as well as the other minor league baseball teams in Clinton over the years, including the Clinton C-Sox and Clinton Pilots in the early 1960s. He also supported all of the Clinton High School teams and attended as many of their games as he could when his work schedule permitted.
Rich grew up in the First Presbyterian Church in Clinton, but later in his life he joined Hope Lutheran Church. At the time of his death, Rich had been attending Chancy Lutheran Church for several years. His church was important to him and he was member of the choir at both Hope and later at Chancy.
Rich was very fond of music, particularly the music of the Beach Boys and a local rock group, Coupe De Ville. Over the years he was able to see both groups in person on many occasions.
Rich is survived by his brother, Tom (Joyce) of West Des Moines; his niece, Kristen Giudicessi, also of West Des Moines, and her children, Isabella and Sophia; and his nephew, Jason (Teri) Burlingame of Naperville, Illinois, and their children Noah, Ben, and Emily. His family meant a great deal to Rich, and he will be missed by all of them who loved him very much.
Rich is also survived by his very good friend, Rose Moon, of Davenport, with whom he shared much of his life for the last ten years.
There will be a celebration of life and a memorial service in Clinton at a later date. Memorial contributions in Rich’s name may be made to the Clinton Public Library, 306 8th Avenue South, Clinton, Iowa 52732, or directed to the Lemke Funeral Home, 2610 Manufacturing Drive, Clinton, Iowa 52732.
May 20, 1948 - Oct. 10, 2012
- Justin G. Curtin PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Justin G. Curtin, 30, of Prophetstown, died Monday at home. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Bosma-Gibson Funeral Home
- Martha Belle Rhode SAVANNA, Ill. -- Martha Belle Rhode, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing facility in Savanna. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the United Methodist Church in Savanna, with the Rev. Sejoon Jang officiating. Memorial
- Sheila A. Jones Sheila A. Jones Aug. 4, 1963 - Dec. 11, 2013 CLINTON -- Sheila A. Jones, age 50, of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton. A gathering of family and friends will be held from 12:00 noon until 2:00 p
- Lillyawana Sky Volker IOWA CITY -- Infant Lillyawana Sky Volker passed away with the assured comfort of her loving parents at her side on December 6th, 2013 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. Lillyawana was born November 19th, 2013 in Iowa City, Iowa, the daughter of J
- Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Elizabeth 'Betty' E. Grossman Aug. 11, 1939 - Dec. 10, 2013 CLINTON -- Elizabeth "Betty" E. Grossman, 74, of Clinton, Iowa passed away at the University of Iowa Hospitals on December 10th, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Frid
- Martha Belle Rhoden Savanna, Ill. Martha Belle Rhoden Martha Belle Rhoden, 96, of Savanna, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. Arrangements are pending at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna.
- Donald E. Ludvigsen Donald E. Ludvigsen Dec. 5, 1930 - Dec. 9, 2013 CLINTON -- Donald E. Ludvigsen, age 83, of Clinton, died Monday Dec. 9, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. There will be no visitation or funeral services held; cremation rites have been accorded. The
- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis MILES -- Joyce Jean Rohweder Weis, 84, died Monday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Preston. A visitation will be held prior to the service from 10 to 11 a.m. a
- LaVerne A. Reckinger Sr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- LaVerne A. Reckinger, Sr., 86, of Savanna, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna. Burial will take place in Marywood Catholic
- Marian Rose Marian Rose April 7, 1919 - Dec. 9, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Marian Rose, 94, of Fulton, died Monday, December 9, 2013, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, IL. Funeral service is at 2 p.m. Thursday, December 12, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma
- More Obituaries Headlines