Oct. 11, 1917 - July 19, 2012
Evelyn Margaret (Wiese) Behrens, age 94, of rural Clinton, passed away peacefully in her sleep Thursday morning, July 19, 2012, with her son Gary at her side.
Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. Saturday, July 21, at the family home, 4165 115th Street, Clinton. A graveside service will follow at the Andover Cemetery. A lunch to celebrate her life will be served at Gary’s home after the service. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family.
Evelyn was born in rural Charlotte on October 11, 1917, the daughter of Frank and Ida (Grantz) Wiese. She was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith. She attended Charlotte schools and received her teaching certificate from Mount St. Clare College. She taught in a one room schoolhouse in rural Charlotte before her marriage to Virtus Behrens on June 7, 1939. Virtus passed away in 1994. She and her husband farmed on the same Century Farm west of Teeds Grove since the early 1940’s, where she lived until her death. Evelyn lived next to her son and his family on the family farm and was a very helpful, loving, caring mother, mother-in-law, grandmother and great-grandmother to them all.
Evelyn loved her family, gardening, cooking and working on the farm. She crocheted rugs for most of her adult life and enjoyed giving them as gifts. Most of her grandchildren’s friends, who were always at the farm, will remember her as simply grandma too. She always served them lunch on their visits.
Evelyn is survived by survived her daughter, Betty (Ken) Spurbeck of Michigan; their children, Mark (Marlena) Spurbeck and their children Elijah and Micha of Colorado and Brenda Spurbeck of Tennessee; her son, Gary (Rojean) Behrens and their children, Chad (Toni) Behrens and their children, Emma and Jack of Clinton, and a stepgreat-granddaughter, MacKenzie, Cody Behrens and her son Blake of Clinton and Clay Behrens of Andover.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, her oldest grandson, Scott, a brother, Daryl Wiese, a sister, Dorothy Sorenson and her stepmother, Frieda Wiese.
Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Death date: July 19, 2012
Oct. 11, 1917 - July 19, 2012
- Thomas Determan Thomas DetermanApril 10, 1948 - July 22, 2014DUBUQUE — Thomas Determan completed his transition to the uncertain, albeit likely, next phase of existence on July 22, 2014.He entered life on April 10, 1948. His parents, Don and Helen Determan, nurtured
- Steven C. Charnoski CamancheSteven C. CharnoskiSteven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, died Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Delbert H. Stamp ClintonDelbert H. StampDelbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, died Thursday at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook.Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- More Obituaries Headlines