Aug. 9, 1951 - Nov. 24, 2012
Melvin J. “Spike” Dirks, 61, of Miles, Iowa, died Saturday, November 24, 2012, at his home.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa. Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa. Burial will be in the Salem Lutheran Cemetery, Spragueville, Iowa, with military honors.
Melvin John Dirks was born August 9, 1951, in Anamosa, Iowa, the son of Robert G. and Nita (Farrington) Dirks. He married Eleanor “Ellie” Jones on May 15, 1971, in Camanche, Iowa.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Army serving in Germany during the Vietnam War.
Spike worked for Miners & Beatrice Cheese in Preston until 1995.
He was a member of the Spragueville Lutheran Church, Spragueville, Iowa.
Survivors include his wife, Eleanor “Ellie” Dirks of Miles; one daughter, Melissa (Randy) Cutler of Maquoketa; one son, Michael Dirks of Charlotte; his mother, Nita Dirks of Maquoketa; 3 sisters, Susan Neunauber of Anamosa, Robin Gibson of Elwood and Royce (& Jr. Johnson) Dirks of Sabula; 4 brothers, Rick (Bev) Dirks of Lost Nation, Mark Dirks of Maquoketa, Walter Dirks of Rochester, Minnesota, and Matthew (Becky) Dirks of Maquoketa; and a sister-in-law, JoAnn Clark of Delmar.
He was preceded in death by his father; a granddaughter, Tricia; and one brother, Berdette.
Memorials are preferred.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
Aug. 9, 1951 - Nov. 24, 2012
- Karl H. Hoover CLINTON — Karl H. Hoover, 59, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic in Iowa City. Private burial will be at the Rock Island, Illinois, National Cemetery. There will be no services or visitation. Death date: July 22,
- Gracie Lynn Ungs DUBUQUE — Gracie Lynn Ungs, infant daughter of Jennifer Hamilton and Jacob Ungs, died July 17.Private services will be held.
- Arlyn S. Cady PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — Arlyn S. Cady, 90, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday at home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Prophetstown. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. Saturday until the time of the service at the church.
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- Nellie Douma Morrison, Ill.Nellie DoumaNellie Douma, 97, of Morrison, died Jan. 21 at Morrison Community Hospital.Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Brentley Louis Kemp MAQUOKETA — Brentley Louis Kemp, infant son of Justin and Michelle (Pierson) Kemp, of Maquoketa, died July 10.Private services will be held. Death date: July 10, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DEWITT — Brenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus.
- Bernice Viola Sander Bernice Viola SanderOct. 17, 1913 - July 17, 2014CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday, July 17, 2014 at home after 100 great years and will be missed by all her family.Memorial services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, July 25, 2
- More Obituaries Headlines