March 3, 1927 - Nov. 1, 2012
James E. Legel, age 85, of Maquoketa, formerly of Clinton, passed away Thursday, November 1, 2012, at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa surrounded by family.
Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. on Monday, November 5, 2012, at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. Monday until the service time. Burial will be in Center Grove Cemetery.
Jim was born in Clinton on March 3, 1927, the son of Elvie and Gertrude (Chesbro) Legel. He served with the U.S. Army in the European Theater during World War II. Jim married Francis Wilson in Clinton and had a son, James C. Legel. He later married Joan Hamstra on January 14, 1961, in Illinois. She preceded him in death. Jim had worked at the Curtis Company for 10 years and then at Clinton Corn Processing Company for 20 years. He enjoyed camping at Bulger’s Hollow, fishing with his son, Jim, and gardening and being outdoors on his acreage.
Jim is survived by a son, James (Connie) Legel of Savanna; a stepgrandson, Darren Moores of California; a sister, Beverly Nordt of Clinton; a brother, Henry “Hank” Legel of Fulton; three half sisters, Roxanne (Ron) Schultz of Sterling, Barb Spease of Jacksonville, Arkansas, and Jean Clark of Fulton; a half brother, Jerry Legel of Fulton; and a special niece, Rosie Bousman.
He was preceded in death by his parents; both wives; two brothers, Robert and Richard; and a stepbrother, Donald. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Death date: Nov. 1, 2012
March 3, 1927 - Nov. 1, 2012
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines