Aug. 9, 1951 - Nov. 24, 2012
Melvin J. “Spike” Dirks, 61, of Miles, Iowa, died Saturday, November 24, 2012, at his home.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa. Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa. Burial will be in the Salem Lutheran Cemetery, Spragueville, Iowa, with military honors.
Melvin John Dirks was born August 9, 1951, in Anamosa, Iowa, the son of Robert G. and Nita (Farrington) Dirks. He married Eleanor “Ellie” Jones on May 15, 1971, in Camanche, Iowa.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Army serving in Germany during the Vietnam War.
Spike worked for Miners & Beatrice Cheese in Preston until 1995.
He was a member of the Spragueville Lutheran Church, Spragueville, Iowa.
Survivors include his wife, Eleanor “Ellie” Dirks of Miles; one daughter, Melissa (Randy) Cutler of Maquoketa; one son, Michael Dirks of Charlotte; his mother, Nita Dirks of Maquoketa; 3 sisters, Susan Neunauber of Anamosa, Robin Gibson of Elwood and Royce (& Jr. Johnson) Dirks of Sabula; 4 brothers, Rick (Bev) Dirks of Lost Nation, Mark Dirks of Maquoketa, Walter Dirks of Rochester, Minnesota, and Matthew (Becky) Dirks of Maquoketa; and a sister-in-law, JoAnn Clark of Delmar.
He was preceded in death by his father; a granddaughter, Tricia; and one brother, Berdette.
Memorials are preferred.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
Aug. 9, 1951 - Nov. 24, 2012
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- More Obituaries Headlines