ELLICOTT CITY, Md. —
June 17, 1918 - June 1, 2012
Harold “Hal” Lovell Phillips, 93, went home to be with the Lord on June 1, 2012 in Ellicott City, MD. He was born on June 17, 1918 in Greenville, KY to C.N. and Priscilla (Brothers) Phillips. He was preceded home by his wife of 48 years, Inez Phillips in 1995 and survived by his daughter, Linda Ross, Kingston, NY; son, Alan Phillips, and daughter-in-law, Cheryl Phillips, Ellicott City, MD; grandchildren, Lindsey Ross, Kira Guidice (Steve), Jason Harlow, Sarah Feitknecht (Josh); great-grandson, Hayden Feitknecht; and sister, Dorothy Finley. He was buried
at Evergreen Cemetery in Greenville,KY.
Harold served honorably in World War II, first as a private and then commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant (“since they wouldn’t promote me, I became an officer”) piloting the B25 bomber. After completing 71 combat missions with the 5th Army Air Corps in the South Pacific Theater, primarily in the New Guinea arena, he trained cadets and was discharged as a 1st Lieutenant in August 1945.
Before the war, he attended the University of Kentucky, Lexington, and afterwards Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, on the GI Bill. Harold married Inez Sweeney in 1947 and, after receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in agronomy and chemistry, did graduate work at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He was employed as a ‘dynamite’ chemist by Olin Mathieson in Wisconsin and southern Illinois. Harold moved the family to Clinton in 1963 to work as a chemist at Nitrin, Cordova, IL and then Chemplex. At Chemplex he began as a chemist but soon accepted a promotion to ethylene superintendent and was later superintendent of shipping. He retired in January 1981 and for the next 30 years ran his own company, Phillips Management Services, recycling plastic between Iowa, Texas and Minnesota. Harold finally retired in March 2010 at the age of 91, still driving and climbing on his roof with one of his four cats in one hand and phone in the other. In October 2010, ‘Poppy’ moved to Maryland to enjoy the company of his great-grandson.
Harold was a long-time member of Calvary Baptist Church and served in multiple ministries as deacon, chairman, trustee, choir member and financial officer. He played his beloved guitar and mandolin at church, area senior centers and retirement homes. In the past, he had been a Toastmaster, YMCA advocate and active in Republican politics. After moving to Maryland, he attended Bethel Baptist Church and was involved in their Primetimer ministry for seniors. He was also a lifelong Kentucky Wildcats fan with a fondness for the Cubs and the Green Bay Packers. By God’s immeasurable grace, we will see you soon Dad, Poppy, Harold and Hal!
ELLICOTT CITY, Md. —
June 17, 1918 - June 1, 2012
- Martha A. Johnson Martha A. Johnson May 7, 1912 - March 13, 2014 CLINTON -- Martha A. Johnson, 101, of Clinton, passed away, Thursday, March 13, 2014 at the Alverno in Clinton. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, March 15, 2014 at the Zion Lutheran Church, Clin
- Henry Francis Arkenberg Henry Francis Arkenberg March 2, 1939 - March 12, 2014 BETTENDORF -- Henry Francis Arkenberg, 75, of Clinton died Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Monday, March 17t
- Gust G. 'Bobby' Moraetes EAST MOLINE, Ill. -- Gust G. "Bobby" Moraetes, 78, of East Moline, died Wednesday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services are at 11 a.m. Monday at Van Hoe Funeral Home in East Moline. Burial is in Rock Island National Cemetery. Visitatio
- Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens MAQUOKETA -- Michael D. "Mike" Stevens, 47, of Maquoketa, died Saturday at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. A celebration of his life will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Pearson Hall in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 3 to 7 p
- Kathleen M. Petras Kathleen M. Petras June 20, 1951 - March 10, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Kathleen M. Petras, 62, of Camanche, died at her home on March 10, 2014. A Celebration of life will be from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Sunday, March 16, 2014, at Lemke Funeral Homes South Chapel 26
- Helen Louise Kerr DeWitt Helen Louise Kerr Helen Louise Kerr, 77, of DeWitt, died at Clarrisa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Henry F. Arkenberg Clinton Henry F. Arkenberg Henry F. Arkenberg, 75, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens Maquoketa Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens Michael D. "Mike" Stevens, 47, of Maquoketa died Saturday at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Kathleen M. Petras CAMANCHE -- Kathleen M. Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. A celebration of life will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday at Lemke Funeral Homes, south chapel. Death date: March 10, 2014 Kathleen M. Petras
- Geffrey E. Galloway Geffrey E. Galloway March 11, 1950 - March 6, 2014 MECHANICSVILLE -- Geffrey E. Galloway, 63, died March 6, 2014 in his Mechanicsville home. Visitation/open house for Geff will be from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 13 at Fry Funeral Home in Ti
- More Obituaries Headlines