ELLICOTT CITY, Md. —
June 17, 1918 - June 1, 2012
Harold “Hal” Lovell Phillips, 93, went home to be with the Lord on June 1, 2012 in Ellicott City, MD. He was born on June 17, 1918 in Greenville, KY to C.N. and Priscilla (Brothers) Phillips. He was preceded home by his wife of 48 years, Inez Phillips in 1995 and survived by his daughter, Linda Ross, Kingston, NY; son, Alan Phillips, and daughter-in-law, Cheryl Phillips, Ellicott City, MD; grandchildren, Lindsey Ross, Kira Guidice (Steve), Jason Harlow, Sarah Feitknecht (Josh); great-grandson, Hayden Feitknecht; and sister, Dorothy Finley. He was buried
at Evergreen Cemetery in Greenville,KY.
Harold served honorably in World War II, first as a private and then commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant (“since they wouldn’t promote me, I became an officer”) piloting the B25 bomber. After completing 71 combat missions with the 5th Army Air Corps in the South Pacific Theater, primarily in the New Guinea arena, he trained cadets and was discharged as a 1st Lieutenant in August 1945.
Before the war, he attended the University of Kentucky, Lexington, and afterwards Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, on the GI Bill. Harold married Inez Sweeney in 1947 and, after receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in agronomy and chemistry, did graduate work at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He was employed as a ‘dynamite’ chemist by Olin Mathieson in Wisconsin and southern Illinois. Harold moved the family to Clinton in 1963 to work as a chemist at Nitrin, Cordova, IL and then Chemplex. At Chemplex he began as a chemist but soon accepted a promotion to ethylene superintendent and was later superintendent of shipping. He retired in January 1981 and for the next 30 years ran his own company, Phillips Management Services, recycling plastic between Iowa, Texas and Minnesota. Harold finally retired in March 2010 at the age of 91, still driving and climbing on his roof with one of his four cats in one hand and phone in the other. In October 2010, ‘Poppy’ moved to Maryland to enjoy the company of his great-grandson.
Harold was a long-time member of Calvary Baptist Church and served in multiple ministries as deacon, chairman, trustee, choir member and financial officer. He played his beloved guitar and mandolin at church, area senior centers and retirement homes. In the past, he had been a Toastmaster, YMCA advocate and active in Republican politics. After moving to Maryland, he attended Bethel Baptist Church and was involved in their Primetimer ministry for seniors. He was also a lifelong Kentucky Wildcats fan with a fondness for the Cubs and the Green Bay Packers. By God’s immeasurable grace, we will see you soon Dad, Poppy, Harold and Hal!
ELLICOTT CITY, Md. —
June 17, 1918 - June 1, 2012
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines