August 18, 1925 - October 22, 2012
John “Jack” Holst, 87, of DeWitt, died suddenly Monday morning, October 22, 2012, at Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt, Iowa.
Jack was born Tuesday, August 18, 1925, to Alvin and Anne (Mulvihill) Holst, in Marquette, Manitoba, Canada. Jack’s family returned to Iowa in October of 1925. The family then moved to the Welton area in 1936 where he graduated from high school in 1944 and farmed with his father. Jack was united in marriage to Arlene Schnoor on January 12, 1950, at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church in Davenport, Iowa. The couple farmed together in the Welton area for over 50 years until retiring to DeWitt. After retirement, Jack and Arlene were caretakers for the Clinton County 4-H grounds for 10 years.
Jack was a member of St. Anne’s Catholic Church in Welton, Iowa, for over 75 years. He was also a member of the Welton Volunteer Fire Department, serving as chief for several years, the Clinton County Farm Bureau where he served as township director, the Welton Lions and Clinton County Cattlemen’s Association. He was also a past 4-H leader. Jack enjoyed spending time with his family, collecting toy tractors, playing cards and camping.
In addition to his wife of 62 years, Arlene, Jack is survived by his children, DeAnn (David) King, Cedar Rapids, Dean (Lori) Holst, Dale (Annette) Holst, Donn (Nanette) Holst and David (Tina) Holst, all of DeWitt, Tom (Kim Dominato) Holst, Valrico, Florida, and Michelle (John) Rausenberger, of Clinton; 24 grandchildren and 29 great-grandchildren; a twin sister, Mary Darlene Ward, Center Junction, and sisters, Virginia (Ray) Carstensen, DeWitt, and Janet Schnack, Marion, and a brother, Eugene (Cyndy) Holst, Bettendorf; numerous other relatives.
Jack was preceded in death by an infant son, Dennis John Holst.
The family will greet relatives and friends from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Thursday, October 25, 2012, at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, Iowa. A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, October 26, 2012, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, DeWitt. The Reverend Father Paul Connolly will officiate. Burial will follow at St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, DeWitt.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Oct. 22, 2012
August 18, 1925 - October 22, 2012
- Lois M. Thomsen ClintonLois M. ThomsenLois M. Thomsen, 85, of Clinton died Friday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Robert A. Naeve ClintonRobert A. NaeveRobert A. Naeve, 81, of Clinton, died Thursday at the Alverno Health Care facility.Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Elizabeth Lee 'Dolly' Kunde MaquoketaElizabeth Lee ‘Dolly’ KundeElizabeth Lee “Dolly” Kunde, 69, of Maquoketa, died Thursday at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa.Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Linda Kay Schnoor Linda Kay SchnoorMay 20, 1945 - July 29, 2014IOWA CITY — Linda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, Iowa passed away on Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Cremation rites have been accorded with a prayer and remembrance c
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines