Sept. 13, 1919 - Nov. 26, 2012
Dorothy Mardel Finch Pieczynski Oakes passed from this life on Monday, November 26, 2012. Dorothy resided at Prairie Hills where she enjoyed renewing friendships with classmates of years gone by and making many new ones.
Visitation will be Friday, November 30, 2012, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Graveside services will be at 1 p.m. at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Clinton.
Dorothy was born in Clinton to Ed and Clara (Hansen) Finch on September 13, 1919. She married Anton Pieczynski in March of 1938. Tony and Dorothy ran Tony’s Tavern on Camanche Avenue until 1954 when they opened Sportsman’s Exchange, 910 South 4th Street, Clinton. They retired to Bellevue, Iowa, where their love of antiques turned into a business, Heritage Antiques, which they owned and operated until 1982 when Tony passed away. Dorothy returned to Clinton and resided on Millcrest Court. In 1986, she married Tom Oakes; that marriage ended in divorce.
She shared a love of fishing with Tony all their married lives. Fishing Big & Little Winnie in Minnesota each year and trout on Bloody Run near Marquette and walleye at the Clinton and Bellevue dams on the Mississippi. Her other interests were golf, bowling and bridge. In the past she served as a grey lady for the Red Cross working at the Schick Hospital as an instructor teaching leathercraft and copper tooling. She was a Girl Scout and Cub Scout leader and introduced many of her children’s friends to the joy of fishing. She was also a member of Prince of Peace Catholic Church and the Clinton and Fulton Country clubs.
She is survived by her daughter, Rita (Mark) Waage and son, Richard (Trish) Peiczynski; nine grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, a sister, three sisters-in-law and numerous nieces and nephews and good friends, Donna and Ben Ehrhart.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Tony; one son, Frank in 2007; and infant son; her parents; brothers, Cliff, Bob, Earl, Chuck and Eddie Finch; a sister, Fay (Howard) Sentman; an infant sister; brothers-in-law, Walcow Pieczynski and Joe Pieczynski; and her special friend of more than twenty years, Bob Chalgren (2009); and her best friends, Lavina Bostock, Marion Doyle, Winnie Shull, Fran Ladehoff, Lucy Kurtz and Ann Lehman.
The family requests that memorials may be made to the American Heart Association.
Death date: Nov. 26, 2012
Sept. 13, 1919 - Nov. 26, 2012
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller June 7, 1932 - March 7, 2014 BELLEVUE -- Lavonne "Tooty" Miller, 81, of Bellevue, Iowa, passed away Friday evening, March 7, 2014 at her home in Bellevue. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11:00 a.m., Tuesday morni
- Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Andrew Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Theresa M. Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Wilma J. Owen DEWITT -- Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A service of Christian burial will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Gra
- Jerry Marquez Jr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- Jerry Marquez Jr., 77, died last Wednesday in Savanna. Burial will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Rock Island National Cemetery in Rock Island, Ill. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Sava
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
- More Obituaries Headlines