Oct. 11, 1917 - July 19, 2012
Evelyn Margaret (Wiese) Behrens, age 94, of rural Clinton, passed away peacefully in her sleep Thursday morning, July 19, 2012, with her son Gary at her side.
Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. Saturday, July 21, at the family home, 4165 115th Street, Clinton. A graveside service will follow at the Andover Cemetery. A lunch to celebrate her life will be served at Gary’s home after the service. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family.
Evelyn was born in rural Charlotte on October 11, 1917, the daughter of Frank and Ida (Grantz) Wiese. She was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith. She attended Charlotte schools and received her teaching certificate from Mount St. Clare College. She taught in a one room schoolhouse in rural Charlotte before her marriage to Virtus Behrens on June 7, 1939. Virtus passed away in 1994. She and her husband farmed on the same Century Farm west of Teeds Grove since the early 1940’s, where she lived until her death. Evelyn lived next to her son and his family on the family farm and was a very helpful, loving, caring mother, mother-in-law, grandmother and great-grandmother to them all.
Evelyn loved her family, gardening, cooking and working on the farm. She crocheted rugs for most of her adult life and enjoyed giving them as gifts. Most of her grandchildren’s friends, who were always at the farm, will remember her as simply grandma too. She always served them lunch on their visits.
Evelyn is survived by survived her daughter, Betty (Ken) Spurbeck of Michigan; their children, Mark (Marlena) Spurbeck and their children Elijah and Micha of Colorado and Brenda Spurbeck of Tennessee; her son, Gary (Rojean) Behrens and their children, Chad (Toni) Behrens and their children, Emma and Jack of Clinton, and a stepgreat-granddaughter, MacKenzie, Cody Behrens and her son Blake of Clinton and Clay Behrens of Andover.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, her oldest grandson, Scott, a brother, Daryl Wiese, a sister, Dorothy Sorenson and her stepmother, Frieda Wiese.
Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Death date: July 19, 2012
Oct. 11, 1917 - July 19, 2012
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines