Aug. 9, 1951 - Nov. 24, 2012
Melvin J. “Spike” Dirks, 61, of Miles, Iowa, died Saturday, November 24, 2012, at his home.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa. Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa. Burial will be in the Salem Lutheran Cemetery, Spragueville, Iowa, with military honors.
Melvin John Dirks was born August 9, 1951, in Anamosa, Iowa, the son of Robert G. and Nita (Farrington) Dirks. He married Eleanor “Ellie” Jones on May 15, 1971, in Camanche, Iowa.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Army serving in Germany during the Vietnam War.
Spike worked for Miners & Beatrice Cheese in Preston until 1995.
He was a member of the Spragueville Lutheran Church, Spragueville, Iowa.
Survivors include his wife, Eleanor “Ellie” Dirks of Miles; one daughter, Melissa (Randy) Cutler of Maquoketa; one son, Michael Dirks of Charlotte; his mother, Nita Dirks of Maquoketa; 3 sisters, Susan Neunauber of Anamosa, Robin Gibson of Elwood and Royce (& Jr. Johnson) Dirks of Sabula; 4 brothers, Rick (Bev) Dirks of Lost Nation, Mark Dirks of Maquoketa, Walter Dirks of Rochester, Minnesota, and Matthew (Becky) Dirks of Maquoketa; and a sister-in-law, JoAnn Clark of Delmar.
He was preceded in death by his father; a granddaughter, Tricia; and one brother, Berdette.
Memorials are preferred.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
Aug. 9, 1951 - Nov. 24, 2012
- Geffrey E. Galloway Geffrey E. Galloway March 11, 1950 - March 6, 2014 MECHANICSVILLE -- Geffrey E. Galloway, 63, died March 6, 2014 in his Mechanicsville home. Visitation/open house for Geff will be from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 13 at Fry Funeral Home in Ti
- William Wagner THOMSON, Ill. -- William Wagner, 90, of Thomson, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Thomson. Burial with military rites will take place at Lower York C
- Richard N. Varner Richard N. Varner May 29, 1929 - March 9, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center South Campus. Honoring his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Funeral services will be Thursday,
- James C. Thyne James C. Thyne Feb. 19, 1952 - March 10, 2014 CLINTON -- James C. Thyne, age 62, of Clinton, passed away Monday, March 10, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals. A Mass will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, March 15th, at Prince of Peace Par
- Alberta J. Wiebenga MORRISON, Ill. -- Alberta J. Wiebenga, 82, of Morrison, died Monday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home with Ken Renkes, director of Congrega
- Bernice Bartels DELMAR -- Bernice Bartels, 93, of Delmar, died Tuesday at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday at First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at th
- Michael Scott Lord Michael Scott Lord June 10, 1964 - March 9, 2014 SIKESTON, Mo. -- Michael Scott Lord, age 49, formerly of Maysville, was born June 10, 1964 and passed away March 9, 2014 in Sikeston, Missouri. Michael was a graduate of Maysville High School and Misso
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- More Obituaries Headlines