August 18, 1925 - October 22, 2012
John “Jack” Holst, 87, of DeWitt, died suddenly Monday morning, October 22, 2012, at Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt, Iowa.
Jack was born Tuesday, August 18, 1925, to Alvin and Anne (Mulvihill) Holst, in Marquette, Manitoba, Canada. Jack’s family returned to Iowa in October of 1925. The family then moved to the Welton area in 1936 where he graduated from high school in 1944 and farmed with his father. Jack was united in marriage to Arlene Schnoor on January 12, 1950, at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church in Davenport, Iowa. The couple farmed together in the Welton area for over 50 years until retiring to DeWitt. After retirement, Jack and Arlene were caretakers for the Clinton County 4-H grounds for 10 years.
Jack was a member of St. Anne’s Catholic Church in Welton, Iowa, for over 75 years. He was also a member of the Welton Volunteer Fire Department, serving as chief for several years, the Clinton County Farm Bureau where he served as township director, the Welton Lions and Clinton County Cattlemen’s Association. He was also a past 4-H leader. Jack enjoyed spending time with his family, collecting toy tractors, playing cards and camping.
In addition to his wife of 62 years, Arlene, Jack is survived by his children, DeAnn (David) King, Cedar Rapids, Dean (Lori) Holst, Dale (Annette) Holst, Donn (Nanette) Holst and David (Tina) Holst, all of DeWitt, Tom (Kim Dominato) Holst, Valrico, Florida, and Michelle (John) Rausenberger, of Clinton; 24 grandchildren and 29 great-grandchildren; a twin sister, Mary Darlene Ward, Center Junction, and sisters, Virginia (Ray) Carstensen, DeWitt, and Janet Schnack, Marion, and a brother, Eugene (Cyndy) Holst, Bettendorf; numerous other relatives.
Jack was preceded in death by an infant son, Dennis John Holst.
The family will greet relatives and friends from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Thursday, October 25, 2012, at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, Iowa. A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, October 26, 2012, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, DeWitt. The Reverend Father Paul Connolly will officiate. Burial will follow at St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, DeWitt.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Oct. 22, 2012
August 18, 1925 - October 22, 2012
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines