Aug. 15, 1933 - Oct. 19, 2012
Gerald W. “Jerry” Ramig, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Friday, October 19, 2012, at the University of Iowa Hospitals.
Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, October 24, 2012, at Zion Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 2 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, October 23, at the Pape Funeral Home and from 9:30 a.m. until the service time Wednesday at the church. Burial will be in Oakland Cemetery. Casket bearers will be his grandsons and a nephew, Andrew and Adam Naeve, Michael S. and Kenny Ramig, Arno Steyl, Rafael Lozano and Judd Huff. Honorary casket bearers will be members of the Iowa State Bowling Hall of Fame.
Jerry was born in Chicago, IL, on August 15, 1933, the son of Arthur and Jesse (Brown) Ramig. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1951. Jerry joined the U.S. Army in 1953 and served in Korea for 16 months with the 51st Signal Battalion and served with the chaplains corp. He married Dolores A. Stolk on November 23, 1957, at the Little Brown Church in Nashua, Iowa. Jerry was first employed as a line-o-type operator at the Clinton Herald. He started working at the Clinton Post Office in 1964 and became a member of the National Association of Letter Carriers and is still a member after retiring in October of 1992. He received the Iowa Governor’s Award for Volunteer of the Year while employed at the U.S. Post Office on the state level. He helped organize the “Carrier Alert Program” at the Clinton Office and served as chairman of the first National Food Drive in Clinton in 1992. He was a member of Zion Lutheran Church where he sang in the choir for many years, National Letter Carriers Association, Clinton Labor Congress, Clinton Jaycees, the V.F.W., American Legion and the AMVETS where he played taps for over 400 military funerals and helped organize the Memorial Day service for many years.
Jerry was a past president, association secretary and a Hall of Fame member of the Clinton Bowling Association. His main league was the Classic League where he served as secretary for 33 years. He was a member of the Iowa State Bowling Hall of Fame and the Bowling Writers of America for the 28 years. He organized the local area bowlers who bowled in the Brother’s Bowling Tournament in Peoria for many years. Jerry wrote the bowling page in the Clinton Herald for many years and following his retirement covered many of the local area sporting teams for the paper. He reported the local bowling scores with his Spare Time program on KROS and during the summer months the local softball news with his Diamond Notes program. Jerry coached Little League Baseball and was the grounds keeper at the Pony League and Jones Fields for many years. He served two terms with the Clinton School Board, played with the Clinton Municipal Band, River City Brass and helped organize the Felix Adler and Mardi Gras Parades. He was a die-hard Cub fan. Jerry donated blood through the American Red Cross and gave of himself in death by being a bone and tissue donor.
Jerry is survived by his wife, Dolores; a son, Michael (Cindy) Ramig of Clinton; a daughter, Marcia (Ray) Naeve of Andover; five grandchildren, Michael S. (Linda) Ramig, Priscilla (Rafael) Lozano, Allison (Arno) Steyl, Andrew (Kristin) Naeve and Adam Naeve; three great-grandchildren, Isabella Lozano, and Kristin and Kenny Ramig; four stepgreat-grandchildren, Everett Williams, Kiara Williams, Raven Jones and Kassidy Jones; two sisters, Marilyn Huff of Clinton and Bonnie (Richard) Tervelt of Burlington, NC; two brothers, William “Bill” (Judy) Ramig of Jacksonville, FL, and Thomas “Tom” Ramig of Clinton a special “great” niece and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; four brothers, Raymond, Russell, Clifford and Donald and a sister, Joy Howard. Memorials may be made to the Lutheran Chaplaincy Outreach at the University of Iowa Hospitals or Zion Lutheran Church. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Death date: Oct. 19, 2012
Aug. 15, 1933 - Oct. 19, 2012
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Lawrence 'Larry' E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. A funeral service will be held at noon Wednesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will take pla
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- George A. Decker George A. Decker May 13, 1921 - Dec. 7, 2013 BETTENDORF -- Funeral services and a Mass of Christian Burial for George A. Decker, 92, a resident of Bettendorf, will be 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, 1506
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- More Obituaries Headlines