Oct. 11, 1917 - July 19, 2012
Evelyn Margaret (Wiese) Behrens, age 94, of rural Clinton, passed away peacefully in her sleep Thursday morning, July 19, 2012, with her son Gary at her side.
Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. Saturday, July 21, at the family home, 4165 115th Street, Clinton. A graveside service will follow at the Andover Cemetery. A lunch to celebrate her life will be served at Gary’s home after the service. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family.
Evelyn was born in rural Charlotte on October 11, 1917, the daughter of Frank and Ida (Grantz) Wiese. She was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith. She attended Charlotte schools and received her teaching certificate from Mount St. Clare College. She taught in a one room schoolhouse in rural Charlotte before her marriage to Virtus Behrens on June 7, 1939. Virtus passed away in 1994. She and her husband farmed on the same Century Farm west of Teeds Grove since the early 1940’s, where she lived until her death. Evelyn lived next to her son and his family on the family farm and was a very helpful, loving, caring mother, mother-in-law, grandmother and great-grandmother to them all.
Evelyn loved her family, gardening, cooking and working on the farm. She crocheted rugs for most of her adult life and enjoyed giving them as gifts. Most of her grandchildren’s friends, who were always at the farm, will remember her as simply grandma too. She always served them lunch on their visits.
Evelyn is survived by survived her daughter, Betty (Ken) Spurbeck of Michigan; their children, Mark (Marlena) Spurbeck and their children Elijah and Micha of Colorado and Brenda Spurbeck of Tennessee; her son, Gary (Rojean) Behrens and their children, Chad (Toni) Behrens and their children, Emma and Jack of Clinton, and a stepgreat-granddaughter, MacKenzie, Cody Behrens and her son Blake of Clinton and Clay Behrens of Andover.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, her oldest grandson, Scott, a brother, Daryl Wiese, a sister, Dorothy Sorenson and her stepmother, Frieda Wiese.
Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Death date: July 19, 2012
Oct. 11, 1917 - July 19, 2012
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- James C. Thyne Clinton James C. Thyne James C. Thyne, 62, of Clinton, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Pamela J. Harlock Pamela J. Harlock Aug. 16, 1951 - March 6, 2014 CLINTON -- Pamela J. Harlock, age 63, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, TX. Funeral services will be held Friday at 10:30 a.m. March 14th at the Pape Funeral Home
- Gary M. Ferris FULTON, Ill. -- Gary M. Ferris, 67, of Fulton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. There will be no visitation or funeral services. Cremation rites have been accorded. Death date: March 9, 2014 Gary M. Ferris
- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson ANDREW -- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at her home, from injuries sustained in a house fire. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation
- Catherine Petras Camanche Catherine Petras Catherine Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines